X-1 review by Cort

Purchased from: Hungary Olasz és Társa Hangszerbolt Miskolc

• Construction: Bolt-on
  • Body: Agathis
  • Neck: Canadian Hard Maple
  • Fretboard: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius(400mm)
  • Frets: 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm)
  • Scale: 25 1/2" (648mm)
  • Inlay: White Dot
  • Tuners: Cap covered
  • Bridge: 6-screw Vintage Tremolo (It is really bad quality,but it's obvious because it is a cheap guitar
  • Pickups: Powersound PSEG4-1F & PSEG4-1R (H-H)
  • Electronics: 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way lever(this is wrong in the Cort's site,because there they write 5!)
  • Hardware: CR (Chrome)
  • Strings: (042-009)
Because of the tremolo and pickup, I give just 8 points.

The instrument was made for metal music, and the guitar's appearance also shows it. Well, it is true, because its distorted sound can be really good, but its clean isn't the best. Basically, the pickups are cheap and low quality, but as I said, it is good for metal for me. I have a Floyd Rose guitar and I use it for other tunings (not E standard).

I use it with Roland Cube 20XL modelling amp, but I tried it on better amps, too. Anyway, its sound can obviously improved by an expensive amp, but in general the clean isn't good enough. It isn't noisy. The tremolo is "just decoration," because if I use it, the tuning goes away. To sum up, I recommend it as a rhythm guitar, but it can be used as a solo guitar without using the tremolo as well.

As I bought it in a music shop, it was well adjusted, and it hadn't got any problem later, as well. I could played on it as I had gone home. I have had it for 4 years, and it hasn't got any damage except some abrasion. The guitar contains no flaws (misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector, loose controls, etc...) I think the Cort is a very good brand, so it's natural that they make quality.

As I sad, it is really reliable and as I see, durable, too. It will withstand live playing and the hardware seem like it will last. The strap buttons are solid, they hold the guitar well. I really depend on the Cort intruments, so I'm sure I would use it on a gig without a backup. The finish is good enough to last, and it doesn't seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing. Sometimes I must clean the freatboard and the body of the guitar. I have the varnished version, it keeps the fingerprints, but if I clean it, it looks like as a new guitar.

It was my first electric guitar, ever since I have a Yamaha RGX420DzII as well. I hadn't got enough money, so I sold the Cort. But later I realised that it could be useful for other tunings, so I bought it for about 75 euro. The Cort is a really reliable brand, they make quality. I use it for heavier rock music, and it is a good match. If it were stolen, maybe I would buy it again, because it's cheap, but good quality.

To sum up:

Advantages: cheap, good quality, 24 frets, good for metal, good for its price.
Disadvantages: the pickup isn't the best, very bad tremolo.