Zenox Z44 Review

8.3
 12,137
reviews (4) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Zenox Z44 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2005

Features: The Zenox with its wild curves and new look not only catch the eye but also increase player comfort with our new tapered armrest. New Lic. TonePros locking bridge system delivers incredible sustain and playability. - Scale 24 3/4" - Joint set-in - Neck mahogany - Body mahogany - Nut graphite (black) - Fretboard rosewood - Pickup MMLP (P) H-H) - Headmachine Diecasting (chrome) - Bridge (chrome) - Endpin string through body - Knob Vintage type (black) - Fret Large style (2.4mm x 1mm) - No. fret 22 - Fretboard width 1F: 22F=43mm: 56mm - Fretboard radius 9 1/2" - Neck depth 1F: 12F=21mm: 23mm - Position mark White dot - Electronics 2vol-1tone (push/pull) 3 way t/g. // 10

Sound: I play a little bit of all kinds of music, and I like a guitar that can keep up. I was in the market for a new guitar, and had almost settled on an Agile. That was when I picked up this guitar. The pickups and sustain alone are what sold me on this guitar (that and the incredible coil tap will touch on that later). The string-thru body give this guitar tone that goes on forever amplified though a solid-mahogany body that can be described only as beefcake. I use this guitar through a Crate GLX212 sometimes paired with a Behringer Bugera 4X12 cab. Quiet pickups no matter what setting I'm using on my amp, and more control over feedback than I thought possible. Good crunch on the neck pickup and the bridge sounds great but then you click on the coil tap and suddenly you have a single-coil on your solid mahogany 12 pound hunk of humbucking godliness completely ruining the tone. Or does it? Quite honestly, this is where the guitar stands out for me. Matching up the sol/mahog body with the str/th bridge sets up a great humbucking tone that will slay until the neighbours phone the cops, but when you engage that coil tap, you now have incredibly tight, punchy distortion, and wonderfully distinct, pure clean tone. I love it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I won't play a guitar without a professional set-up, so I don't know how this guitar was from the factory. I do know this, the commonly found sharp edges on the frets that you often find on 'cheaper' guitars were not present here. P'ups were adjusted a little by me but that's preference, I like to raise my neck p'up for a little more low-end boost. No visible flaws that I could see, stays in tune for a long time (and I beat on guitars lots of broken strings). // 10

Overall Impression: Wow, is this a great guitar or what. I love this guitar, it plays well, feels great, sounds great, and works with everything from blistering lead lines to punch ska riffs and chording. If this was stolen, I would be sure to break the legs thoroughly of the person. This guitar is replacing a 60 year-old Jap LP as my main stage guitar, and it's my main stage axe now. I've played more guitars than I can remember now, and this one stands out. My favourite feature is definitely the coil tap, and I use the single coil more often than not for a great, tight sound. // 10

Zenox Z44 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Made in 2005, the outstanding features of this guitar, to me, include both the neck & body being made from solid mahogany; the neck being fitted into the body, rather than being bolted too (apparently better for sound quality); and the coil tap. The strings don't finish in a bridge tail but are 'string through body' which, I understand, helps to increase resonance. The finish is very nice, being metallic platinum, the only colour available in Australia. I don't know exactly what you'd call the body style, it's not your traditional Strat type. I would lean toward a more Les Paul style. It only has a lower cut-away. The Tone Pros bridge is awesome. Very fast to adjust and very firm. Controls include two volumes, a tone, and by pulling out the tone pot, you get the coil tap that splits the two humbuckers into single coils. Though it's not standard with the Cort, the business I purchased from, (www.musichotline.com) also supplied a stand. And, of course, allen keys were supplied too. // 10

