ACRD 208 review by CR Dean

CR Dean: ACRD 208

Purchased from: www.crdean.ca

The quality of the finish was naturally the first thing to impress me but the sound was not far behind. The Wilkinson pickups kick butt! I have a Gibson SG '61 reissue and this new guitar gives me a lot more range than the Gibson does. I have it playing through a Marshall AVT50 and I can play lots of styles with it. The Gibson was too heavy for some twangier stuff but the CRD can keep up with all of it, very versatile.

I catch myself just staring the guitar when I'm watching TV and then end up picking it up cause it's so sweet. It is a great match for the punk, bluesy, and classic rock styles that I like to play. It would work well with some heavier stuff too. A hard shell case was included (very nice). I have no regrets with my purchase like I did my SG. I think the SG was so expensive I was almost scared to play it and maybe break it plus I couldn't get the sound right with my amp. With my CR Dean I just let it rip and have no worries about anything. Amazing value at a lower than average price!

This guitar could easily be used to put on a show, no doubt. The pickups are built to last as long as the guitar. Strap feels secure when wearing it. The finish is a heavy gloss and the sunburst is great. Besides the pickups that is my second favorite aspect of the guitar. If you only look at the body not the neck you would swear it's a real Les Paul. I haven't had it long enough to see how time will affect it but I am confident she will age gracefully.

I only had to make very small adjustments to this guitar. The action was great and feels smooth all along the neck. The tuners are not the greatest but once you have it tuned it is fine for hours. The only thing I would ever consider changing on this guitars would be the tuners and maybe a custom paint job on the head-stock would look cool but that's just me.

This line of guitars is just being introduced in 2008. Manufactured in Korea I think but not 100% sure. Joint: set in, body: carved mahogany, top: solid maple, neck: maple, finger board: graphite, tuning machines: die cast, fret: 22, hardware: chrome, pickups: dual Wilkinson humbuckers, control: 2v, 2t, 3-way toggle switch, bridge: tune-o-matic, body style: Les Paul, finish: sunburst (yellow-orange-red).

ten_years_after
    as far as looks go i wouldnt get it in black, like the shape of the headstock though, id have to hear it to believe it
    Ace Lytem
    Ace Lytem from Rare Stone here. I have a CR Dean Guitar,the exact same model, that was given to me as a present a few months ago.I just formed a new band called Rare Stone and we just played our first gig last night.Near the end of the second song, I had technical difficulties with my main guitar and good thing I had the foresight to bring a few guitars. I grabbed my Black CR Dean and was able to finish the show without losing a beat.Everyone was happy.There are not too many guitars that I have played that has a throat grabbing crunch for my rock songs,with a crisp and clean clean tone for the softer songs. In my opinion CR Dean is THE BEST GUITAR that I own and play. It was the one that made me come out of retirement,we'll see in Vancouver,BC at the shows! Rock Steady Ace Lytem
    Ace Lytem