FX-550EQ/BK review by Crafter

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Crafter: FX-550EQ/BK

Purchased from: peterborough

My style is sort of like Dan Hawkins (some rhythm, some solo) and I found the bridge pickup the best for that because it can make a crunchy powerchord sound or a waily solo. I also do a bit of punk and it is good for that because it has the single coil or a neck humbucker. I used a roland microcube amp which has its own effects. the noise can vary a fair amount but it's usually a deep sound.

I have been playing for about 8 months and I think I am improving too much for this guitar. It is perfect for beginner but for a more experienced player it can be annoying because the flaws are kinda obvious.

At first sight this guitar seems rock solid but eventually things work themselves loose. The peice of metal around the input actually came apart after 8 months of playingand I was unable to fix it (but I'm not the world's greatest fix person) and I decided I was gonna get a new guitar. The strap buttons aren't great. I will often find it slipping in the middle of a song and hoping it would stay on. If I had a choice I would take a backup to a gig becauseit can be quite tempramental.

The humbucker pickups were both quite far into the guitar and I found that the whammy bar was too hard to move freely so I had to take one of the springs out.

I'm not sure what year it was made but it has 22 frets and the neck seems to be the right size so that chord changes are easy but the strings are not too far apart; the fretboard I think is rosewood. quite big frets but this is not a problem. Solid top. Inside though the wood used is not of a very high quality. The neck wood however is smooth and stays dry even after hours of play. Its finish is a smooth silver with slight sparkle and the pickups (2 humbuckers and one single coil)are black. Passive electronics system. It has a volume control, a tone control and a 5 way pickup selector. The tuners are non-locking and it has a whammy bar. It does look totally cool.

Ghopki02
    drol_52
    Ghopki02 wrote: In regards to the last review. I think you're reviewing the wrong guitar. This guitar is an electro acoustic and doesn't have a whammy bar or humbucker pickups.
    yeah when he mentioned a whammy bar i got a bit confused