SA-QMMS review by Crafter

Crafter: SA-QMMS

I'm not sure what music style it was made for nor sounds like, but I have played many on it and most sounds nice. Obviously it is not intended to be used for metal but you can get a way with a level of distortion, I play with an Indie band and always struggled to get a distortion on it without it squealing, but I'm not sure how but I eventually got a setting to get it to work with. Also, you can get a nice crunchy overdrive by raising all the eq on the guitar to sorta send to much output, but it sounds very nice. I would say you can a hell of alot of sounds on this but because it is very difficult to I'm going to rate it an 8, but if you're looking to use it with much overdrive I would consider it a 7.

This is an almost Perfect guitar with very few limitations that are difficult but not impossible to get around. I play mostly Indie with it can instantly change from an Oasis style acoustic-y warmth and straight to an Arctic Monkeys style treble crunch. I don't own many great guitars but I have played some of the best Gibsons and Fenders and would say that this guitar could compete. If there were one thing I could have asked before getting it, it would be how to get away from noises I get using distortion. If I lost this I probably wouldn't buy it again because I bought it brand new at an incredible price because the store was closing down, but if I had to buy it at 500, I would rather get a Fender, but that is probably just because of the style I play. I looked around and played most guitars when looking for a semi-acoustic but I chose this one because of the huge quality for the small price. No more to say apart from just get it, it feels just like a 1000 guitar.

I use this guitar at nearly every gig and have never had a problem with it until I use it with distortion. I know it's not built for that but that is the only problem I've ever had with it and there are ways around that. The hardware seems great, the straplocks won't even turn and I never even take a back up, I have complete Faith in this guitar! The finish has not worn off but it is easily damaged. I've dropped it a few times and the paint has just come straight off and can easily get scratched but apart from that I can see no problems with it.

The action, fit & finish on this guitar, I could only describe as perfect! It is flawless to look at and plays the same too. It came with the nicest strings I have played in my life (and have still got on now after a year!) but I don't if the shop owner put them on. As you get higher on the fret board it still remains nice and easy to play, it will obviously be slightly harder to play fast stuff on these than on gauge 9's or something but nevertheless I can still tap and play led zeppelin and jimi hendrix on it so it doesn't limit you much. One word: Perfection.

This is a very nice looking guitar with many great features... It has 21 frets with great action and an indian rosewood fret board. The body is hollow but made with solid wood and the neck is made of mahogany. It has a gloss finish, a slim arch top body design and an indian rose wood bridge just like the fretboard. It has an LR-F Lipstick/Acoustic hybrid preamp, which is very easy to control, on it you have a volume knob (which I might add is not accessable while playing, but still good anyway), high, mid and low equalisers, a mute and phase button (both very handy) and a slide to blend between pickups. It has a Kent Armstrong Lipstick pickup to give it an electric guitar sound which I would describe as somewhere imbetween a single coil and humbucker style sound, and a L.R. Baggs Element pick up, which gives it a very unique and tinny acoustic sound. I would say it has great features but what lets it down for me is the fact you can't change the controls while playing cos they're too hard to get too. For that I'll rate it a 9.

