X-2 review by Cort

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Cort: X-2

Purchased from: local music store

I play about everything from country to blues to classic rock to hard rock but not metal or classical. I think this guitar would probably be best for someone a little more on the metal side, although it is amazingly versatile, I thought, for the price. I usually just plug straight thru a Kustom 65 watt amp or Crate 120, no effects. The bad thing about the guitar is its noise. If you just let it sit there is a considerable amount of fuzz unless you put your hand over the strings or turn it down. I can't really nail down whether this thing is bright or rich because it really depends on what setting it is on. Like I said, it is very versatile and can go from a Tele to a LP with basically just flipping the switch. I would say it leans toward the bright side because it can get really muddy with the bridge pickup on and the tone down.

I think this isnt a bad match for me and my playing but it is also a cheap guitar, and when I was starting out it was perfect. Now I have gotten better and have moved on to better guitars but I would reccomend it to someone starting out. I don't think it would be stolen by anyone who knows guitars but if I lost it I would probably just buy a Fat Strat. I love its versatility and I hate the intonation. I also like guitars with humbuckers, if you havent noticed. I wish I had the whammy bar for it, then I might like it a little more.

This guitar wont stand much live playing, although I did a little with it and it held up OK. The knobs have had a tendency to fall off, the Switch bent, the screws that hold the bridge springs in on the back came out, the intonation went out so I had a tech fix it, and the last straw was the jack broke again so I fixed it and bought a LP. The Cort is now my backup, and I trust it, but it is definitely not my first choice. The finish has held up well, I just got to the point where I didn't care and so there are now some scratches but not bad.

Action I would say is low, I am not a guitar tech by any means but the pickups were good, I have never adjusted them or tried to. Some sharp spots on the fretboard, and one dead spot. When I got it there was something wrong with the cable jack so I had to get that fixed, and getting it intonized is always a challenge.

Made in 2003, in Indonesia. 24 fat or jumbo (rosewood) frets, I think, they are bigger than my Epi Les Paul's frets. It's a laminated maple top. The finish is a dark red, and has held up pretty well considering what it has been through. It's got a shape similar to a Strat, with volume, one tone, and a 3-way switch for the 2 humbuckers. The tuners are not locking and definitely nothing special. I may have been given a cable at the store but nothing actually came with the guitar. There is a hole for the whammy bar but they didn't give me the whammy bar.