59-DC review by Danelectro

Danelectro: 59-DC

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Thomann B-Stock

I play all sorts off music and it suits every kind, just because it's that simple. I love it with a little Fender G-DEC but it's a guitar that grows on you and is really good with every amp. It's not noisy, you can play from surf, rockabilly to Vintage hard rock to jazz, everything you want to do/hear, it does it.

I have lots off gear and if I buy something I always ask myself, "Will I keep this instrument or will I sell it after a few months?", before I bought this Danelectro I thought I never would sell it and that is what I'm going to do. Best buy ever!

I like my Gretsch very mutch but I couldn't miss my Dano!

Badly set up at the factory, neck looked like a banana, strings sucked, but if you know about guitars, after putting new strings (size 11) and straightened the neck, waw, waw, waw,...

I guess it was made in 2011 in China. It is a simple electric guitar with two lipsticks, nothing else to say about it. I like it when guitars have a bridge in wood, all of my guitars have that kind off bridges.

Fenderdog
    These are great guitars! I played some back in the 70s. A couple of friends had a few Danelectros. Different models than the 59 DC. These things use to be dirt cheap at Sears back in the day. I've seen some that had a small tube amp built into their guitar case! I feel they are overpriced these days.
    memaschmidt
    I have 2 Danelectro guitars now, and owned an original Danelectro Longhorn Bass in the 1960's that I played in bar bands for nearly 15 years. The wood on the bridge looks cheap, but it is stable and works - required only periodic adjustments over years of playing it live for me, and I hit that bass hard. The truss rod is adjusted by removing the neck - the adjustment is on the bottom of the neck. I usually set mine close to very flat, and make height adjustments from the bridge. Danelectro tops and backs are made of masonite - smooth side out-glued to pine or plywood outlines that form the sides. They are then covered with that plastic tape to save more money for finishing and paint. They were dirt cheap in their day, but they sound fantastic, are very clean and noise free, and they record beautifully. You can get a lot of tones from them that would amaze you, even a very good jazz guitar tone. When they are set up properly they are just incredible guitars and I doubt there is anything that can touch them. I replaced the bridge on one of my Dano's with an adjustable bridge from Ebay I got for about $40. Works and sounds great, and it does make the guitar more playable and allows it to be intonated exactly, which makes is sound even better. Get a good set up and good strings, keep the screws tight and the guitar clean and they will never let you down. mark