Avalanche Ultra 7 review by Dean

Dean: Avalanche Ultra 7

Seeing as this is a seven string most people will think that it's only for metal, but most people are close minded. This guitar can play a handfull of different guitar styles like rock, blues, hard rock, jazz, and many others. The 3-way switch offers many different sounds from bright to a more mid range sound. You can easly go from a clean full sound with the neck pickup and with the kick of your od/dist. go into a searing lead that will snap your neck without hesitation.

This guitar has impresed me well. For being a cheap used guitar it isnt that bad. I mainly picked it up to see how I would like a 7 string and I haven't sold it yet so that must tell you something. It does suit the stereotypical metal nonsence but it can do much more than most people think.

Besides the Floyd Rose problem (ageing fault) this guitar plays well. After blocking ther trem I have no problems using it. I also realy like the grover tuners that are on this beast. This guitar has never realy let me down once I got it set up and blocked the trem, so I can realy depend on this as one of my main guitars. The finish has suprizeingly held up well, there are only a few scratches on the finish from my own doing when scaloping the fretboard, I do plan to change the finish of the guitar though. The grayish color just dosent do it for me.

Seeing as this guitar was used I set it up myself 'cause I did not like how the prev. owner had it set up, I set it up to my likeing. I wish I was able to adjust the pickups but your not able to seeing as they are directly mounted to the body, they were a little too high for my likeing, hopefully I'll be able to change this problem when I get new pickups for it. I did have problems with the licensed Floyd Rose but that is to be expected with a guitar that is nearly 10 years old. The knife edges on the trem were worn down. The lower horn is a little tight fitting to my hands but I also have larger hands so this might not be a problem for most people. Besides that there isnt realy anything I don't like about the guitar.

Things are nice and simple here: master tone and volume, a 3-way lever switch and through-body stringing. The latter is one of the oldest methods of retaining string stability, check out that Fender Tele some time, but here it allows the strings themselves to have a tighter tension as there's more actual wire present.

DagMX
    fo you have the regular avalanche 7 or the ultra? because you mention string through body, but then you say it has a floyd. the regular hardtail version of the guitar has string-through like a tele, but the floyd version of course doesn't due to the nature of floyds
    GuitarFreak1387
    to mjbmjbmjb123, yes it is a dean, i have it i would know. to dagmx, acualy the first part of the review was changed by people running the site after i posted my review. i have the ultra 7, sorry for the problems (not my doing)
    richard_edwards
    Multiplayerjon
    MooshMooshMarc
    Multiplayerjon wrote: richard_edwards wrote: i had one of these, was a very bad guitar. but, i bought it for 25 ($50) and sold it for 140 ($280)!! lol Noice I wish i could do that with my dean... I would say that all deans suck except for the razorbacks or the Dimebag or a good flying V... Done said
    no, just the cheap deans suck
    nathanhimmerich
    i retort...the evo series at roughly $300 are pretty damn nice. i have an evo noir s3, and its worked amazingly for forever. the sound is bit typical, doesnt stand out, but is good nonetheless. and it feels great.
    Glenn Guitar
    im getting one of these and to be honest, it plays pretty well. better then my aria, + its my 1st 7 string and i cant afford a razorback 7. this is a good guitar for the budget, but after a few months after i build up some cash i might slap in some dimarzios to make it more stronger sounding, not that these pickups are weak.
    theyoa01
    I was looking for a good (yet cheap) 7-string, and I think I found it. Granted, I would much rather an Ibanez or a Schecter, but this looks really good. Of course, the last Dean I got (a Vcoustic) was kind of crappy, to say the least. I am a bit timid, but I think it is good.
    blacksickened
    buy an Agile if you want a cheap awesome 7 string. theyre amazing and super affordable. theyre also made of great wood and have licensed floyd rose trem systems. check em out and i guarantee you will be impressed. ive got a couple of them and have played many seven strings. i find them to be top of the list. check em out