350 Custom F review by Dean

Dean: 350 Custom F

Purchased from: Dancing Dragon Music

I've been playing for about 12 years and I've honestly always liked Dean guitars. Sound is simply the reason. I like the way the stock pickups in this thing sound. I've heard a lot of people complain about the pickups, but they really do have a nice tone to them. I've got it running through a Roland Cube right now and it sounds good on every channel. On Metal Stack, this thing screams. I switched it to the Acoustic channel w/ coil tap and I was really impressed, it sounds better than many real acoustics. The sound is really versatile, which is what you should expect with a guitar with a coil tap.

I play rock and metal mostly and this guitar is perfect for that - but it's really versatile. I've been playing about 12 years and I'm really picky about my guitars. Of the ones I own, this is my favorite. I love the Floyd Rose, I love the coil tap. I'm mad that the screws in the back are crooked as hell, but I was still able to get the height and action perfect, so I guess that's not too big of a deal. I'd say this has by far the most features to price ratio of any guitar out there right now. Overall, very nice guitar. For $200 new, can't beat it.

I'd say it's pretty reliable. It feels as good as my Schecter. The whole thing is light but feels solid. Strap buttons are one tight, hardware is good quality. I'd probably bring a backup to a show, but I'm paranoid. I'd bring a backup even if I was playing a $1000 guitar. The last thing you want is to get excited and break a string on a Floyd with no backup.

The pickups were adjusted well from the factory, but the rest of it required some set up - not a big deal though. I wouldn't have kept the stock strings on it anyway, they were junk. First thing I did was change to some Ernie Ball Slinky's. I had a little trouble though with the plate the springs attach to. I switched to a higher gauge string than what came on it, so I needed to increase the spring tension. But when I was adjusting the screws, they swiveled pretty bad. They were in crooked. This made adjustment pretty annoying. The screws should have been in straight and even. Other than that, the rest of the guitar was in perfect shape - no real issues.

This guitar really has a lot of features for the price. It's got a Floyd Rose special, coil tap, and the basics (volume, tone, 3 way switch). The next best alternative I found with those features was about twice what I paid. The hardware on mine is black nickel, which looks amazing. Other stuff: 24 fret, rosewood fingerboard, dual humbuckers, flame maple top, basswood body, bolt-on maple neck.

jrowen368
    [quote]maximumrocker wrote: halfj06 wrote: jrowen368 wrote: I bought one of these last year on ebay. Never buy a guitar without hearing it!!! It looks great, floyd plays well, medium frets which are kinda cheesy. I was not happy with the pickups. I put a duncan tb4 in the bridge and it gave it "some" life. It is just not a metal sounding guitar. I play through a 75w line 6. I added a super overdrive to try and beef up the sound. My jackson pounds this thing as far as tone. I'm gonna trade the dean in for another Jackson. 4 months of wasted time. a guy who puts a "super overdrive" pedal on a solid state amp, none the less a modeling one, non the less the worst of them all the line 6 spider (only 75w one i saw) has no room to talk about tone.. The od pedal is for a volume boost, it doesn't drive a solid state amp.I'm superised you didn't know that or post in your response.
    shecter guy
    I've played a few cheaper deans, and they were actually really nice, minus pickups and maybe tuners. Easy to play, decent guitars that can be found cheap. I'll probably get one to mod eventually.
    darkfyzer12
    the sound is a bit stuffy this guitar only has one tone knob and it goes upp and down and the two emg 81 85 that i want are equal to 4 knobs its possible to instal that in this guitar?