Rock Candy Custom review by Daisy Rock

Daisy Rock: Rock Candy Custom

Purchased from: Used

I play mostly rock/hard rock, and I really like how it works for that. It can be a little on the bright side, but it is certainly not a thin or brittle type. It also gets some very nice blues and even some fairly decent twang with the coil tap. One thing it does not seem to do well is that really deep nu-metal type tone. If you're looking for that, I can imagine you may end up disappointed. It is wonderful for me though. A nice mid-rangy tone that easily sits in a mix.

It is a great fit for rock/hard rock. I have been playing for a bit over twenty years, but I have really only been serious and consistent for the last ten. I have a couple of other Daisy Rock guitars (A Rock Candy Classic guitar and Rock Candy bass). For amps and effects, I've used Line 6 Pods for the past 4 years or so and now using a Pod HD 500. For amplification I currently have a little 25W Fender Frontman for portability and also a Crate Blue Voodoo head and cabinet. If I had to replace this, I most definitely would! I just love the neck, and how light and comfortable it is to play for hours! It is a really lovely guitar, sounds great, and (if setup well) super fun to play. What more could I want?

It has never let me down in this area, and I have played and travelled a lot with this particular guitar. I can't comment on the strap buttons as someone else mentioned, I always change those out right away and put strap locks on. I certainly trust and depend on it, and I've even flown out of the country with it going in checked baggage. In a flight case, of course. The finish is starting to show signs of use. Mine is a 'Black Star' with a matte black finish that is starting to get quite shiny in a few areas from playing. As far as the chips and dings, well it is hard to not expect that if you dance and jump around a lot when playing and have a tendency to bump into things.

I can't say how this one was from the factory, being used, but I have tried a number of Daisy Rocks off the shelf, and I do think that they could use better consistency on the setups. It is hard to say though, it could also be a lack of care from the particular shop(s) they happened to be in. I am fairly particular about my setups though, and I tend to do them myself. There didn't seem to be any flaws on this one though. I still have to only give it a 6 rating here, because as a brand off the shelf, I've seen a wide range of setup (and build?) quality and even some that were unplayable. I don't think I could recommend one based on this unless you know how to setup a guitar well on your own or have a reliable shop to work with.

This is a 24.75" scale guitar, Les Paul sycamore body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard. Hardware: Through the body Tune-o-matic bridge, 2 passive Duncan Designed humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 Tone that pulls to toggle humbucking and split/single coil modes, 3 way pickup selector. The neck and body are very slim and comfortable, making it a very lightweight guitar that is easy to play for hours.

Jonno
    I'm sure they make some...playable guitars, but to be honest, the finish is probably the most expensive part of a guitar to manufacture - and I'd rather have something in the same price range with a shabby finish and more of my money going towards the hardware and pickups. The guitar may have no idea what gender is playing it, but DAISY ROCK spent millions of dollars trying to market there product to GIRLS instead of spending it on making a better instrument for MUSICIANS.
    Davenir
    Jonno The finish is the most inexpensive part I`ll tell you. The labour in Asia cames cheap and they love to F# up people with fake bling. Yeahh you are right Ill tell you that that if we could manufact guitars that cheap here in scandinavia they surtenly would satisfy more than just ending up as a 400 bucks peace of art on the livingroom wall.
    Yetaxa
    A lot of guys play Daisy Rocks cos not all guys have big hands or long fingers. Maybe if other guitar companies made variable width/contour guitar necks for their models, people with smaller hands wouldn't have to turn to Daisy Rock. I have a few guitars myself, one of them a Daisy Rock (Rock Candy Classic) and it's a fairly decent guitar for the money (made by Schecter) as well as having a manageable neck - and yea, I'm a chick with fairly small hands. :p But does it really matter what gender you are if you like the guitar and the way it feels and plays? Too much gender bias here.