Zenox Z22 review by Cort

Cort: Zenox Z22

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Finnish Musician's Forum muusikoiden.net (second hand)

Made in 2005 in Indonesia. Serial number 0505 beginning so in May 2005. Frets 23. I don't know about the scale or fret size, but good enough for my playing. I think solid top and wood is agathis, feels so soft, cheaper wood. Finish, lacquer finished wrong, a spot of size of a fingerprint. Doesn't affect playing according to the seller. I didn't notice much wrong sounds.

• Body style: strat like, with double cutaway.
  • String-thru body
  • Passive electronics
  • Volume and tone knob
  • Three-way pickup selector, two humbuckers I don't know more of them.
  • Factory's own tuners, if you bend in the blues, strings tend to go off the tune after a while. I think I might change them later.
When I bought this the man sent me a gigbag and strings.

It suits my style of playing pop, rock, blues and folk, occasional metal from 1960-1970's mostly. I also like Christmas carol and classic tunes. I use Fender Mustang I 20 W amp, it has nice overdrive and clean sounds for blues, heavy and 1960's music. Bright sound, but some amp modeling is muddy in the amp. Or I don't know how to change it. Sound is good, nice high sounds, ok bass and middle tones. I think this guitar can be used in many different styles. I wouldn't use this for country or 1950's rock, cause I think the pickups are too modern for that. Or I would need single coil pickups.

I can't say about the action, because previous owner might have changed it. Finish flaws in lacquering and cheap wood, also tuners don't hold the right pitch after many blues bends. Pickups move back and forth, so I think they are not well put. The bridge is ok. Tuning pegs are too loose. I think my seller put Dean Merkley strings .009 or .010-set to this guitar before sell it to me and the strings sound good. The frets are ok and the neck is good for playing, light weight guitar, can play fast solo.

I would gig with this and I am thinking about buying another Cort, a Les Paul copy from Thomann. This guitar would be my backup guitar and the Les Paul copy main guitar due to its better wood mahogany. Strap buttons are solid, but I had problem putting my Fender strap on the place, maybe the strap buttons are too large or the holes in the strap too small, I used knife and scissors to make them larger. My guitar is missing pickguard so I might damage the surface with my pick if not too careful.

For the price this guitar is a good find. I have played since 15 years old, so almost 15 years for now. I have owned many guitars:

• Hohner nylon string
  • two Ibanez steel string guitars
  • Jackson Performer heavy metal guitar
  • Laney and Roland amps
  • two Esp-Ltd Les Paul copies
  • and now this Cort.
Also I have two cheap keyboards, recorder and harmonica. I used to own ukulele and melodica too.

If this was stolen I would be sad and think about how to buy a new guitar, maybe Cort or Ibanez. This ok match for the music I play. I love how it's not so heavy and easy neck to play. I dislike tuners, seem to be too "soft," not last long playing.