Rocky Candy Classic Review

3,517
review (1) pictures (1) 53 comments vote for this gear:
Rocky Candy Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2009

Purchased from: A Shop

Features: I was first attracted to this guitar due to it's shocking, in-your-face Pink glitter finish. Being a big fan of (and playing like) Marc Bolan & T.Rex, among many other glam bands that would weild this axe, it seemed not too over-the-top for me, so i decided to try it out. I was taken a bit aback by the size of the neck, it was about a centimetre smaller than my other main guitar, an Epiphone G-400 (which I would also seriously recommend). It has grover tuners which I knew from experience with my aforementioned SG are good quality and do not easily slip out of tune. It features one volume and one tone knob, thought the tone also has a push/pull system which comes in quite useful sometimes. The guitar is les paul shaped and contains a neck and bridge "Duncan Designed" pickups which do actually sound a lot like real Seymour Duncs. // 10

Sound: The guitar can deal with many different sounds but more often than not, it has a fuller tone which is largely due to the humbucker pickups as apposed to just single-coils. However, it does have, as I mentioned earlier, a push/pull tone knob which does cut the sound to only use the single-coils in the humbuckers. Despite having a "fat" tone, the higher-pitched strings are always audible even on my guitar and I have strung it with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys which as you probably know, have a much heavier low end. I do run it through my Line 6 spider 3 which itself produces a great sound from virtually any guitar but, in the shop I found it, I ran it through an Ibanez amp and it sounded amazing then. The only downside is that it may not produce a thin enough sound fro certain people. Although this does not effect me (I like thick tones) deducts one point from it, giving sound a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck as I said, is thin (probably because Daisy Rock make guitars exclusively for girls, but they look bithcin enough for anyone. I myself, am a Teenage boy who loves glam rock and metal so it's perfect really) and so can ease moving around the fretboard which comes in very handy for lead guitarists such as myself. The only problem I have come across here is that on the 13th fret of the B string I had fret-buzz but after quickly adjusting the bridge, it poses no problem any more. The vibrant Pink glittery finish probably wont be the one for you if you play in a death metal band but I personally love it and of course, if you don't like the finish, don't buy the bloody guitar... The only reason why it falls slightly short of a ten in this category is that it is slightly heavier than SGs which I am used to (which all les pauls I've played are, one of the reasons why I prefer SGs). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Not much to say here really, I've already rattled on a bit too much but then, if you're reading this you're probably interested in the guitar so actually want to know the ins-and-outs of it.. The strap buttons are the right size which a lot of guitars aren't- they are pretty big which ACTUALLY holds straps on which would be a disaster if you were on stage and it fell off and I saw this happen to many guitarists, even Angus Young! Seems solid wood, withstands a good beating (although I haven't tried this of course, I'm just guessing). No sign of degradation of the finish or hardware although I have only had it a couple of weeks. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've mentioned, it is THE perfect guitar for my style of glam-rock. I also enjoy grunge and it does play many grunge tunes perfectly although I wouldn't really like to see alice in chains weilding these any time soon... Compared to my other guitar, Epiphone SG, it is slightly heavier, but has a thinner neck. Doesn't have two tone and volume controls but has a push/pull tone knob. Basically, whatever flaws I find with it, it makes up with additional things. If someone were to take this off me, I'd hunt them down and kill them.. But if I didn't find them (unlikely, don't try robbing it basically!) I would definitely buy a new one. The only other thing I wish this guitar did have was a whammy bar, but most les paul-style guitars don't and it's not exactly necessary now is it... I feel I should mention that if you were to buy one off Daisy Rock's website, this guitar would set you back $420 at the moment and $580 (320) when it's not on sale, which is a nearly 200 pound more than I got mine for. Despite it being between 265-320, I'd say it is still worth the money if you wanted one. // 10

Comments