RV800 Review

7.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
RV800 Reviewed by: Emil315, on september 17, 2009

Purchased from: Helland Musikksenter

Features: I'm not sure what year this was made, not where either. It has 22 frets, altough it says Jumbofrets, I don't think they're that big, altough they're bigger then you'r average fret. The neck is made of Maple, the Fingerboard Rosewood, and the body is Basswood, this gives the guitar a very light weight, as well as a very nice tone. This guitar has a sort of Ferrari Red Finish, which looks good on it in my opinion. The body style is like a scalloped Randy Rhoads V, only without a cut-away and with the jack out the outside of the V. The brigde is Vintage Tremolo Chrome, looks like the one you can find on low-end Strat-copies etc. but it's still decent. This guitar has passive electronics, which is very usual for guitars at this price. This guitar has a tone-knob, a Volume-knob, and a 3-way pickup selector, nice and simple! I'm not sure which pickups are on this thing, but they have a very good sound! The neck Pickup has a very nice and tender solo sound, and it sounds good in clean. The bridge is more gritty, and better for heavy riffage. The brigde pickup has a very snappy sound in clean, not good for calmer stuff, but good for jammin in clean etc. The tuners are non-locking Diecast Halfmoon Chrome tuners, they stay in good tune if you don't use the whammy too much. When I bought this, I got a specialized Cruiser gig-bag for this thing on the buy, cause they're hard to find. Only mistake they did was to give me the wrong bag, they gave me the bag for the RG series by Crafter, but as long as I can carry my guitar in the thing, I'm good, also, its kinda good to have a little extra space. // 7

Sound: This guitar suits my style of playing perfectly, I mostly play metal, everything from Three Days Grace to Metallica to Avenged Sevenfold, and so on. However, this guitar is a pretty cheap one, so I would rather get a more expensive one, but that can wait, this one is good enough, and more than worth it's price! I use this guitar with a Vox Pathfinder 10, a Boss MT-2 overdrive pedal, and a Peavey speaker (doesen't really affect the tone, just gives me stereo sound and enables me to play louder and with more bass.) On clean this guitar makes next to no sound at all other than when I'm playing, when I turn up the gain to about 6 however, it makes some sound, but the flick of a Volume-Switch solves it. This guitar has got you're average guitar sound I guess, nothing especially good, other than when you play with Drive with the neck pickup, but nothing especially BAD either, all in all, a very good guitar worth more than it's price. This guitar is pretty versatile I think, it can play metal, rock, blues, shred, and pretty much all electric-guitar based music. The neck pickup has a very bright, mellow sound, while the brigde has a more egdy, snappy, dark sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar when I got it was a little to high, so my guitar teacher fixed it for me (I wasn't experienced enough to know it was too high), and now, it's a dream to play! The pickups were nicely adjusted when I got this thing, they really contrast each other! I haven't discovered any flaws on this thing yet, it's got a few scratches and the painting has been grinded of in the corners a little but that because I have been sitting in an office chair with it (don't ask!) so it wasnt like this when I got it. Other than that, the nut was a little rattly on the high E, but my guitar teacher just filed it down a little bit, nothing to worry about, but perfectionism FTW! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I definately think this guitar will withstand live playing, but when I let go of the guitar and just let it hang from my shoulders, the neck sort of goes down, but it only does that when it gets a little out of balance, but it can really be a bother sometimes. I think that the hardware on this thing will last a long time for chrome, cause it has almost no scratches from almost a year of my wild abuse and transportof my guitar. I would definately use this on a gig without a backup, cause there has been no problems with it yet other than the fact that when I use 009. strings, my high E seems to break pretty often, now I use 010., and I havent broken a single set yet! This finish has, as I said, withstood my abuse for almost a year, and I have been playing it almost non-stop since I got it, so I think it's gonna last a while. The only scratches it has is, as previousely mentioned, a few scratches on the horns, but they're my own fault cause I have been sitting in an office chair with arm-supporters (again, don't ask!). // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly Metal, and I think that this fits it perfectly, a nice, thin, comfortably neck, which allows me to play fast and clean, perfect! I have been playing for almost 2 years now, and I own another cheap guitar which is a Zephyr Strat copy, which sucks in comparison. If I could reset time to the moment I bought this guitar, I don't really know what I would have asked, if I would have asked anything at all. Overall this guitar is a very good, affordable, guitar, with nice tone, great playability, and a nice look. // 10

Comments