Rocky Candy Classic review by Daisy Rock

Daisy Rock: Rocky Candy Classic

Purchased from: A Shop

The guitar can deal with many different sounds but more often than not, it has a fuller tone which is largely due to the humbucker pickups as apposed to just single-coils. However, it does have, as I mentioned earlier, a push/pull tone knob which does cut the sound to only use the single-coils in the humbuckers. Despite having a "fat" tone, the higher-pitched strings are always audible even on my guitar and I have strung it with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys which as you probably know, have a much heavier low end. I do run it through my Line 6 spider 3 which itself produces a great sound from virtually any guitar but, in the shop I found it, I ran it through an Ibanez amp and it sounded amazing then. The only downside is that it may not produce a thin enough sound fro certain people. Although this does not effect me (I like thick tones) deducts one point from it, giving sound a 9.

As I've mentioned, it is THE perfect guitar for my style of glam-rock. I also enjoy grunge and it does play many grunge tunes perfectly although I wouldn't really like to see alice in chains weilding these any time soon... Compared to my other guitar, Epiphone SG, it is slightly heavier, but has a thinner neck. Doesn't have two tone and volume controls but has a push/pull tone knob. Basically, whatever flaws I find with it, it makes up with additional things. If someone were to take this off me, I'd hunt them down and kill them.. But if I didn't find them (unlikely, don't try robbing it basically!) I would definitely buy a new one. The only other thing I wish this guitar did have was a whammy bar, but most les paul-style guitars don't and it's not exactly necessary now is it... I feel I should mention that if you were to buy one off Daisy Rock's website, this guitar would set you back $420 at the moment and $580 (320) when it's not on sale, which is a nearly 200 pound more than I got mine for. Despite it being between 265-320, I'd say it is still worth the money if you wanted one.

Not much to say here really, I've already rattled on a bit too much but then, if you're reading this you're probably interested in the guitar so actually want to know the ins-and-outs of it.. The strap buttons are the right size which a lot of guitars aren't- they are pretty big which ACTUALLY holds straps on which would be a disaster if you were on stage and it fell off and I saw this happen to many guitarists, even Angus Young! Seems solid wood, withstands a good beating (although I haven't tried this of course, I'm just guessing). No sign of degradation of the finish or hardware although I have only had it a couple of weeks.

The neck as I said, is thin (probably because Daisy Rock make guitars exclusively for girls, but they look bithcin enough for anyone. I myself, am a Teenage boy who loves glam rock and metal so it's perfect really) and so can ease moving around the fretboard which comes in very handy for lead guitarists such as myself. The only problem I have come across here is that on the 13th fret of the B string I had fret-buzz but after quickly adjusting the bridge, it poses no problem any more. The vibrant Pink glittery finish probably wont be the one for you if you play in a death metal band but I personally love it and of course, if you don't like the finish, don't buy the bloody guitar... The only reason why it falls slightly short of a ten in this category is that it is slightly heavier than SGs which I am used to (which all les pauls I've played are, one of the reasons why I prefer SGs).

I was first attracted to this guitar due to it's shocking, in-your-face Pink glitter finish. Being a big fan of (and playing like) Marc Bolan & T.Rex, among many other glam bands that would weild this axe, it seemed not too over-the-top for me, so i decided to try it out. I was taken a bit aback by the size of the neck, it was about a centimetre smaller than my other main guitar, an Epiphone G-400 (which I would also seriously recommend). It has grover tuners which I knew from experience with my aforementioned SG are good quality and do not easily slip out of tune. It features one volume and one tone knob, thought the tone also has a push/pull system which comes in quite useful sometimes. The guitar is les paul shaped and contains a neck and bridge "Duncan Designed" pickups which do actually sound a lot like real Seymour Duncs.

