X-2 review by Cort

Cort: X-2

Purchased from: Swee Lee Music Company (SG)

I've been playing the guitar for about 3 months when I got it. I usually play metal (Judas Priest/Iron Maiden) and Rock (Def Leppard/Motley Crue) and they all sound very good to me on this guitar. I'm using a Peavey Rage 158 amp with it. No pedals at the moment. It does hum a bit when I turn up the Gain on the amp. It makes a pretty heavy sound on the Rage when you turn up the volume knob on both of them and the Bass and Treble knobs on the Peavey. The bridge pickup is bright and the neck pickup is pretty warm. It's great for all style of music I would say.

As I said, I've been playing metal since I've picked up guitaring, my experiences with this guitar shows that this guitar is made for rock and metal. Now, I've been playing for about 5 months and occasionally use a Boss OS-2 pedal (Overdrive/Distortion) with my Rage and it sounds really good. If this guitar were stolen, I'll hunt that guy down, stick a shovel up his crack and get it back. I doubt it'll get lost 'cause it's so big and beside me all the time when I take it out of the house. But honestly, I would buy this guitar again should anything happen to it and even if I were the richest man in the world. I am currently considering another Cort X-Series guitar, X-6 and it looks like I will never ditch this guitar for that. I will most likely play between the two. This guitar can compare to Ibanezes and actually win it at 1/2 to 3/4 the price. This is a must buy for all Cort fanatics and a recommendation by me.

Well. Yeah this guitar would survive me playing metal while doing all that head banging and guitar stunts. But one thing is that my pick caused some scratches on the finish but it ain't visible unless you Shine a really bright light at an angle. The hardware are pretty sturdy except for the cover on the pickup selector. It came off once or twice and I had to search under the furniture for it. I got sick of it and added a litle glue and stuck it back. Now it's there for good. Strap buttons so solid you could try prying it off with the back of a hammer and all you'll get is a broken hammer. It is that sturdy.

The action was pretty high for Children Of Bodom songs but after fiddling with the bridge, I managed to lower the action till the minimum before it would buzz. My pickups came with plastic sheets on them so, yeah, they were in mint condition when I removed the sheets. Other than the strap buttons (read above), the only flaw was the output jack which became shaky when I played it for the second week. Fixed that in a jiffy.

I'm not quite sure when it's made. But it's gotta be pretty recent as I got the display set but it looks like a brand new one. It's made in Indonesia though. This guitar has a pair of very sturdy strap buttons. The only drawback is that they are slightly too large for standard straps and may take quite a while to fit them in. But once you get the strap in, it's gonna be real hard to fall out.