Cruiser CJ400 review by Crafter

Crafter: Cruiser CJ400

Purchased from: ebay.com

I am a big fan of rock but I often drift into metal music styles and this guitar suits it brilliantly because of its many sound settings. It also sounds nice on its own without the amp. I can get really good sounding power chords off this guitar as it has a gritty sound to it but also, at a flick of a switch, I can make some sweet sounding solos (hammer-ons and pull-off etc.)

Overall this this a great beginners guitar, I love it and I've had it just over a year yet I still haven't got bored of it. The only thing I would recommend is to buy a separate amp, the one I've got that came with it (a Crafter CR-10G 12 watt amp) is a bit weak compared to my friends 10 watt amp despite the higher power. I would be gutted if it got stolen or lost as I have no doubt it has a good re-sale value as I have an Ibanez SA260FM on the way. I love pretty much everything about this guitar although, I wish it had a white pickguard.

I have no doubt this guitar will withstand live playing as it is a very hardy piece of kit, the hardware hasn't changed in the slightest since I got it, the strap buttons hold the strap very well as it hasn't fallen off me ever. I feel I could depend on it in a gig, I play with it every week in my band and it hasn't failed me yet. The finish it great, I have knocked the body into things when I've got a little carried away with playing and there are no chips in the bodywork and no scuffs in the paintwork.

This guitar is very well put together, I cannot feel the glue line where the maple and rosewood join to make the neck, it is screwed to the body and very strong (I have knocked it around on many occasions and even dropped it on its neck but there are next to no marks whatsoever). The only flaw that comes to mind is that the low E string, when played a little to hard, hits the neck or one of the fret markers and makes an annoying rattle noise. Other than that I haven't found anything else wrong with it in the year I have had it.

Produced in Japan, this guitar has 22 medium frets set on a maple neck with a rosewood backing which suits it well in my opinion as they look great together. Mine came in metallic blue which I like the look of but I think a pickguard would suit it brilliantly, it is the classic Strat shape so it is really comfortable whether sitting down or standing, it has a volume knob and a tone knob aswell as a 5-way selector so it has a good range of sounds to suit your style. Mine came with a gig bag, lead, amp and strap.