Dead On '67 review by Danelectro

Danelectro: Dead On '67

The sound of the tube pickups are a cross between the twang of a Telecaster and the quack of a Stratocaster. They still have a little bit more punch than a Strat, but they're not as piercingly sharp as a Tele can be. The pickups aren't very noisy and handle overdrive very well (especially with both engaged). This guitar is made for surf, but I find the jangle works well with a lot of Indie and even punk. Metal is hardly likely, but I never discourage from trying. The tremolo system works, but isn't the best unit I've ever used. It sits far too close to the body and isn't entirely adjustable. I did manage to get some shoegaze-y sounds out of it (a la My Bloody Valentine and Lush). It's almost hardly usable, sadly. However, even if you're not interested in all of these sounds, this guitar would make for an interesting slide guitar.

I play a variety of things, from blues to jazz to rock, though I'm more rooted in "alternative." This guitar suits a lot of these moreso than my cheap Jay Turser SG. I tried out the Dead On '67 with a Fender Super Champ XD, a combination which sounds phenomenal. I love the lipstick pickups, and the satin finish on the neck is so fast, much more than the polyurethane one I'm used to. These things come in a variety of colors and the price tag of $349 isn't too bad, though it is still just a Danelectro and I think if the price was a little lower this guitar would be a steal.

This guitar is pretty solid, not Tele-block solid but it would hold up just fine gigging or at home. The hardware's all solid but the strap buttons are on weird positions of the guitar (at least the one closest to the neck). I would feel comfortable using this guitar alone during a show, especially if I were playing rhythm.

The action was very low and the satin neck makes for a very fast and comfortable one. The frets were fine as far as I could see and there was no noticeable problems with the hardware of the guitar. The guitar stays fairly in tune with the tremolo, but I've seen better. My only gripe with the makeup of the guitar is the strange contouring of the body. It's extremely comfortable sitting or standing, but this Dano slips out of most guitar stands and doesn't stand properly on its own. I would be extra careful in standing it against anything. I would have given this an 8 but most the almost unusable tremolo and atypical shape bump it down.

A reproduction of the Hornet model of the 60's, this guitar has all the typical Dano aspects like the rosewood bridge, lipstick pickups, and satin finish vastly improved from their original counterparts. The truss rod is adjustable (an improvement from the original) and the body is extremely light, owing to the composite body material (no info on specifics on Dano's website). The package is complemented with a Dano tremolo. All hardware is nickel.

Wiintruder
    How does that composite compare to wood? Feel-like. And You gave it a 9 on sound even with the crappy tremolo?
    PumpkinPieces
    The Tremolo's adjustability/feel doesn't effect the sound.... its kind of an action/fit/finish issue. Which I assume is what brought that score down to 7.
    thewho65
    To address the tremolo issue: it's not unusable, it's just uniquely its own. It's not like a Bigsby and it's not like a Fender tremolo. It's really more suited for small dips using your palm than anything more aggressive than that. That's why I thought it was more surf-orientated. The bridge is supposedly "self-intonating" and seems like a nice, solid piece of hardware.
    NeonRevolations
    I played on one of these at a guitar center just a few hours ago and I thought the guitar played wonderful. The flat finish was looked nice. And the body is extremely light. So, if you would like a nice looking guitar thats light and plays pretty well, look no further.
    EarthenSonata
    Far and away the lightest guitar I've ever played. It felt like a pound and a half. It also plays like an old Korean guitar, at the very least. Danelectro has insane quality control to have these great instruments come out of China.
    ranbat
    From what I've found through various sources online, the body is NOT composite, but rather Basswood.
    yadneerg2
    Danelectro doesnt usually make tremelo bridges, so im asuming if they worked on it, that it could be great. *** AMAZING COLORS *****
    goo94
    aww man i gotta wait till my birthday in March for one! theyve got so many good reviews from magazines as well, so i cant wait to get a greeny!
    bobthebum16
    I saw this at GC the other day and thought it was just a cheap beginners guitar because I never really knew much about Danelectro guitars and the body looked like plastic. So I decide to try it and it actually sounded very good. Especially for $250. Sounds much better than any RG... well to me.
    _six_
    urkittenpoo
    _six_ wrote: Did anyone notice that when you select both pickups, the sound is much richer than when you select just the neck- of bridge-pickup? Never heard that on another guitar before, but still it's a nice guitar. And I'm considering to buy it.
    yeah thats because danos are wired different than most guitars. theyre wired so that when both pups are on it creates a humbucking effect.
    mooncow67
    I play these all the time at Guitar Center, I love them so much. I can't wait to get one.
    nbzeppelin
    great guitar. tremelo system may not be that good, but i unscrewed the bridge and tightened up the whammy bar. works fine now