Zenox Z42 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 06/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: Zenox Z42
It was made in Indonesia and has 22 medium size frets on a medium thin rosewood neck. It comes in a laminated half see-thru top and comes in red or black. Very original, very cool. It is equiped with a string through body design with top of the line locking tuners.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 18,099
reviews (4) pictures (3) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Zenox Z42 Reviewed by: sfkask8, on february 11, 2006

Purchased from: Custom Music

Features: Made in 2004 it is the earlier version of the Z-44. It was made in Indonesia and has 22 medium size frets on a medium thin rosewood neck. It comes in a laminated half see-tru top and comes in red or black (I got black). I'm not sure what wood the body is but I'm sure the neck is maple. The transparent finish really gives it a great look because from a head on veiw you only see the colour but from an angle you can see the wood grain. It has wild curves all over and a single cutaway like a les paul but it doesnt really fall into the les paul catagory, it's more like a shape of its own. Very original, very cool. It is equiped with a string through body design with Top of the line locking tuners. It gives you 2 volume controls, one tone and a 3-way pickup selector. I was suprised with the 2 volume controls and it took me alittle while to figure out how to use them, But then I found that one volume for one humbucker adn te second is for the remaining humbucker so u can do some wicked set ups with that. It comes with stock Cort open humbuckers Which are actually very good quality, They give splendid distortion whilst still giving that clean, great sound when its not distorted. It comes in a box with no case and a small lead with some alen keys but still great. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for my style I asked for a value for money guitar that has exelent sounding dist and a nice and bright when its not distorted and they gave me this! I use a small 10 watt amp with a multi-effects prossesor and this guitar really makes my amp sound like its worth a million. I have tried all my effects (around 30) and have not found it noisy at all and it gives a really rich sound when set to it and bright if you like it like that, if you want it deep and dark it will be deep and dark. I play a lot of heavy metal and this guitar is the bees knees. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how the guitar was set at the factory because the store sets it to how they think will best suit it. The action was great when I first bought it and I didn't have to change anything about that. The pickups where also adjusted beautifully so the only thing I needed to do was tune it down! The fret wire was spot on and did not go over the end of the neck at all, everything is perfect about this guitar, the only flaw about it is the jack gets loose but that happens to the best of all guitars. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would trust my life with this guitar standing up to any live gig, the hardware is hard and will not wear, the strap buttons are so solid that I think that they could be run over with a bus load of school children and will still be intact. The only thing il be worried about in a live gig would be the strings so il keep a pair of strings in the back. Even tho I trust this guitar so deeply id still have a backup because I'm always abit paranoid when it comes to that. This finish is so great I dont expect it to wear off ever! It's reliable, it's durable, it's my kind of guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and this guitar is a great match for it. I've been playing for a good 2 years now and iv only ever owned another cheap Aria STG-003 and this guitar beats that to honkong and back with ease. I own a Zoom GFX1 and about 6 leads and a 10 watt amp. If there was somthing I could have asked before buying this product it would be does it come in flat black. But it obviously doesnt so I don't care. If this was stolen I'd hire my own private detectives to go out and get it cuz if they didn't they would have to pay for a new one exactly the same. I just love the sustain on this beast you can hit any string on any fret and you could still hear it atleast minute later. What do I hate? I hate the fact that I cant protect it enough! I have been looking at this guitar for a long time and I only compaired with with an OLP John Petrucci valued at 600 AUD and this was only 475 AUD and in my mind was better! The only thing I wish it had was Semour Duncan pickups. For any potential buyers I'd say dont wait for someone else to get it just get it then and there! // 10

Zenox Z42 Reviewed by: raudprat, on june 11, 2012

Purchased from: online

Features: It's made in Indonesia. Its a revised model of the previous model. The changes are the pick-ups which are paired active dynamite pickup and arm cut away is removed and the split coil function is removed. Its in wine red finish same as before the body wood the neck wood is unaltered everything else is pretty much the same.. Came with a gig bag, cable picks, cleaning cloth. // 6

Sound: I own a Greg Bennett av-6 which is terrific guitar and my primary guitar(tone wise). I bought this guitar as a secondary guitar for jamming purposes and main reason I bought this particular guitar is because of the high rating and positive review, and to honest its a little overrated. The tone I get from those active pups are bit shallow and that might be because of the thin body and this guitar is very light. I am more incline to blues and classic rock and getting a decent tone needs a little work on the amp and the processor. And then again I am used to playing a far better guitar. Its a cheap guitar and for the price its sounds ok. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was fine. I just had to adjusted the bridge a little bit.This guitar looks fine from a distance but when you pick it up you definitely see little flaws in the finishing and the pick-up switch and knobs feels pretty cheap and loose. I don't like the finish of the fret board its a little rough the whole neck seems a little uncomfortable for me. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It's fairly a new guitar I am not very confident on its durability. But only time will tell. // 6