Sound: With two humbuckers, a three-way toggle Switch, and coil tap, I get three distinct pickup configurations with sounds ranging from ear-piercingly sharp to a seriously mellow note with almost a hollow sound to it. My main style music is along the lines of Cat Stevens, Neil Young, and improvised blues. The Z-44 is just fine for all this. I'm running it through a 20w Mega amp. It's a small amp, but the guitar makes it sound great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar arrived, the action hadn't been set, which surprised me. When I say not set, the strings were virtually laying on the frets! But then, I'd be setting it up the way I wanted to anyway. So I spent 20 - 30 minutes setting up the bridge and intonation, and we're away. Despite it not being set up upon arrival, I'm not bothered by it since I'd be working on setting it up the way I like it anyway. The finish is great. On the front, there is two tiny flaws in the metallic finish. Looking at them, you'd think that you'd feel an unevenness, but the clearcoat over the top is perfectly smooth. When I first saw them, I wasn't too impressed. But after a day or so, I changed my mind & view them as making the guitar an individual. The humbucker pickups are quiet. When the coil tap is pulled, effectively giving you a single coil, then there's a bit of a hum. But that is what you'd expect with a single coil. The only minor hiccup I've had was the coil tap knob (which is also the tone knob) suddenly came off it's post when I pulled on it. But a dab of hot glue is holding it place fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I see no problem with using the Z-44 on a live gig. The guitar is very solid & well made. The finish appears to be excellent. I haven't had it for long, but with most things, guitar or not, the finish gets minute scratches within days from brushing against buttons on your clothes or whatever, but it looks and feels like a very durable finish. // 10

Overall Impression: The Z-44 is a very flexible guitar. While I like to play blues and ballads, it certainly has the strength to match it in any rock band, and I could easily see it fitting in with jazz and the like. I've been fiddling with guitars for nearly 20 years, but very seriously for 12 months. I get together with a rhythm guitarist and a blues harp player every month or so & I aim primarily to play improvised lead, and backup. I would be happy to buy this guitar again and even pay the shop price of $655.00. I love the body style - small, compact, and not like the multitude of Strat copies. It's something different. The coil tap for variety and that honey-mellow tone in one of the positions! I hate nothing! I compared this guitar (normally $655.00) to a Cort M600 ($999.00). I played the M600 before I came across the Z-44. I'd love to have another play of the M600. While a different looking guitar to the Z-44, the M600 seemed to aim for similar features and sound, same brand of pickups, coil tap, etc, etc). There must be some differences, but the sound and quality seems to be very similar. So I'm not sure why you would pay so much more. // 10

Zenox Z44 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2007

Purchased from: Ostanek's Music

Features: I bought the 2007 model with EMG HZ pickups that were worth the difference in price from previous years' models (about $30 more). I had an opportunity to play both in the store, and there was a difference. The rest of the specs are the same as previous reviewers have posted. I was looking for an electric guitar with coil tapped pickups with a Les Paul styled body, and this fit nicely in my price range. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of different musical styles, and have played this guitar through a Vox AC30 and a Vox DA15. I also have used a M-Audio Black Box for effects and amp modeling and a Zoom A2.1U for acoustic modeling. Plugged straight into the amp, the humbucking tones are what I'd expect from EMG pickups, good for loud rock, or if you turn down the gain and volume a bit you can get some decent jazzy tones as well. The coil tapped sounds aren't exactly like a Strat or Tele, but still allow me to get a decent "country" picking kind of sound and clean softer sounds for less energetic music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure if the store I bought it from did any adjustments, but intonation was perfect and I've had no issues with it so far. My only minor complaint is that the threaded washer holding in the patch cord plug occasionally gets loose and requires some tightening. I love the painted matte finish on the guitar, when my hands get sweaty from playing they don't stick to the neck like on some glossy finishes on other guitars. I wasn't expecting the level of quality that I got from this Korean made guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar for 5 months now with no problems. I've taken good care of it and the finish seems to be scratch resistant to heavier playing (no pick scratches). No belt rash either on the back of the body, but I generally avoid using a belt when I play. I'm not worried about the strap buttons, and it feels quite solid. I'd definitely gig without a backup with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 13 years, and I've been mostly an acoustic player. I wanted to play more electric guitar, but didn't want to spend a ton on different styles of guitars or put money into a guitar with reliability problems (Line 6 Variax). My limited budget made me look at coil tapping as a solution, and this was by far the best guitar I could find in my price range. Other guitars I've looked at were the Parker P44 and the Taylor T5 series, both beyond my means at this point. If it were stolen or lost, I'd have to see what my budget could afford, I'd buy it again over a low end Parker or Variax, but if I had $2000 to spend I'd get a Taylor T5. Money tends to make a difference in the electronics and quality of an instrument. // 9