Aetrox
    Vabolo
    Hahaha-No.
    sg dude 38
    i played one once just for laughs, but it is actually a pretty nice guitar for the money. i'm not a big fan of the sparkle finish, but i'm confident in my manhood, and i wouldn't mind playing a guitar that plays that good. grow a pair and try the thing before you hate on it.
    Reesy666
    timricke wrote: Not that I have played one, but has anyone played one and NOT liked it? All the naysayers seem to be judging without playing one first. They are basing their opinion on name or price.
    You seem to be right, i haven't heard a bad review from people who have played it. First of all, line 6 spider 3's ARE good, i have a little one and this guitar i played because my friend just bought it and asked me to check it out. It is actually a pretty good guitar, id recommend it to people with littler hands though, although the slim neck did help with shredding solos! I use a '64 SG through a Marshall JCM-800 Lead Series head and two marshall cabs, so i do know what good gear sounds like before anyone wants to stab at me.
    ShellieAC
    I own this Guitar. Her name is Psychedelic LipGloss. I absolutely love this guitar and play it every day. So glad I found her.
    timricke
    JaMeZtEr
    IYanoplathizoI wrote: You missed april the first.. Confused with Christmas?
    I tried this out at Guitar Center, and it actually sounds sweet as balls. And that's coming from someone who plays a custom shop ESP Edwards with an EMG 81 in the bridge.
    TheHawkdaddy
    They are pretty nice guitars, I guarantee the people bashing them have never played one out of fear of being called names.
    rgman13
    i bought my wife an isis elite and it is very ornate, and sound really nice, it even has coil taps, but for everyone thats hating i wonder if many (or any) of you are aware that daisy rock is owned by alfred publishing, yes the tab book company, but did you know they are also in corporation with schecter? hmmmmm something to think about.....
    Johnmayergal
    Johnmayergal wrote: CranberryJuice wrote: "Made by girls, for girls." Cmon UG users, have some class. And no, I'm not being sexist. These are made for im a girl and i would play this guitar!! then again i also have self respect soooo....
    ...**** what a bad typo Wouldnt!!!
    Daburcor
    Daisy Rock guitars are actually pretty nice. The Bangles signature model sounds fantastic.
    MR.ParKs
    The only problem I have with this guitar is that it's ugly as hell (to me).
    n00barmy
    I have a friend who bought a daisy rock guitar and it actually played quite well. I wasn't able to plug it in to test the sound but it was comfortable to play; even if it was pink and sparkly.
    Johnmayergal
    *blinks about 195674563 times* to make sure im not reading the rating wrong... does that really say 9.6 no i think the decimal place is wrong... no...0.96 is still to high..
    CranberryJuice
    thadjrdn123
    I kinda want to get one just so i can put better pick ups (dimarzio for sure), better (locking) tuners, a floating trem, and better electronics. Make a beast guitar that sounds amazing but looks hilarious, for somewhat cheap.
    MT in Austin
    Itried one of their other models and was impressed at the quality for the price. Personally, I wouldn't go 9s and 10s on rating it but it was surprisingly good. BTW, almost any guitar can suck right off the wall or out of the box and almost all guitars can be greatly improved by a proper setup. If it had a straight neck, action can get to 8-10 with proper adjustment. If you buy a guitar in a shop that sets their merch up right, (not GC or Sam Ash) you can get a reasonably price guitar that plays well.
    Akiel
    9.6? For a guitar from a company named DAISY ROCK? DAISY ROCK? You've got to be joking, mate. DAISY ROCK??!!
    metalfr3ak666
    i reeally hope that it was either a girl or a gay guy writing this review and not a person who actually plays this guitar.
    demon.guitarist
    Is this a piss take?! ..no seriously, a line 6 spider making a good sound of any instrument?!?! a 9.6 rating despite fret buzz, a hugely small neck, gay finish, shit high end??!!! sorry, but please dont write reviews until you've at least played a moderately GOOD guitar first through a half decent amp. PLEASE.
    Vikingx
    A 9.6 rating for a guitar that you can buy at Toys R Us? I don't think so. They should give these things away in gumball machines. Evidently this kids head would explode if he ever played a real instrument.
    redshift21
    You're basing your dislike on the retailer not the guitar, it might be a very reasonable sounding instrument for all we know, I'll wait until I here one live before I come down on it.
    SilverSpurs616