Overall Impression: I bought the older model with a coil split but I was sent the revised model. The active pups may suit hard rock or metal. If I happen to loose it I would definitely save little bit more and go for bit more expensive a bit more heavier guitar probably one with a set neck. Then again its a very cheap guitar and may this is best that you can get in the price range but I would recommend to try out a few other guitars before buying. // 6

Zenox Z42 Reviewed by: TomG10-7, on september 23, 2009

Price paid: £ 156.43

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: Made in 2004, 22 large frets, Mahogany LP-Style Body with with a Maple Bolt-On Neck. Chrome Hardware. Two EG4LP Humbucker Pickups with 2 Volume and one push-pull tone knob and 3 way toggle Switch. Small lead included, but nothing else. It is a high quality guitar, amd not just a high quality guitar for its price, it's comparable with many more expensive guitars. // 8

Sound: I play mostly Rock, Alternative and Grunge throgh a Line6 Spider 3 amp and it is perfect for these styles. I haven't yet tried it with distortion yet but sounds good with a variety of sounds. You can get a good variety of sounds and it sounds bright, I wouldn't try to play anything too heavy on this guitar though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not much to say really, The factory setup and action is perfect on this guitar and it is very good quality with a flawless finish. Everything is fitted perfectly. I have had it about a month and it still looks and feels Brand New. I have been unable to find any flaws with it so far. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tried to gig with this guitar but I think that it could definately withstand Live playing. The Strap buttons are very solid and will not come off. I would take a backup to live playing as I always do. It has taken a few knocks on walls, chairs and tables but no marks to show it, a very solid durable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: It is very good for rock music and there is alot of variety in the sounds that you can get out of the guitar, as you can switch between the pickups. It is very comfortable to play due to the body shape. If it was stolen then I might buy this guitar again, however I would probably buy a guitar better suited to heavier music or an ESP Viper 50. Overall a ver good and solid guitar. I would definately recommend it. // 9

Zenox Z42 Reviewed by: BaBaBoeGaH, on december 04, 2009

Price paid: € 210

Purchased from: MyGuitar

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia in 2007. It has a 22-fret maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, bolt-on construction and a mahogany body. It has 2 PSLPB humbuckers, a 3-way switch, two volume knops and a tone knob to swap between single and humbucking pickups. Its body is Les Paul-like and it has the Cort headstock which I think suits the body perfectly. Mine was painted in a shiny cherry-wine red. It has basic dots inlay, a tune-o-matic LP2 bridge with a string-through body. Mine came with .010-.046 strings. // 9

Sound: I always plug this guitar into my Vox Valvetronix AD15VT because that amp really suits this guitar well. I played Hard Rock, Punk Rock and some Heavy Metal with this guitar and the sounds was great. It isn't really made for soloing due to both the 22-fretboard and basic pickups. It will suit you well but if you're into some heavy soloing I wouldn't pick this one. It is able to get both bright sounds to a crunchy punk rock sound. However if I play harmonics with it, it just doesn't sound okay and that's a pity because it is an awesome guitar to start with. Everything on the sound itself makes it ideal for some band-play in your garage, a pub or at school. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of this guitar is great, even compared to Strats and LPs this one tops them out. It has a thin neck which makes it an easy-to-shred guitar. The intonation of the guitar is nice but the when I looked at the pickups I saw some loose wiring which almost came out, which was quite sad because overall the guitar came flawless. Maybe the frets could have been filed a little better because some of them felt quite rough. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I must admit I dropped this guitar several times but it hasn't left huge marks. The headstock is solid, the body is strong. The paint is still totally there and it hasn't shown a sign of wearing off yet. Of course it's smart to clean this guitar once in a while because it easily looks dirty. The strap buttons aren't proper enough; my strap had fallen off plenty of times. Only if I played the guitar above my belt it wasn't going to fall. It's easy to fix by buying straplocks but it still is a downside. It's ok to take it with you to a gig but make sure to check the straps after each song. I would recommend a second guitar but for a beginning player it's trustable. // 8

Overall Impression: If you want to play some heavy music and would like to have a kick-ass looking guitar for a low price, this is the guitar you're looking for. Get yourself a good amp and if you want to go on the long run with this guitar, buy yourself some better pickups and you're ready to go big time! It's worth going after the idiot who stole your guitar and beat him to death, not seriously but almost to death. // 10

Comments