X-6 review by Cort

Cort: X-6

Purchased from: Notewothy Music

When I bought this guitar I was in a death metal/technical band, and it suits it down to the ground. I played the x6 through a Roland Cube 60. The combination of the high output pickups and the basswood make for a very 'metal' sounding guitar. The guitar has 7 different pickup choices (5 way selector and coil tap) so is very versatile. Sometimes I played on the clean channel and the coil tap makes the guitar sound beautiful, but push that coil tap down, roll up the gain and you are playing a monster.

The guitar is an absolute stonker, if you have enough cash for this and not a real ibanex buy this. I bought this guitar when I had been playing for 2 years, by the time I sold this (I don't know why I sold it) I could play such technical metal as Necrophagist. I really felt myself progress and this is the perfect guitar to do so. I am going to buy it again soon, if anyone had stolen it I would buy another defiatly.

This guitar is built like a s##t brickhouse, it is also rather heavy as a result (but you do get some nice sustain). The whammy bar actually broke in a few weeks, the inside coils that hold it tight when screwed on fell apart. The guitar has nicely positioned strap buttons. I would definatly use it for a gig with no backup. The hardware seems pretty solid to be honest.

The guitar wasn't even set up when I bought it so the shop did that on the day I bought it, but they set it up for E Standard whereas I play in D Standard with 0.52 strings. I will not lie; this guitar takes a while to change the strings and set up the trem. The neck had a chip in it which was filled with a clear resin, it did not affect the sound at all or the playability but shop didn't tell me about it. Everything else on the guitar was fine.

Basswood body. 'U' shape 5 piece neck. Rosewood fingerboard. 24 jumbo frets. Mity Mite Bluebucker pickups and single coil. Floyd Rose style trem. 1 volume, 1 tone (with push-pull coil tap) and 5 way selector. Non locking tuners. The guitar came with a cable and a set of allan keys.