X-11 review by Cort

Cort: X-11

Purchased from: Braganza

I play metal, from high gain riffs to very soothing arpeggios. This guitar has not dissapointed me yet. I have a Ibanez TSA15H tube head, I use it through the Ibanez 112C cabinet. For distortion I use the DigiTech TL2 metal distortion (which is amazing), Boss DD-7, Boss BD-2, Digitech RV-7 reverb, Boss NS-2 for noise supression and I have a TS9 built on the front end of my amp. With this setup I can get all kinds of crazy tones out, from high gain metal core riffs to absolutely warm overdrive tones similar to that of buckethead or an extremely clean distortion for shredding. Using the coil-taps you can get a really thin sound, and if you want a fat tone you just use the humbuckers. Dry clean tones are not that amazing, but along with delay and reverb it sounds nice. It is important to adjust the volume and tone knobs properly in this axe to get a good tone out of it as the pickups are high gain ones. I have used other guitars on my setup also like the Blackjack-ATX, the X-11 sounds as good to me as the other guitars did. But the thing about this Cort X-11 axe is that it wont restrict you to just one style of playing like most other axes do. You will find yourself playing thrash, shred, and stuff like opeth also with this axe because of its tonal range, from warm (when you have the tone knob low and you are using the neck humbuckers) to very bright (when you are using the neck humbuckers and have coil tap on, and your tone knob is maxed out). This guitar has a bit of a hum when you have the coil tap as well as distortion on, but I use the NS-2 to do away with it (it kind of messes up my picking dynamics, but I use the coil-tap normally for clean tones, and there is no noise then, so I don't have use the NS-2).

This guitar has been an ideal match for the kind of music I play. If I lose this guitar and I have only $500, I would definitely buy this axe again. If I have, say $800, then I would hesitate to buy this axe again and try some other guitar instead. I would say that if you are low on cash and want to get a good guitar, the Cort X-11 is the best axe you can get.

This is where I bring up the only flaw about this guitar. It has a really sh-tty bridge. I broke my saddles twice (I don't know, it assholes whom I loaned my guitar might be responsible for that happening than the poor bridge). I got fustrated and got it replaced with a Floyd Rose liscenced bridge, and playing this guitar after having the Bridge replaced has been a far better experience. The Bridge is probably not that bad as I describe it, but I myself had a bitter experience owning this guitar because of the bridge.I would say that the guitar is flawless in all other respects (and it only comes for $450). I have used this guitar live numerous times and it has never broken down while playing live (The Bridge saddles broke during string replacement, when I loosened the nuts, and co-incidentally just after loaning it).

This guitar came with nines, but I put tens instead and readjusted the truss rod, action myself to get all string buzz off and still having a comfortable touch. I moreover have a constant action all over the fretboard and my string action is not that high, I can shred comfortably on the action I have. There are no string buzzes.With this guitar I would recommend you to use tens, because some other guys I know who own this guitar use nines and they have to deal with fret buzz all the time. I also reduced the pickup heights to get a good tone out of it. It did not sound as good with the factory setting than after I adjusted the pickup heights.

Made in Indonesia, this axe comes with 24-jumbo frets, two EMG-OC1 humbuckers(neck and bridge), and a middle SC1 single coil, bosswood body, rosewood fingerboard, three piece maple neck and a maple flame top. The body is contoured, and it has a shitty Cort generic floating Bridge of the Floyd Rose type.The pickups are passive, but high gain. There is a 5-way Switch, a volume and a tone knob (push pull).It has coil tap, which means by pulling the tone knob up your humbuckers operate as single coils. The tuners are locking, as it has a double locking Floyd Rose like tremolo system. Now considering the price I paid for this guitar($450), I would say that this guitar has lots of more features than you would expect. There are far more inferior axes out there which are more costly.

BFMVRocker
    Should i buy one of these coz they look good & the reviews & comments say so 2 & the price suits me well. Can any user tell me if the bridge is really 'shitty'? PLEASE
    rub3nmv
    Can any user tell me if the bridge is really 'shitty'?
    The bridge is great, really, obviously it's not as "flexible" as the floyd on a 1200 guitar, but it's doesn't go out of tune. I got it now for about 3 years and still happy with it.