Avalanche Ultra 7 review by Dean

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Dean: Avalanche Ultra 7

Purchased from: Big Deal Pawn

I play mostly progressive metal and djent. I run this guitar through a MXR Fullbore Metal pedal and a Randall RX120RHS half stack. I play everything from huge clean jazz chords to beefy hi-gain breakdowns on the low end. The low end is a little muddy without the use of the noise gate on the distortion pedal activated.

I have been playing for about 5 years now and I have used this guitar for 4 of them. I have only played 7 strings since. If this guitar were to be lost or stolen I probably would not buy it again because it no longer suits my needs as a player. I intend on getting either a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7 or a Mayones Regius 7 next because they are more suited to my needs. This is a great guitar however if you are just starting out or are making the transition to 7 string guitar.

This guitar is very sturdy and can definitely withstand live playing. The finish on this guitar is very nice. I've had it for about 4 years now and there are only a few scratches in the finish. This guitar is very dependable and I would be willing to go on stage with it without a back up if I had to.

I don't know how this guitar was setup from the factory because I bought it used. The previous owner had the action a little higher than what I'm used to so I had it lowered. The pickups are not adjustable because they are direct mounted. I don't really care for the stock pickups because they are very muddy when using distortion in the low end or if playing chords. I intend on replacing them with either Seymour Duncans (distortion in the bridge and jazz in the neck) or Bareknuckle Painkillers. Also the scale is short for my liking. The low A is too floppy unless you use a really high gauge string. (I use a 64 on the bottom.) Also the guitar is fairly heavy and can become uncomfortable during long shows. I really like the Grover tuners that came with this guitar because I almost never have to worry about going out of tune. Also the 24th fret is difficult to get to because of the cutaway.

This guitar is a 7 string guitar with a 25.5 inch scale. It has a Strat style body, 24 frets, a rosewood fretboard, a bolt-on maple neck, abalone dot inlays, basswood body, Grover tuners, a TOM bridge with a string thru body, a master tone and volume control, and a 3 way blade pickup selector.