Zenox Z22 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 12/08/2016 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: Zenox Z22
The Zenox is a futuristic guitar designed to maximize the playability of guitarists. With a special body contour and tapered area that are customized features unfound in this price range, its tone is responsive to the nuances of the player.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 9.2
 9.3
 9.1
 9,067
reviews (3) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Zenox Z22 Recently reviewed by: pera, on december 08, 2016

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Finnish Musician's Forum muusikoiden.net (second hand)

Features: Made in 2005 in Indonesia. Serial number 0505 beginning so in May 2005. Frets 23. I don't know about the scale or fret size, but good enough for my playing. I think solid top and wood is agathis, feels so soft, cheaper wood. Finish, lacquer finished wrong, a spot of size of a fingerprint. Doesn't affect playing according to the seller. I didn't notice much wrong sounds.

• Body style: strat like, with double cutaway.
  • String-thru body
  • Passive electronics
  • Volume and tone knob
  • Three-way pickup selector, two humbuckers I don't know more of them.
  • Factory's own tuners, if you bend in the blues, strings tend to go off the tune after a while. I think I might change them later.
When I bought this the man sent me a gigbag and strings. // 9

Sound: It suits my style of playing pop, rock, blues and folk, occasional metal from 1960-1970's mostly. I also like Christmas carol and classic tunes. I use Fender Mustang I 20 W amp, it has nice overdrive and clean sounds for blues, heavy and 1960's music. Bright sound, but some amp modeling is muddy in the amp. Or I don't know how to change it. Sound is good, nice high sounds, ok bass and middle tones. I think this guitar can be used in many different styles. I wouldn't use this for country or 1950's rock, cause I think the pickups are too modern for that. Or I would need single coil pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't say about the action, because previous owner might have changed it. Finish flaws in lacquering and cheap wood, also tuners don't hold the right pitch after many blues bends. Pickups move back and forth, so I think they are not well put. The bridge is ok. Tuning pegs are too loose. I think my seller put Dean Merkley strings .009 or .010-set to this guitar before sell it to me and the strings sound good. The frets are ok and the neck is good for playing, light weight guitar, can play fast solo. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with this and I am thinking about buying another Cort, a Les Paul copy from Thomann. This guitar would be my backup guitar and the Les Paul copy main guitar due to its better wood mahogany. Strap buttons are solid, but I had problem putting my Fender strap on the place, maybe the strap buttons are too large or the holes in the strap too small, I used knife and scissors to make them larger. My guitar is missing pickguard so I might damage the surface with my pick if not too careful. // 10

Overall Impression: For the price this guitar is a good find. I have played since 15 years old, so almost 15 years for now. I have owned many guitars:

• Hohner nylon string
  • two Ibanez steel string guitars
  • Jackson Performer heavy metal guitar
  • Laney and Roland amps
  • two Esp-Ltd Les Paul copies
  • and now this Cort.
Also I have two cheap keyboards, recorder and harmonica. I used to own ukulele and melodica too.

If this was stolen I would be sad and think about how to buy a new guitar, maybe Cort or Ibanez. This ok match for the music I play. I love how it's not so heavy and easy neck to play. I dislike tuners, seem to be too "soft," not last long playing. // 10

Zenox Z22 Reviewed by: faerbz, on january 22, 2005

Purchased from: hands music, surrey

Features: Made in Indonesia, 22 frets, string thru body, 3 way pickup, two humbuckers. Medium frets. Double cut away. Finish is siver speckle, with mirror pick guard. Passive electronics. Got free gig bag and they knocked some money off an RP50! // 8

Sound: I play nu-metal, grunge, punk, metal, acoustic rock. This guitar is a great verstile machine. I is similar to a Telecaster in a way, versatile due to its simplicity. I'm using a Spider II 30 and a Boss CS3 Compressor pedal. The soloing that can be done on this is unbeleivable. Great fast neck. Perfect balance which is key for me anyway and nice rich tone. Great versatile guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me with a very high action which resulted in some where to the bridge, when this was rectified and the action lowered, it played like a dream. I have a policy of never paying more than 400 for a guitar as I find it excessive and this guitar makes that policy very easy to live by. I love this frickin guitar, have gigged with and loved it, no backup, no problem. Slight chip on paint under screws of oick guard, onlu noticable if removed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing, like a dream, love it. Strap locks needed for sure. Finish is still as it was when I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all that I've listed above and anything else that takes my fancy. Great match for all of it. I have been playing for two years, and am 100% satisfied. I do wish I would have asked for the action lowered sooner but nothing else. I compared this to a Samick Ultramatick and a Mexican Tele. Hands down winner for me. This guitar screams play me and I probably would have given up on guitar if not for this purchase, no jokin. Go and try one, and give any Cort you can a go, they will surprise you. // 10

Zenox Z22 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2005

Purchased from: The Guitar World

Features: This is a 2004 made in Indonesia. It has 22 large frets on a rosewood fingerboard. It is a solid body guitar. It has a agathis bady and a maple neck. My guitar is a black satin finish. It is a double cut body. The guitar has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and strung thru the body. It has 1 volume and 1 tone knobs and a 3-way pickup selection. The pickups are corts own powersound pickups. The body also has a tapered armrest cut in for comfort factors. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style great I play classic rock and Metallica. I use a Laney 15 watt amp. The guitar is noisy but the noisiness is good. This guitar has a lot of variety in sound ne thing from sounding exactly like a electric accoustic to hard metal early Metallica. Although the amp sucks the guitar makes it sound great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup perfect at the factory. I have had no problems at all. I'm not sure how well they were setup at the factory but when I got it from the store they were setup perfect. The guitar came with no flaws what so ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For sure this guitar will stand up to live playing. I've played live and didn't even bring a backup because there was no need I think it plays better live. Except for the jack coming lose (which happens to the best of guitars) the hardware will last a long time. I always play standing up so there is no change when live and the strap has not come off yet unless I took it off so yes they are solid. There is a pickgaurd that matches the paint exactly to protect the paint but ya the paint seems thick enough. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and it's a perfect match and the style suits me too. I have been playing for 7 months now and I also own a Cort accoustic and a Laney amp. I fell I asked all the right questions about the guitar so it was easy for me to pick the right guitar for me. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again because I love it too much. I love the whole guitar and hate nothing. My favorite feature is the satin black paint it looks so good. I compared this to a squire Strat and this was better in all asspects. I only wish it had 24 fretts instead of 22. I would recomend this guitar to anyone at any skill level. My friend prefers this over his Gibson SG. Obviosly there is nicer guitars like the Les Paul supreme but you can't beat this guitar for the price. // 8

Comments