Bolero review by DBZ Guitars

DBZ Guitars: Bolero

Price paid: € 665

Purchased from: 450

Designed by master guitar builder Dean B. Zelinsky, the DBZ Bolero Calavera features a unique 3D sculpted body adding a modern touch to this timeless classic. The body, cut from high-grade mahogany and capped with rock hard maple, comes loaded with DBZB/DBZ5 pickups with Coil Tap. The set mahogany neck is shaped to Dean Zelinsky's signature profile known for it's extreme comfort and speed. The Bolero Calavera produces a warm, thick, clearly defined tone making it a suitable choice for all styles of music, particularly rock, blues & metal. Adorned with the "Calavera" themed metal inset crest and matching truss rod cover, this guitar is trimmed with upgraded pearloid purfling. Set Neck/24.75";  Mahogany/Maple Body; Mahogany Neck; Ebonized Rosewood Fingerboard; 22 Frets; Premier Series Inlays; Pearloid Purfling; DBZB/DBZ5 Pickups; Vol/Tone/3-Way/Coil Tap; Grover Tuners; Nickel Hardware; DBZ Stop Tail; Foundry Metal Inset & Truss Rod Cover.

With the original pickups a lil'bit too vintage for me, so I've replaced them to Sublime-s /Made in Hungary/. So it's brutal! I've played on many premiuim category guitars, but it's my favourite. Very good sustain and basses are in the guitar. With the original pickups, the guitar had great, vintage Les Paul sound /reminds me the old Gibsons/. With the new pickups, it received aggressive hi and mids, so it became a real massive metal instrument /I'm using it drop "A"/.

Simple. Very traditional design meets new contours. Classic design and modern style. Or is it classic style with modern design? Both. The Bolero has what it takes for every situation. From jazz to blues to rock to metal, the Bolero does it well. With a mix of dynamic colors, it looks as amazing as it sounds. It's iconic. It's versatile. It's classy. It's aggressive. It's stunning. And it's timeless.

The guitar is built massive, strong, and with timeless design. The original pickups are noisless too. And it's beautiful as hell! Mine is white!

It's not a lightweight guitar, like my LTD-EC, but not as heavy as an Epiphone or PRS. It's comfortable to wear, it's not top-heavy, my opinion this is a very ergonomic guitar.

My Bolero Calavera is my favourite guitar, I think I don't need better than this. This is actually real love! :) If I were the manufacturer, i would build the Calavera /which is strongly metal designed, with this lovely skulls/ with brutal Active pickups.

str8mate
    I love my 2010 gloss black standard dbz bolero. I got it in mint condition about 6 months ago off eBay. The pickups sounds unique and can't quite make up my mind to change them out. I'm addicted to upgrading guitars!! Ive got about 13 guitars and it is only one of two that I haven't messed with. It's ironic because the only other guitar of mine I haven't messed with is my gloss black, with abalone, DBZ Cavallo Flying V. That is truly a beautiful, rock solid guitar. I was definitely thinking about putting DiMarzio super distortions or something down those lines in the cavallo. If anyone has changed the pickups in a Cavallo let me know how it sounded and what you put in it. If you are thinking about getting a DBZ I would get the older model as they are less money it seems. I think the new ones by diamond are just "fancier finishes" for more money. Besides, wouldn't you want a DBZ made during the era when Dean Zelinsky was with the company?? I think that puts more of a collectors value on it in the future. Zelinski did not like to cut corners on much. Scrape binding, Grover tuners, great frets, no buzz, push-pull coil tap, sexy as hell headstock, made in Korea, one solid guitar. Let me know about that pick up change if you have done it! Peace