X-1 review by Cort

Cort: X-1

I am mostly into heavy metal and I play Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc and the guitar sounds perfectly for what I play. I use Stranger Cube 80 amplifier and Zoom G1XN processor and the guitar sounds perfectly. But sometimes I find the guitar is having a buzzing noise when I plug it first time say for about a week. But after playing for about an hour the buzzing stops. Now the clean noise of the guitar is good, keeping in mind the genre of music I play, I am fully satisfied with the sound of this guitar. I've played it with Ibanez RG2550Z prestige and the Cort came out with flying colors. The fret board is great and smooth and one can easily shred using this guitar. But it doesn't sounds good up the neck specially at the 23rd and 24th frets of the first string. In short simply loved its sound considering the price one pays for the guitar.

Now for heavy metal and Rock music this is the perfect guitar you can dream about. It can surely take out other guitars at the price range it comes with flying colors. The sound is great. In distortion and clean it sounds awesome. Before buying do check out the volume and tone knob because mine volume knob was somewhat not smooth. But had it repaired. And now it works great. If the guitar were stolen/lost I would go for one of the Jackson King V or one of the Ibanez RGs. Though I love this guitar very much I would certainly like to move on to higher range guitars which would be reliable for gigs. As earlier stated I love everything this guitar offers (specially the sound) except its reliability. I compared it with Ibanez RG2550Z prestige and the sound it produces is compatible with the Ibanez. I chose it mainly because its touch, sound, finish and looks at the price it comes. I simply wish the guitar was a little reliable in gigs. So if you can compromise its reliability its "the" guitar for you. So deducting 3 for the lack of good reliability in gigs a 7 overall stars for this guitar.

Now here comes the real lacking of this guitar. It will never withstand a long live gig because it goes out of tune after 1-2 songs, specially the solo strings. Its a great guitar for jamming but for long gigs its not at all suitable. The hardware is good (if not great) because the guitar fell for about 3-4 times and survived them. So surely it will last and with proper care it'll be there for a lifetime. The strap buttons are solid. I don't have any other guitar for gigs so after every song I have to check for the tune of the strings which is pretty much irritating. So for gigs always use a backup. Overall for its durability I would give it a perfect 10 but for the lack of reliability in gigs I would deduct 5 from it. So 5 for reliability and durability together.

The overall finish and set up of the guitar is superb. Plus if someone goes by the design of the guitar at the price it comes, he'll surely rate it a perfect 10. Now I've been playing this guitar (Cort X-1) for about a year now but couldn't simply find a flaw in its action and fit n finish. So a perfect 10 for this Guitar.

My Cort X-1 was made in Indonesia. Its a X-1 BK - Black colored, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, Canadian hard Maple neck, Agathis body, 6 screw Vintage tremolo, Powersound PSEG4-1F & PSEG4-1R (H-H) (passive) pickups. Volume and tone & 3-way selector. The finish is good, really loved it.