FX-550EQ/BK review by Crafter

Crafter: FX-550EQ/BK

Purchased from: Eagle Music Centre

I mainly play many variants of rock music, this suited specifically for playing music by the 'GooGooDolls', as electic acosutics are mainly used throughout. This craftr seemed like the idea choice, as it was the only electric acoustic, that had great features, stylish look and was at an asouning price for the quality of the guitar. I am currently using a Dean Markley 60-watt Acoustic Amp, this gives a good rich and full sound, and truly shoshow good the guitar performs when amplified. Using the shadow electric controls, treble, middle, bass, and scoop, a wide variety of interesting and exciting sounds can be achevied, for dynamic music playing, or just experimenting. The guitar handles well when turned up fully, and shows no sign, of distortion or interference, overall the sound quality is far better than you should be geting for the price.

My style as mentioned before is mainly rock/pop, Goo Goo Dolls, Oasis, Stereophonics, Red hot chilli peppers, Beatles, etc. I've been playing for 13yrs now, started when I was 5, used to hate having guitar lessons, but my dad made me, glad he did now, not having guitars in my life, would be going to hell early. I would definetly consider buying this guitar again, not for just sound and quality, but as much as for looks, this guitar is beautiful. I chose this guitar as I was looking for a budget electro/acoustic guitar, fortunately I found one in my price range that shld be far more expesive than, being sold for. Any one looking at this guitar wouldn't think you paid less than 400 for it, and thats a fact. I think that this guitar is a great achievemet by Crafter, who suprising arnt well known, but have a popular audience in the uk, if Crafter continue to make quality guitars, at prices like these, there on there way to becoming leading guitar designers/builders.

I have used this guitar in many live performances and have had no problems whats so ever, the build quality is of good enough quality to outlast me, and I'm only 17. The finish is good, the strap buttons are fitted tightly and efficently, the guitar could withstand, harsh playing. This guitar is very dependable but, is quite a hidrence to clean, due to it being black, if you too wish or consider getting this guitar in that colour, they I would like to make it clear that this guitar should have been a database for fingerprints, I quite alot of time cleaning and refining this guitar.

The factory set-up was adaquette, but as allways needs personal refinement, the action was a little too high for me, and the strings were far too heavy, 14 guage I think, (what were they thinking), after taking it to my local guitar shop, ('play it again sam'), they ajusted the guitar to my requests, and first impression after, heart pounding, it seemed like a completely different guitar, I was ready to rock. I couldn't wait for every one to see my acoustic, and better still to perform ith it. Fret allignment was excellent, not one out of place,the wood was smooth and, has nice tone and colur to it, machine heads are very reliable for tuning puposes, and needs slightly ajusting if a all, when playing the guitar after being left for sum hours.

2002 CrafterModel: FX-550EQ/BK range guitars, made in USA & Korea. Bowl Back, Electro Acoustic 22 frets, precisely positioned Top : Spruce; Machine heads : Chrome diecast Position marks : Dot Controls : Timber PLUS PreAmp & Shadow pick-up Fibre glass back The Body Assembly The back and sides are built from black High-Tec moulded 'fiberglass' Attractive multi black/white ABS binding protects the front joint with the soundboard (top). The back outer profile is rounded for comfort. The soundboard (top) is built from spruce and finished in solid black. The round sound-hole has a black ABS raised rosette with white circles to match the body binding. The fixed 'V' style rosewood bridge with a 'Corian' compensated saddle is designed for ease of string changing (no pins). The body is cut-away, enabling easier access to the higher frets EQ System: 'Timber PLUS' PreAmp & Shadow pick-up The Neck Assembly The mahogany neck has an internally fitted adjustable truss rod. The rosewood fingerboard is fitted with twenty-one nickel silver frets precisely positioned, honed and polished. Dot markers are inlaid at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th & 17th frets small black side position marker dots are inlaid in the white ABS neck binding at the same positions. The fingerboard is fully bound with white ABS. The precisely cut nut is made from cream ABS. The headstock is the familiar 'Crafter' design that is found on all 'Crafter' guitars, it is faced with rosewood and inlaid with the 'Crafter' insignia plus scroll inlay. The truss rod is adjusted from inside the sound hole. A set of single chrome die cast machine heads are fitted for positive, trouble free tuning. Finish: Natural High Gloss Solid Black Finish.