Zenox Z44 review by Cort

Cort: Zenox Z44

I play a little bit of all kinds of music, and I like a guitar that can keep up. I was in the market for a new guitar, and had almost settled on an Agile. That was when I picked up this guitar. The pickups and sustain alone are what sold me on this guitar (that and the incredible coil tap will touch on that later). The string-thru body give this guitar tone that goes on forever amplified though a solid-mahogany body that can be described only as beefcake. I use this guitar through a Crate GLX212 sometimes paired with a Behringer Bugera 4X12 cab. Quiet pickups no matter what setting I'm using on my amp, and more control over feedback than I thought possible. Good crunch on the neck pickup and the bridge sounds great but then you click on the coil tap and suddenly you have a single-coil on your solid mahogany 12 pound hunk of humbucking godliness completely ruining the tone. Or does it? Quite honestly, this is where the guitar stands out for me. Matching up the sol/mahog body with the str/th bridge sets up a great humbucking tone that will slay until the neighbours phone the cops, but when you engage that coil tap, you now have incredibly tight, punchy distortion, and wonderfully distinct, pure clean tone. I love it.

Wow, is this a great guitar or what. I love this guitar, it plays well, feels great, sounds great, and works with everything from blistering lead lines to punch ska riffs and chording. If this was stolen, I would be sure to break the legs thoroughly of the person. This guitar is replacing a 60 year-old Jap LP as my main stage guitar, and it's my main stage axe now. I've played more guitars than I can remember now, and this one stands out. My favourite feature is definitely the coil tap, and I use the single coil more often than not for a great, tight sound.

I won't play a guitar without a professional set-up, so I don't know how this guitar was from the factory. I do know this, the commonly found sharp edges on the frets that you often find on 'cheaper' guitars were not present here. P'ups were adjusted a little by me but that's preference, I like to raise my neck p'up for a little more low-end boost. No visible flaws that I could see, stays in tune for a long time (and I beat on guitars lots of broken strings).

The Zenox with its wild curves and new look not only catch the eye but also increase player comfort with our new tapered armrest. New Lic. TonePros locking bridge system delivers incredible sustain and playability. - Scale 24 3/4" - Joint set-in - Neck mahogany - Body mahogany - Nut graphite (black) - Fretboard rosewood - Pickup MMLP (P) H-H) - Headmachine Diecasting (chrome) - Bridge (chrome) - Endpin string through body - Knob Vintage type (black) - Fret Large style (2.4mm x 1mm) - No. fret 22 - Fretboard width 1F: 22F=43mm: 56mm - Fretboard radius 9 1/2" - Neck depth 1F: 12F=21mm: 23mm - Position mark White dot - Electronics 2vol-1tone (push/pull) 3 way t/g.