X-1 review by Cort

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Cort: X-1

Price paid: € 95

Purchased from: Local auction website

Nothing special here. Cheap humbucker - good quality body wood combo. I really like the sound of it. I have a small Orange Crush 10, which I usually play with. The guitar is quite universal (with all the advantages and disadvantages of this), so you can play almost everything on it. I play mostly metal and punk, but sometimes also a little blues for the fun.

You want a metal guitar for starting? You got it. Its made of good materials, and its assembled good. But don't expect too much, this guitar is not for playing on the big stage. In conclusion, I think it definitely does have a good price/value ratio. Worth buying if you are on low budget, but do not want a plastic toy guitar. I'd give it a 6.5, but since there is no such option, and I have some good memories of this instrument, let it be a 7.

It's massive. Built to last? It is if you are using it for practicing - in case you aren't practicing all day & night long. But I suggest not going on a world tour without a backup. Just for safety. Its not that high-class, high-end guitar. But a small gig is definitely OK, I would bet some money that it won't let you down.

What can I say? It's assembled, just like it has to be. The factory setup is quite good, I barely needed to adjust the bridge to get the string height fit my playing style. Only thing I noticed and didn't like is that the pickup selector is a bit noisy. No flaws, no rust, no loose controls. A tiny little paint flow on the back, but barely visible.

Lets take an overall look at the official specifications:

Construction: Bolt-on
Body: Agathis
Neck: Maple, Modern "U" Shape
Fretboard: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius(400mm)
Frets: 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm)
Scale: 25 1/2" (648mm)
Inlay: White Dot
Bridge: EG7BV 6-screw Vintage Tremolo
Tuners: Cap covered
Pickups: EG4B (H-H)
Electronics: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5way s/w
Strings: D'Addario USA
Hardware: Chrome

Its new price is about 125 ($150). But yeah... About the specification... It does not have a 5-way selector, just 3-way in real life. Mine was made in Indonesia. I bought it used, it was about 1 year old when I got it. Came with a neck strap and a cheap gig bag.

Chemicalknight
    I'm disappointed in the negative review this guitar got. I just got this guitar a couple weeks back and I love it. Nothing wrong with it at all, and for that price? Seriously it's worth your money.
    jean_genie
    Good review. I was always extremely pleased with Cort, considering what they cost.
    dingdongdead
    BFMVRocker wrote: I'd rather prefer the x-1 over a cheap Ibanez or a yamaha Pacifica
    Disturbdkornkid
    Oooo pertty. I would definitely get one of those to mod the hell out of, the body looks damn good.
    Peter Metal
    Hi guys! I'a beguinner player. Would this guitar be a good buy Vs the Epiphone Les paul special guitar II or would this be better? Thank u
    cybex88
    well i have got it 2 months back and it was my 1st electric guitar and i was too excited to get it back home which i didn't notice the screws on the pickup were rusty :-(.Anyway for that price can't complain much.Got it for in malaysia for RM695.
    polly88
    What do you guys rate is better. The SX pirate SG or the cort X-1?
    BFMVRocker
    I have an X-1 & it has been almost 2 years & it was my first electric guitar. It has not largely disappointed me, but sometimes the guitar goes out of tune when u excessively use the tremolo. Its looks,sound & pickups are descent for a guitar so cheap.But if u can buy something a little more expensive go 4 the X-2 or X-6 which has some cool graphics on it.