Zenox Z44 Reviewed by: Dan_5893, on january 13, 2010

Price paid: A$ 236

Features: Made in 2007 in Indonesia. Came with Dual EMG-HZ humbuckers as standard. Has a Les Paul styled body, but with two comfort contours on the back of the guitar and one for resting the arm on. Features include a Mahogany string through body and neck, 22 jumbo frets, a graphite nut, two volume and one tone knob, 3-way selector switch, and a coil tap accessed by pulling the tone knob up. Tuners are non-branded locking, and seem to hold fairly well. Strap buttons are a little small, but are also fairly sturdy. Guitar is a comfortable weight, nowhere near a Les, but has a quality feel to it. I bought my guitar as new, but the dramatic price drop is due to some large scratches on the reverse of the guitar. These do not impair the playing quality however, and are not noticeable when the guitar is being played. Didn't come with anything apart from a stand, and I managed to pick up a discount on a new lead due to buying them together. // 7

Sound: The guitar is able to produce a decent range of sounds, in part due to the coil tap, which allows the humbuckers to become single coil pickups. My style is rock/alternative/metal/progressive, and I have played music from bands such as Feeder, Metallica, Muse and Porcupine Tree on this guitar with a large amount of success through a Vox VT15 amp. I imagine it being able to play a wide range of styles, though the EMG humbuckers make it more inclined to heavier music. The coil tap on the guitar is good, though not excellent. The difference is noticeable, but you can't go from pure EMG humbucking sounds to say, a Telecaster twang with this. The tone knob itself seems to have a limited effect between either end of its radius, but that suits my style of music fine. However, turning it from Full to the richer tone reduces the amount of noise (string crackling etc) that is produced by brushing the strings lightly. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitars setup when I bought it was great. Needed tuning, but hey, don't most guitars. Bridge had been set well, and the action was to my liking. The strings looked a little shabby, but I bought new ones anyway. Also, the knobs on the tone/volume controls come loose fairly easily, though I am looking into replacing the actual heads anyway. The tuners were fine, and the guitar was great, apart from the large scratches on the back of the guitar. The shop assistant told me that he thought it had slid along a cement floor at some point, though this is a mystery seeing as it is a factory new guitar. Apart from the scratches however, the finish was great, the titanium metallic finish that is standard on the Aussie model. My one issue is the painted neck. I don't normally get sweaty hands, though it has been known to occur under lights on stage, so the issue of sticking is present. However, as I say, I'm yet to have a problem with this. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely reliable. It has lasted both heaving practicing and some light gigging. The only issue with hardware is the strap buttons. They are a little small, and have torn the leather on one of my older straps. However, with a good set of locks they should be fine, and with a decent strap too. I would use this without a backup for a shorter set (4 or so songs), but would take a backup simply in case the strings were to snap for a longer gig. The hardware on the guitar is great, and the guitar itself feels very solid. The finish is fairly good, and will last for a while. Even if the guitar gets scratched, they wouldn't be noticeable due to the colour of the guitar. Aside from the large scratches on the back of mine, the finish is great, looks brilliant, and that sums the guitar up itself. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I find this guitar to be a really well made, rounded, instrument. I play rock/alternative/progressive/metal as mentioned earlier, and this guitar seems like a good match for it. I've played for 9 years, and this is my third electric, after a Squier pack and an Epiphone LP, which regretfully I was unable to bring with me when I moved to Australia. This guitar is great for me, and I got it at a great price too. For the price I bought it, I don't think there is possibly another guitar with the quality of this, though this is only an extreme case. If it were stolen or lost, I would be angry as hell. I'd also struggle to find another guitar like this for the price, Though I'd probably save up and buy a higher end Epiphone LP or an ESP. Overall, this is a good guitar. Well built, with a good list of features. What makes it excel is the price I bought it for, though this is an extreme example :D. // 8

Comments