59-DC review by Danelectro

Danelectro: 59-DC

Purchased from: 2nd hand

I tried many 2nd hand guitars a lot more expensive, this was the best and soooo damn versatile. Theres the jangly almost accoustic sound, right through to your jazzy Gibson sound, and thats saying somthing as may amp is a piece of crap! You can also change the height of the pikups via the screws at the back but I haven't needed that.

I like to play accoustic music like Ben Harper, Michael Franti, accoustic Pink Floyd, jazz stuff, classical stuff and flamenco. This is my first electric, I've been playing a Fender Acoustic for about 11 years and now feel the erge to play electric. I also play bass, violin, keyboard, mandolin/banjo & vocals. This guitar rocks! If I lost this guitar I would definetely get another one!

As mentioned above the bridge is junk, I've heard that for 50 bucks you can get the 9-DC pro's bridge, which has all of those little tuning things (I don't know what it's called). Around the outside has this white tape which appears to be coming off, I think I'll rip it off and paint it white instead. Stap buttons are plastic and the one close to the neck is justin the wrong place for a big chunky strap, so it bends the leather a bit, but once again it's a cheapy guitar with incredible sound. As for live playing I havent tested that out yet, im sure it can withstand it, I've only had my dano a week and i swear my boyfriend is getting jelious!

I love the action, the bridge is also a peice of crap, this I feel is it's only downfall, the neck is beautiful tuning pegs are plastic, so a little crappy but you cant complain for the price.

- 98/99 model made in Korea - 21-frets - Limo black with double cutaway (DC) - 2-lipstick pickups (single coil) - 3-way Switch - Stacked volume/tone knobs for both pickups - Rosewood neck - Black w/matching headstock and neck - Masonite scratchplate - Danelectro tuners - Tweed looking puffy gigbag, some would call it mustard in colour, I'll call it baby poo brown!

PeteAtkins
    I had one of these and it was very much a one-trick pony. It did the twangy clean thing well but that was about it. I also wouldn't trust it with long term use, seemed a bit flimsy and cheap to me.
    ECwomantoneman
    Jimmy Page played the DC Pro for slide duty with Zep, which was the upmarket version of this one
    Wulver
    Apparently, the recent models have die-cast tuners and a decent bridge. Thought I'd mention that, for the sake of any fellow future buyers. (only a month away, only a month....)