350 Custom F review by Dean

Dean: 350 Custom F

Purchased from: Pro Solo Music

I am a guitar Teacher and a session guitarist and I bought this guitar even though I own many to be a workhorse that I'm not constantly worrying about damaging! I teach and play anything in the syles of Dream Theatre/Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/Foo Fighters/Metalica etc to anything like; Hendrix/SRV/John Mayer/Pat Metheny etc. This guitar is great in feel and apearance even though it is not the most expensive guitar I own. I am confident that it is a reliable, great sounding guitar which keeps in tune with no problem even with extreme wanging! It is bright acousticaly which means it packs plenty of tone when plugged in. I use a Laney VC30 Twin 12" and various effects but also use a Pod XT Live. This Guitar sounds great no matter what I use it with live or in the studio.

I've checked out the Dean website and there are other finishes that this guitar comes in. I would buy another Dean Custom 350 Floyd without hesitation and would highly recomend that weather you are a beginer or a pro, this guitar is worth trying out. I just hope I get paid a large ammount of money by Dean for this review!

I believe this guitar will last me for quite some time and I intend to use it exhaustively! I own a Fender USA Deluxe Strat, Ibanez Jem 7V WH, Ibanez RGT42, Parker Nightfly, Burns Brian May, Fender Mexican Reverse strat, and a Yamaha Pacifica 604. This Dean guitar is as good as any of the above and I'm actually enjoying playing it more than the Ibanez Jem! I will be gigging this guitar for certain and in case you didn't know - I love it!

The guitar was set up with no problems when I bought it. The action is low enough with a smooth feel when playing which is good enough for sweeping/tapping/speed picking/leggato styles, yet high enough to get your fingers behind those bends when playing SRV or any kind of Blues Styles! As I mentioned above, the Bookmatched Flame Maple Top is Perfect and I can't believe how high the build quality of this guitar is for the low price tag.

I think this guitar is a 2010/2011 model? It is made in China although the final setup is done in the US supposedly? It is a 24 Fret Guitar with Medium/Jumbo Frets & the Neck is a 25-1/2" Scale bolt on c shaped maple afair with a rosewood fingerboard. The machineheads are made by Grover and the headstock is a good sized upside down pointy Ibanez type effort! The body is a nice bookmatched flame maple top on a basswood body which is well balanced and comfortable, I'd say it is kind of like a S-Series Ibanez in shape - more rounded than other pointy "super-strat" type guitars. even though the heel is square like a Strat heel as opposed to round on more modern guitars, access is no issue and I kind of like the traditional feel. The finish is Transparent black and is well finished. The Bridge is an Original doublelocking Floyd Rose Special(worth the price of the guitar alone), and like the rest of the hardware, is finished in a cool looking chrome nickel finish. The Pickups(Dean designed)are Passive and are a twin humbucker affair. They sound brilliant and the neck pickup is a bit like a Semour Duncan 59, while the Bridge Pickup is in the vein of a DiMarzio Fred! Normaly on a guitar like this I would swap them for Dimarzio's but they sound tht good I'll keep them! There is a 3-Way selector Switch with the normal Bridge/Brige+Neck/Neck operation, but the tone pot next to the Volume control acts as a coil tap so you can get Bridge single/outer Coils of both Humbuckers/Neck Single. This gutar came with no case or gigbag, but for the price - I'm not complaining.

maximumrocker
    halfj06 wrote: jrowen368 wrote: I bought one of these last year on ebay. Never buy a guitar without hearing it!!! It looks great, floyd plays well, medium frets which are kinda cheesy. I was not happy with the pickups. I put a duncan tb4 in the bridge and it gave it "some" life. It is just not a metal sounding guitar. I play through a 75w line 6. I added a super overdrive to try and beef up the sound. My jackson pounds this thing as far as tone. I'm gonna trade the dean in for another Jackson. 4 months of wasted time. a guy who puts a "super overdrive" pedal on a solid state amp, none the less a modeling one, non the less the worst of them all the line 6 spider (only 75w one i saw) has no room to talk about tone..
    lols
    halfj06
    BlackDeath92
    DUH! Of course a Jackson was superior! What else would you expect when you buy a Chinese made Dean?
    g27dude
    Great guitar for the price. I can't complain. It sounds good enough for me. I only use this guitar for practicing my instructional dvds and whatnot so I never really use it at jam sessions or anything. I recommend it to anyone who's just looking to learn stuff on the guitar. It's not the greatest sounding guitar but it's definitely good enough for practicing random techniques at home
    flemflames
    sewoo55 wrote: dean should just stick to pointy shapes
    Nicely put, so far it seems not many people understand the irony/finesse of your statement.