Baritone Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 07/04/2006 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Danelectro: Baritone
The Baritone features slick retro looks, a masonite/plywood body, 2 lipstick style single-coil pickups, Die-Cast tuners, painted maple bolt-on neck, 24 fret rosewood fingerboard, and more!
 7.2
 8.4
 5.9
 5,278
review (1) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Baritone Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I believe this is a 1999 reissue, but don't quote me on that. The guitar looks like a piece of junk. You'll see it, you'll pick it up, and you'll say, damn, this thing sucks. It's a semi-hollowbody. Two "lipstick" single-coil pickups. 28" neck (details below). Extremely basic gig bag etc. I really like it's minimal nature. I'm really sick of souped-up, pimped-out Les Pauls, PRSs and what have you. This is a guitar, not a sex toy. // 8

Sound: This is one of the coolest instruments I have ever played. It's amazing. The Baritone guitar is a very odd instrument. It is tuned B-to-B (as opposed to the normal tuning, E-to-E). This instrument is not quite a bass and not quite a guitar. It sounds deep, full, reach, extremely twangy, and with a touch of reverb, it sounds fantastic. Two-note lead lines really do well on this instrument. The middle pickup setting is the one I enjoy the most; it's the fullest, richest sound. It has this "pop" to it, that I really can't describe at all, but it's fantastic. I actually tune it a full octave down occasionally, playing it like a 6-string bass. There is one main problem with this, which is that the string tension gets a little too low. However this guitar plays fabulously as a bass, and more importantly, sounds god-like. There is no other guitar that sounds like this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is high. I would like to bring it down, but I'm lazy and, anyway, I think it may actually help the tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live. It's a blast. The strap buttons legitimately do suck. They're super-cheap and awkwardly placed. Can you depend on it? I'm not too rough on my guitars, so I do. // 6

Overall Impression: I guess I write pop-ish songs, but I consider my stuff to be fairly experimental sound-wise. The thing is perfect for me, because it gives me a whole new tonal palette to work with. I would definitely get another if it were stolen or lost; I might look into the Fender Jaguar Bass, however, which is a reissue of the Fender Bass VI, a baritone guitar from the '60s that was never very popular. I wish it felt a little sturdier. // 10

Comments