heavy_input
    Shanezep, this guitar is one of the best ive ever played and i have to agree with Ryan Da 4 Eyez here, it can compete. One Question, you ever played it? It is such a high quality guitar and you thinking its cheap is being abnoxious really.
    Aaron_1986
    shanezep wrote: this is just a copy of a taylor t5 and if you think this guitar competes with some of the best fender and gibsons then obviously you havent played and of the best fender or gibsons... a taylor t5 is a very high quality guitar which is very nice to play whereas this is just a cheaply made copy of it for a fraction of the price it is no where near the quality of that.
    I hope you played this guitar before making this comment. I can tell you that's not true. Another thing. To effectively use distortion, this guitar has to be completely on the lipstick pickup otherwise it will be incorporating the L.R. Baggs which is too sensitive. I love this guitar and is the best guitar I have ever used in a live situation. I have other guitars which I use in the studio, but would recommend this for live and studio playing any day of the week.
    franklinrw
    I have the version with the tone and volume knows on the soundboard. This is a great guitar with good value for money for the price. It has acoustic and electric versatility with some really nice tones possible. What is really special is that mine is left handed. Thanks to Crafter for kindly thinking of us lefties with this one.
    jenko88
    Quick question to you Crafter SA owners - if you have the slider all the way down on lipstick (so no blending) and you play a little bit harder (lets say like Hit the road Jack) does the clean distort in any way? I just bought it and it distorts if I start strumming a bit harder... my luthier says its a common problem with this as the lipstick has too much output for the pre-amp to handle... but I somehow do not belive him and think this is a faulty pre-amp. So yeah - any comments on this would be greatly appriciated.
    pjohnny2
    Anyone who has this guitar, like me, loves it. The brandinistias who have a fetish for more extravagantly marketed guitars have obviously never played a crafter. Realize that dissing a guitar you know nothing about other than it's lack of an acceptable pedigree (it's made by Koreans for christ's sake!) only makes you look stupid and lets the folks who play know that while you're knowledge regarding which pants a given supermodel or rock star prefers may be spot on, when it comes to knowing shit about what sounds good you're a dipshit. Peace from Austin Texas, where a few guitars are played from time to time
    AndyReynolds
    I have done literally hundreds of gigs, 6 nights a week for three years with the Crafter guitar, I have lots of guitars, some worth 3k plus but this is the one that I am happiest gigging with night after night. Tuning spot on, acoustic sounds, rock sounds, light on the shoulder, battery lasts for what seems like a year. Today I found out in a music shop that it is a copy of the Taylor T5 and I played it. In comparison to the Crafter it is very similar, the wood is lovely and smooth with rounded corners, the pickup selector is better, the neck is a bit wider and stronger, the intonation is THE SAME (very important for me) in other words its in tune on every note on the neck, just the same as the Crafter. Visually the Crafter looks better as I am comparing the honeyburst Crafter with the Plain wook Taylor, but I saw a picture of the Honeyburst Taylor and that looks like the Crafter. Price difference: 1,000 more for the Taylor. I have never seen or played a guitar as nice as the Crafter until today when I played the Taylor. Would I buy the Taylor? YES I am saving up for it now. Is it worth the extra money? No, but I want it!!! I never thought I would find a guitar as good as the Crafter and to have found one that is the same is great.
    GrumpyDad1
    Its not the guitar but the player Give peter frampton, carlos santana or jimi Hendrix a slab of wood, like les paul... and result! The taylor t5 is expensive for some and today its not the price tag that counts but the effect-- the enjoyment. Not the snobbery, of F or G guitars. Today with modern clean electronics it is nicer to have a cheaper scuzzy guitar you can use than one that everyone is afraid to play! Get over it if the man likes, all power to his elbow- even elvis had an orchestra, a&r men and guitar tuners.
    boozebreaker
    Its not a copy of a T5 .It has a blendable pickup mixer .The Taylor doesnt . its a nice instrument and have you seen Fender and Gibson quality lately .
    tuqiri
    Have Fender (poor acoustics) or Gibson (same unless you re gonna spend a couple of Ks) made any acoustics with electric pickups? I know theyve both made electrics with Nano and piezo... But not like this. The Ibanez Montage series springs to mind; but Fender and Gibson dont. Sorry. PS: This is a fine instrument. You should try it.
    sir likeguitars
    i just bought one off of e-bay for 266 and i have to say that i think its a really good guitar. i got it for slide playing but after hearing it i think i may use my norman guitar for slide.
    trackson
    I've had bubinga top version of this guitar for 4 months now and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. I think the original string were okay but I like to play 0.13 flats and with those this guitar produces very rich sound with both lipstick and Baggs. I've played for 26 years and played lots of instruments - expensive and cheap - and I have to say that this guitar feels more like 1400$ guitar that 400$ guitar. With the original strings the guitar was very easy to play and with the thicker flats its obviously a bit harder but still very comfortable. I think crafter has made a really nice instrument for very reasonable price. I really cant say if the rating 9.4 is "too much" but I'm really satisfied with this guitar.
    johnahern
    I have been gigging with one of these as a solo act for five years and must say its the most versatile guitar I have ever owned and I have owned a lot, no need to take an electric and acoustic as I used to do and ok you will get better sounding acoustic and electric but this cover both very well. I almost bought the taylor T5 but when I played this I could not believe how close it was. I thought I would give it a try as I could replace it four times before I reached the Taylor price but after five years gigging every weekend its still perfect all I have had to do was a little fret filing.
    doive
    Why is the review going on about how well it overdrives. Most people rarely if EVER overdrive an acoustic, it's not what they're for... I would believe it gives a good oasis acoustic tone, but "an Arctic Monkeys style treble crunch" seems a bit far fetched? "it is easily damaged. I've dropped it a few times and the paint has just come straight off and can easily get scratched" = 10/10... really? "It came with the nicest strings I have played in my life (and have still got on now after a year!)" - strings really don't last that long and retain their tone. Dead strings are very much a leveller because a good guitar will sound dull and lifeless with old strings, but a bad guitar has no life to lose. If you say it has nice strings after a year still (and is sounding similar) that to my mind spells bad guitar. not played it though, so i can't personally comment.
    DeadlyKombat
    good_blink_plan wrote: Guys, you gotta realise, most reviews are done based on the price range the guitar's in. So if a $200 guitar has an 8 rating, it's an 8 rating based on other guitars in the $200 price range, not based against high end fenders, ibanez's, gibson's, and others.
    Or at least thats how it SHOULD be... not quite how it works out sometimes lol
    good_blink_plan
    chasesrc
    Fenders & Gibsons, Fenders & Gibsons, Jeez...you know not all guitars are Fenders or Gibsons. ~shanezep~ lighten up man.
    Ryan Da 4 Eyez
    shanezep : but your review is completely unrealistic theres no way a cheap copy of a high quality guitar can be a 9.4 rating.
    ignoring the fact it was a copy because I never realised it was, the fact is, it plays amazingly. I've played alot of great guitars and this definately plays better than some of them
    shanezep
    Ryan Da 4 Eyez
    shanezep : this is just a copy of a taylor t5 and if you think this guitar competes with some of the best fender and gibsons then obviously you havent played and of the best fender or gibsons... a taylor t5 is a very high quality guitar which is very nice to play whereas this is just a cheaply made copy of it for a fraction of the price it is no where near the quality of that.
    well i liked it