VX-4V review by Cort

Cort: VX-4V

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Musikbörsen

I mainly play a combination of metal and punk and this guitar suits my needs perfectly. I play it through a Line 6 Spider II amp with a Vox Tonelab LE. I mainly use the amp for practice and the Vox for recording and I'm able to achieve the sound I want through both systems. With full distortion I can blast through my metal riffs and licks with squeels, palm mutes and harmonics sounding real mean. With only overdrive I get a dirty enough sound for my punk riffs. The neck setting provides a perfect sound for heavy riffing and rythm parts whereas the bridge setting provides top notch sound for lead guitar. I play more rythm than lead, but this guitar makes even me sound pretty good. On middle setting with clean output the guitar gives a rich warm sound that is perfect for the clean parts I tend to play in some of my songs. I do have one issue tho, which is probably more my fault than the guitars, the pickups sound a bit too sensitive and I tend to get some kind of "ghosting" on some of my notes, especially on sweeps and faster arpeggios. My previous guitar couldn't produce a good sound on tremolo picked notes, but this guitar does that beautifully.

Seeing as I play mostly distorted and overdriven music like metal and punk this guitar matches my needs perfectly. The sound is loud, mean and spot on and it even suits my needs for clean sound in some of my songs. I've been playing for about 4 years and this is my only guitar, since I sell my previous guitars when I buy a new one. If this guitar was stolen I'd buy a new one asap. I love the fact that it's so easy and fast to play, you can reach everything without straining your hand and the pickups are perfect for my kind of music. I hate the fact that I never learn how big that long wing is and I always knock it against things, but I can't blame the guitar for my stupidity. I compared this to the Jackson KE3-Kelly. I chose this one due to the sound, the hardcase, the price and the accessibility. The KE3-Kelly is roughly 300 more expensive than this (even more with case), and in my opinion this guitar sounds and plays better than that one.

I haven't had a time to try this out Live yet, but that huge wing might serve as a problem at least on account of the finish. I've banged it against stuff on more than one occasion and the finish is still looking good, but I can easily see myself scratching it up badly by running around on stage. Strap buttons seem solid tho the strap position is sort of awkward if you're not used to it, and the hardware feels like it'll last a long time. Barring the guitar cable getting screwed up, I think I'd be good without a backup.

The guitar was set up as I wanted it from the shop. I had to retune it a bit and adjust the bridge, but the pickups were adjusted good enough and the action was spot on. The only flaw I've noticed so far is that the guitar cable might rock loose sometimes when I swing it around a lot.

Made in 2008 in Indonesia (I think) this guitar sports 24 frets on a maple neck with a mahogany body and a black metallic finish. Body style is V-ish with a longer "wing" that's HUGE. Three way switch, one tone and one volume knob. Double locking bridge, EMG-HZ H4 pickups and a locking nut with retainer bar. The big plus for me was the included case that came with all necessery tools and an extra guitar cable. The neck is what really got me when I tried it out. My previous guitar had a pretty Standard neck and I found it hard to reach both high and low frets, but with this I can reach everything perfectly at both the first and twenty-forth fret. A job well done.

pawan285
    mega_frog0
    I really love the look of these, but no guitar shops in England seem to have them for love nor money. Which is a shame because I am looking for an alternative to the Jackson RR's and ESP SV's/Alexi models. And this fits, and exceeds the bill
    Way Cool JR.
    God I want this guitar Corts are some of the best guitars made and a Rohd's style at that. It's no surprise they are better than the Jackson's and ESP's. My friends with Fender's and Gibson's like my 86' Cort better than there guitars because it plays and sounds better.
    Cantplay4penuts
    pawan285 wrote: hEy thanx a lot guys for ur review on this guitar , The only thing what i wanted to ask now is which amplifier would be the best suited for this guitar, i was thinking of purchasing Line6 spider III 30, I currently have a Roland cube20x
    2 of the line 6's broke on me (same model), get a bbigger and better amp IMO, the first one's effects where ****ed, took it back, they just gave me a new one, after a year the electronics ****ed themselves and the dude that did the warenty couldnt fix it.
    TripleN666
    the first reviewer doesnt have a clue what the **** he's talking about. ...17.8Kohms of power... ...quietness throughout the 50-60 hertz frequency (less humming)... Made me laugh though
    wahwahfighter
    Gotta get a BL L500 and a BKP Aftermath and it is going to be legen... wait for it... dary!!! :