    Aetrox wrote: Hey Guys, just thought I would drop a note and help the little guy out. I own one of these guitars and it doesn't suck. Now mine is one of the original issue classics. The primary difference being that the body is made of mahogany rather than sycamore, like the new ones. I gotta tell ya once you get it dialed in the intonation is good, it is stable and is very easy to play. Once you really look at the design it is very obvious that the guys who designed it just scaled down a Les paul. Also just a little about daisy, Tish Ciravolo the founder of the company is married to Michael Ciravolo the president of Schecter Guitars. I know Schecter is not the same as Fender, Gibson, ESP, Etc. Etc. but this is not a company that started without access to sound R&D. If you look at the nicer Daisy's they share a lot of attributes with Schecter's. They are not $2000 guitars but then again they do not cost that much either. Now about the guitar itself. I own 2 parkers a pair of Kawai F2b's, I have had a Yanaha a '62 Jazzmaster and a couple of other guitars in the past as well as having had access to a host of pre CBS fenders (back in the day when you could get them at pawn shops for next to nothing). I am not a great musician, if fact I think it is safe to say I suck, But I have fun. Now this guitar is great for someone with small hands (me) the scale length is 24.75 same as a Gibson but the neck profile is more narrow and the string spacing is not as wide so it can get cramped when finger picking. For rhythm strumming and melody work it's good. I do disagree with the reviewer in that I belive the pickups are the weakest part of the guitar. They are duncan HB103's. Apparently these are not made by Duncan or something like that because even if you buy them from Duncan they are labeled "designed by seymour duncan" rather than the usual labeling. However a quick switch and all is good. I chose Duncan P rails, so far I like 'em, but they are still new and I am waiting for that giddyness to wear off. Also one other complaint with a glued on neck and Mahogany body and Mahogany neck this thing is very resonant (remember it is a light weight not like a full size les paul) Sympathetic vibrations can become a problem with it. I have had mine four years now and the fretboard is starting to show a little wear, you know that polishing that old rosewood has. The frets themselves are still good as new. You can actually play this thing and there are a slew of folks who use these things to make a living with, my favorite example is Simon Stinger if you hear any of their stuff Mary Cary played this things exclusively. In short mine works, it does what it is supposed to do. But then again I also like the saying "It is a poor musician who blames his instrument". That saying applies to so much more than music. Have a good one.
    Oh look! A brand new account, how odd...
    jannick
    this would be sooo cool if it had boobs. not getting this version...
    jetwash69
    This is what happens when Washburn stops making Hannah Montanna guitars. At least those only cost $99. So kvlt! :
    Cheesepuff
    did daisy rock get a good review? Fuck dude, for the price you coulda just gotten a strat copy
    CaptinK'nuckles
    I've played this guitar (for sh!ts and gigs), and if your a new guitarist, it's not bad. Then again, when your a new guitarist, any guitar isnt bad lol! But fo real, I'm at a loss on why you would buy this... It has a terrible colour, and it feels like such a quick buy. It's like the guy just needed a guitar so he bought something cheap... Save up your money, buy something gorgeous that will last you forever, and you'll want to play forever! Chances are that bright pink finish will get old someday...
    cheerprncess
    I have a daisy rock and i fcking LOVE it...i dont know why all yall are hating on it so much...because their slogan says its for bitches???? Come on now....I love the sound, the size, and its durable as hell...
    davewee
    I got my daughter one of these. Short scale cos she's 8! It's pretty good for the money. Sound is not exceptional but nothing much wrong with it either, and build and component quality is quite acceptable. Still a bit heavy for her for extended periods, but she's growing, and the neck is well designed for small hands... I even play it myself sometimes around the house and it sounds about as good as most sub-$200 guitars. It's easy to play. I wouldn't go on stage with it, but then I'm not a pre-teen girl and I've got more expensive guitars I need to get my money's worth from. If you haven't played one, or are just feeling inadequate and think a bigger darker guitar might help you, you really shouldn't waste anyone's time answering a review about this. As for that 9.6, though... um, maybe not. 9.6 would imply this is almost perfect. It's a good small guitar for young players, but it's a long way from perfection.
    PrinceBeelzebut
    In India this piece of shit guitar costs more than a Schecter Demon 8.My younger sister has one of these.It cost her Rs33000 in India while my Schecter Demon 8 cost me just Rs31000 and my Schecter sounds much better than her Daisy Rock guitar.
    jean_genie
    So I expect to get flamed for this, but I really like the star guitar. Shame it's a short scale. Bear in mind I also really like Prince.
    allancurrie
    guitarsftw wrote: I honestly think this was a joke.
    As do I. There is no way this guitar could get a 9.6. Any other guitar would blow his mind if he thought it deserved this.
    Funk Monk
    jannick wrote: this would be sooo cool if it had boobs. not getting this version...
    I agree, I'll buy as soon as they come out with the Boob Model
    J.J.G.
    PISSED MY PANTS
    The bass shaped like a daisy looked interesting, but I think they discontinued it.
    Seref
    I wonder if the reviewer was a guy. Furthermore, I wonder if the reviewer was a guy and didn't realize that this is Life-Size Barbie's guitar.