Danoblaster Hearsay review by Danelectro

Danelectro: Danoblaster Hearsay

Purchased from: Used

This guitar amazed me with its sound. For $150, I did not expect too great of a guitar. This guitar proved me wrong. The song can be bubbly and/or cutting w/o distortion, or it can be very grungy and driving w/ distortion. With only the bridge pickup, you can get very nice classic rock sounds. Also, jazz tones can be brought out of the guitar with the clean tones. However, the built-in distortion isn't really that great - it's supposed to replicate 60's style distortion. Quite obviously, distortion sucked in teh 60's. Fortunately, the build-in distortion does not seem to have figured heavily (if at all) into the price of the guitar, so you can use it if you like, but if not, just don't.

I play predominatly a lot of pop-punk, yes, I know, "easy stuff" and whatnot, but hey, it's catchy, and I like it. It matches, but then again, just about any guitar could probably do it. I've been playing for about 1/2 year and I own a Peavey Rage 158 amp. I love this guitar, and if it were stolen/lost, I would try to get another one. I compared this guitar to a Peavey Raptor and a couple other guitars within the $100-200 price range. I don't really like how there isn't a humbucker, but I'm buying a Seymour Duncan Hotrails for the bridge. The loose tuning peg also is quite bothersome, but buying a new one would also solve that.

This guitar should withstand live playing, although I have yet to try. The hardware seems good enough though. There is one chip in the finish that got there when I dropped the guitar on the cement, but it doesn't effect tone. The thing is, there was only a small chip, not more, so I'm pretty impressed. The strap buttons are securely on the guitar. I'm the type of person that checks, double checks, and triple checks everything, but if I had to, I would use it in a gig w/o a backup. Well, I would bring a backup 9-volt battery if I were still using the built-in distortion.

thedarkest92
    i own one and i was also very suprised... at the sound of the guitar for the price, i bought mine for $139 used i saw that you complained about the distortion, but truly that can be overcome by buying a decent used amp that has lead gain, and reverb and what not overall for a begginger the guitar is a great buy
    whencowsfart101
    deepestpurple wrote: Why is there 0 for action and reliabilty?
    GuitarN00b
    [quote]Why is there 0 for action and reliabilty?
    Because the action on Danos are an inch off the neck and they go out of tune when you bend the strings. [/quote] (Sorry for responding so late, but...) Actually, action and reliability have 0s because I didn't feel like I knew enough to rate those at the time. I can say, though, that the action was actually very low when I first got it (although I had it set up professionally after that anyways). As far as reliability, I've had the guitar for >6 years now and I still love it. One of the tuners has become loose so the G string doesn't stay in tune as well as it used to, but it's not too bad of a fix anyways.