350 Custom F review by Dean

Dean: 350 Custom F

Purchased from: Wayne's World

I play quite a few music styles (mostly grunge, punk, blues, and metal) and this guitar suits each perfectly. I use a Peavy 15 watt modeling amp with a weeping Demon wah (ibanez) at home so I can make a wide array of crazy sounds from crazy distorion to alien lazer guns. I haven't got to use it at band practice yet, but mysetup there is an electa 5-channel head with Peavey speakers and a black coffee distortion (danelectro or dunlop?). The guitar itself has a nice full sound with nice bright leads and a thick low end. Very nice :D

As I've mentioed before, this guitar is perfect for my style of playing. It's a beautiful instrument, with beautiful tone. It's my first guitar with a whammy bar and, despite it being a pain in my balls to tune, it's very well worth the aches in your back for the half hour you put into tuning it. If it was stolen, I'd be royally pissed and work my ass off to either get it back or buy a new one. The only thing I wish it had was an extra volume knob for the other pickup so I can do those tom morello style noises but either way, I love the guitar. Over my 3 years of playing, I've stuck closely to Ibanez guitars but now I'm thinking about looking into Dean a bit more.

I haven't done anything live with it yet, but I'm more than sure it could take the challenge, the hardware sounds pretty stable, though I would trust the strap buttons more if they were strap locks. The finish, by nature, has a tendency to show any kinds of finger smudges so I advise you to carry a smooth dishrag to wipe it down every couple of days.

When I first got it, there were a few problems (more than likely from idiots in the shop who tortured the poor thing); the nut that holds the cables in was loose, my A and G strings weren't secured tightly enough into the bridge so that took an hour to identify, fix, and retune. The finish is a transparent blue over flamed maple. The finish could be a little bit more transparent so that the maple can be seen easier. On top of all that, there was a small, almost invisible ding on the one horn and near the bridge, but other than that, everything was in great shape.

I'm not too sure of the year, but I'm pretty sure it's a relativley new model considering I've never seen a review for it. Made in China but inspected and adjusted in the U.S. 24 frets with pearl inlays across a 25.5 inch rosewood fingerboard. The body is a start style with a transparent flamed maple top with basswood. It has a Floyd Rose locking tremelo unit, 2 passive humbuckers (with coil tap), 3-way selector switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and grover tuners.

derpdragon
    sewoo55 wrote: so basically this is a schecter copy..... dean should just stick to pointy shapes
    Yeah because coil taps never existed before schecter. As well I guess innovation should just be ignored in any company, who wants better new things? As for the actual review not to bad, but the score is a bit to high for sound, I've played the guitar myself and when you play it through a good amp it's not 10 worthy, maybe 7. Than again its all opinion.
    r0ckth3d34n
    I suppose Schecter didn't copy Jackson or Ibanez with the superstrat shape. I suppose those companies didn't copy Fender for the original idea, either. Funny. I've never heard of one of these. Were these replaced by the Vendetta's or are there other models?
    !-twisty-!
    Braxton12 wrote: I would just pay the extra for the better Schecter, which has active EMG humbuckers a mohogany body and a coil tap. Not to mention looks nicer, sounds better, is more reliable, and is completely a better guitar.
    Not forgetting to mention it being at least twice the price with those specs?
    Braxton12
    12jfrey
    @ derpdragon: i'm easily impressed lol @ r0ckth3d34n: idk kno to be honest, i didn't see any reviews for it anywhere, so as far as i know, this is the only review for it
    jrowen368
    I bought one of these last year on ebay. Never buy a guitar without hearing it!!! It looks great, floyd plays well, medium frets which are kinda cheesy. I was not happy with the pickups. I put a duncan tb4 in the bridge and it gave it "some" life. It is just not a metal sounding guitar. I play through a 75w line 6. I added a super overdrive to try and beef up the sound. My jackson pounds this thing as far as tone. I'm gonna trade the dean in for another Jackson. 4 months of wasted time.
    sewoo55