VX-4X review by Cort

Cort: VX-4X

Purchased from: Mercury Music

I play Melodic death metal mostly, but a bit of everything now and then. The Cort vx-4x has an amazingly crisp sound and works excellent with or even without distortion. Although it lacks the soft smooth sound to play jazz or blues, but this guitar looks way too hardcore for such genres anyway.

Being a metalhead at heart with a love of both intricate melodies and hardcore thrashing, this guitar satisfies all-around. I have been playing for about 5 years and this is my 5th guitar, and the best yet. If it were stolen I would buy another one without a moments hesitation. I love this guitars sound and its utter hardcore look the shape creates. Before buying it I compared it to many other guitars but decided on this one because of it's extremely reasonable price for the quality. Sometimes I find myself trying to reach for a whammy bar, but then again it just wouldn't look right on this guitar.

I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about this guitar in terms of reliabilaty and durabilaty, and since it comes with a Coffin case you never have to worry about damage while transporting between venues. I imagine that if scratched it would be rather pricey to touch-up, but the paint job has seemed quite hardy to me thus far.

The Cort VX-4X is very well put together, and finished beautifully, the pickups are excellent. The craftmanship is nothing less than amazing. I have the white version of the guitar and the pearlescent glow looks brilliant in sunlight or stage-light. Furthermore the bio-hazard symbols and celtic patterns on the neck create an excellent impression along with the carbon-fiber pick-gaurd.

# CONSTRUCTION - Set-in # BODY - Mahogany # NECK - Maple 3pc, Modern "C" Shape # NECK WIDTH - 1F : 43mm / 22F : 56mm # NECK THICKNESS - 1F : 19.5mm / 12F : 21.5mm # FINGERBOARD - Rosewood, 12" Radius (305mm) # FRET - 22 / Jumbo (2.9mm) # INLAY - VX Custom Inlay w/ Biohazard Symbols # TUNER - Die cast # SCALE - 24 3/4" (629mm) # NUT - Graphite # Bridge - TonePros Lic. Locking C-TPFP Bridge & CT1 tailpiece # PICKUP - EMG-HZ H4 (H-H) # CONTROL - 1vol, 1tone, 3way toggle # PICKUP SWITCHING - 3-Position # HARDWARE - BK (Black) # UNIQUE FEATURE - Carbon Fiber Pattern Pickguard # STRING - D'Addario EXL110(046-010) # COLOR - BKM (Black Metallic), WP (White Pearl) # LEFTY - N/A

TheKingViK
    Is the body of the guitar big, or what's it size compared to the original ESP Explorer( the ones that James Hetfield uses)?
    ThomasL94
    I have a Jackson with HZs in it, never play it now. They're possibly even muddier than the active EMGs.
    Rumpi
    Hey!I've just read the review of cort vx 4v and I can't see a big difference between these two guitars.Then why is the 4v that much more vaunted than the 4x.Just compare the users' rating.....can't figure it out!!!
    Good_Lord
    I'd put real EMG's in it , but the carbon fiber pickguard is lovely !
    Emg's are not muddy , Blackouts are , tried both extensively.