Baritone review by Danelectro

Danelectro: Baritone

Purchased from: eBay

This is one of the coolest instruments I have ever played. It's amazing. The Baritone guitar is a very odd instrument. It is tuned B-to-B (as opposed to the normal tuning, E-to-E). This instrument is not quite a bass and not quite a guitar. It sounds deep, full, reach, extremely twangy, and with a touch of reverb, it sounds fantastic. Two-note lead lines really do well on this instrument. The middle pickup setting is the one I enjoy the most; it's the fullest, richest sound. It has this "pop" to it, that I really can't describe at all, but it's fantastic. I actually tune it a full octave down occasionally, playing it like a 6-string bass. There is one main problem with this, which is that the string tension gets a little too low. However this guitar plays fabulously as a bass, and more importantly, sounds god-like. There is no other guitar that sounds like this.

I guess I write pop-ish songs, but I consider my stuff to be fairly experimental sound-wise. The thing is perfect for me, because it gives me a whole new tonal palette to work with. I would definitely get another if it were stolen or lost; I might look into the Fender Jaguar Bass, however, which is a reissue of the Fender Bass VI, a baritone guitar from the '60s that was never very popular. I wish it felt a little sturdier.

I've played it live. It's a blast. The strap buttons legitimately do suck. They're super-cheap and awkwardly placed. Can you depend on it? I'm not too rough on my guitars, so I do.

The action is high. I would like to bring it down, but I'm lazy and, anyway, I think it may actually help the tone.

I believe this is a 1999 reissue, but don't quote me on that. The guitar looks like a piece of junk. You'll see it, you'll pick it up, and you'll say, damn, this thing sucks. It's a semi-hollowbody. Two "lipstick" single-coil pickups. 28" neck (details below). Extremely basic gig bag etc. I really like it's minimal nature. I'm really sick of souped-up, pimped-out Les Pauls, PRSs and what have you. This is a guitar, not a sex toy.

Harvey_Danger
    You people really don't know shit about guitars, do you? This thing has amazing tone. I'm going crazy trying to find one...
    Dudage
    I hate you. "If Joe Perry uses it it must be good". Get an opinion
    whencowsfart101
    whencowsfart101 wrote: 94 hours wrote: i personally would say anything by danelectro is crap but i saw a pic of joe perry using one so i guess it cant be too bad..... I played one in a music shop and hated it! The tone is horrible, out of focus and buzzy. It played horribly, had
    the worst fret access and sounded like a constapated hippo.
    94 hours
    quoisme
    I know this is an older thread, but I have the option of acquiring one of these Danelectro baritones (a 99-01 yellow with 30" scale tuned a-a) or a mim strat (dark blue w ebony fret) through a trade. I know the strat is worth more, but I'm having a little trouble deciding which one to take.?.?
    mod59dc
    Danelectro makes a Damn good product, customer service is always great too ! Playing a Convertible is pure joy. It's not how much ya spend, it's how ya bend!(Jingle~Jangle~jingle~jangle...)
    hazuing
    Sorry, have you played any Danelectros? Or is just because it's not a Gibson. And, to repeat someone else's comment, get an opinion. Seriously, poser guitarists are annoying as hell, and come across as that way.
    hazuing
    Dave2210 wrote: Huh, B-B? I don't it. Why is it tuned to that??? So is this thing actualy a regular guitar? Oh and I think that 'pop' it has is discribed pretty well enought lol :p
    It is a guitar. It's just tuned differently.
    tufel77
    to clear up the tuning questions, a standard guitar is tuned e-e. b-b is a perfect fourth below standard. A 6 string bass is tuned b-c, low to high: BEADGC. I've heard the dano baritones, they have an interesting sound, I would totally not recommend it if you want to play Fear Factory, but if you want an original sound and don't mind playing what is essentially a plank of wood with pickups it's pretty nice. Keep in mind that Jack White plays shitty plastic guitars. Cheers
    Ali-b912
    baritone is between bass and regular guitar i think, and wth, gibson death metal? most death metal bands play baritones and usually not gibsons
    whencowsfart101
    Limey
    Really interested in this. You can play it as a bass, baritone, or even capo the 5th fret and use it as a regular guitar.
    The Demiurge
    b-b tuning i thought that was for 6 string bass doesnt look like a bass is it made for that tuning or is it just the guys preff
    Dave2210
    Scrate
    yay baritone, i love baritone guitars, super lows... sweet. this is an awesome guitar.
    steinz
    i hate po songs,and i hate baritone...gibson death metal for ever!