X-6 review by Cort

Cort: X-6

I play lots of metal, such as Pantera, Mudvayne, Slipknot, System Of A Down and also play a little bit of punk and hardcore. This guitar is metal. If you play metal, this is your new best friend, it has lovely distortion, huge sustain and and harmonics extremely well. Although it is good for metal it is not bad on clean if you use the neck pickup or change the pickups to single coil its good. Plays punk very well too. I use a Behringer GMX210 and is great in this combination, but have tried it on a Line 6 Spyder and it rips so much harder. It doesn't give the slightest bit of noise and has minimal feedback even on high volumes. The variety of sound you can make with this guitar is amazing, its floyd is amazing coming from this guitar, it can hold out huge bends easily.

Overall this guitar is perfect for my style of music and I think any style really. I've been playing a year and I can honestly say its the best guitar I have played in its price range. Its quality compared to price is supreme, before buying this product I should have asked if they could just leave it and not set it up, becuase it was terrible. If it were lost or stolen I would definatly buy it again even if I had 5 grand because its a great guitar and I would still want it in my gear rack. It trem is its best feature, followed by its pickups, I compared it to the RG170DX, even though I haven't played it, I've heard about it and its componenets dont look too apitising, I could compare it to the 370DX and say that they are probably about the same quality but the X-6 is just so much cheaper, a better alternative, save you money, buy something extra like a pedal if you need it. Final verdict: equal quality of an Ibanez at half the cost.

Even though I have had this guitar only a few days my outlook so far would be that it is virtually unbreakable, even after the whammy session I had this afternoon with mates (and it was pretty tough for it) it's still in top shape. The strap buttons are solid and the wood is tough but light. I can't depend on it for a gig, I would have to use a backup, the only reason for that is that you can't change tunings in under 10 minutes no matter how good you are at it.

They said they would get a proffesional to "set it up" for me. Okay well a bunch of blind monkeys with a blunt knife could set it up better than him. I got one of my friends who was quite familiar with tremelo systems to check it out and set it up for me, now it plays like a dream. Everything on the guitar was in perfect condition, nothing comes loose, nothing is poorly fitted and nothing is loose. The action is easily adjusted, just make sure you keep the bridge flush with the base while you do that. The tuning is extremely hard, the first time I did it, it took me just under an hour, but I'm getting better, you have to get used to it. It's annoying, you get it really well tuned and then lock it and it goes out of wack, you have to use the fine tuners for like 5 minutes and sometimes you have to retune and lock again. I found that you tune it a little higher than usual then just use the fine tune to tune it up or down, whichebver way it goes out of whack. So really if your not patient, please dont get this guitar, it will end up in peices on the floor.

2004 or 2005 model, made in Indonesia, alder body, jumbo frets, bolt-on maple neck. It is the shape of an RG/Strat with contoured body, has a floyd rose license double locking (double locking on newer models) tremelo, Mightymite pickups, 2 humbuckers 1 single coil, coil tap (changes 2 humbuckers into single coil circuitry). The features are great. With that many you would expect the guitar to be a peice of rubbish for the price. The truth is, it's not.