Baby ML review by Dean

Dean: Baby ML

Price paid: A$ 450

Purchased from: Guitar Factory

I like metal. Any type, thrash to death metal, I like it. I do attempt to play it (Amon Amarth is fun to play:P). I use a Line6 Spider 3 15watt amp and can get an ok sound from it. A better amp and it sounds great, hooked it up to my mates dads friends amp (he is a guitar tech - 120w amp) and it f--king ripped. Was amazing! The Bridge pickup has lots of treble, the neck a nice melow bass, but on the clean channel they both have to much gain, but the tone knob can fix that. The guitar tech dude said it was f--king perfect, and 4 450 bucks, well worth it. And I can't agree more. The action was set up very well, so no fret buz. Still would pref. Getting better pickups if you want to play live.

f--king Beutiful guitar. I just wish it came with a strap and some better quality pickups. If it where stolen I'd go on a rampage till I got it back. It just looks awesome, its my fav feature on it. I mean f--k, look it up on google images! I bought it over a ESP LTD F-50. I love it.

So far I've had it about a month, at first the strings went out of tune, which is expected, being new strings, after that first 3 days, I've had to tune it about 2-3 times. The strap buttons feel solid, haven't used them yet though, one strap button is on the neck, and so I'm not sure if I can put strap locks in it? I would invest in them if you could though, I have a pair waiting... Might google it. I would play with it live, without a backup (well, you could have one, but my only other guitar is a Bullet Fender tuned drop C with horrible action and single coil p/u's lmao).

As I said, action is perfect. The neck is reallly nice and feels good. The neck pickup wasn't in straight. That was from the shop though, I think. No loose controls, its all in nice and tight. No scratches at all, and it seems to be able to last well, but then again, I'm very carefull not to scratch it, or I'll get pretty pissed. So I tippy toe around with it lol. Being 3/4 size its also VERY light, which I LOVE.

Not sure what year my ML was made but it was made in china. It has 22 frets. I don't know alllll the details on the guitar, I saw it in the shop, looked at it, played it and had to have it. The finish of my baby ML has blue with black (faded with each other) and a large lightning bold starting from above the bridge pickup to the corners of the guitar. IT LOOKS SO AWESOME! Its a dime version of it I guess, its on the headstock... It has a string thru body wish passive Dean pickups. There is a volume knob, that goes down a little, then alot all of a sudden, which I don't mind. Also the tone knob ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING, also it changes that sound really well, and sounds sweeet. Both pickups are humbucking. Non locking tuners. This came with a bag (soft), no strap.

Arunasva
    DOES THIS GUITAR HAVE JUMBO FRETS? I WANNA KNOW COS I CANNOT PLAY JUMBO FRETS.
    mega_frog0
    I love the idea of this guitar. I tried one out, and I loved it. It is so light and comfortable. People seem to misinterperate it because it says 3/4 size, but that only applies to the body. The neck is a standard 24.75 scale, so there is nothing baby about it except the body. It is not a childs guitar, and I would certainly pick one over a regular ML. But that is mostly because there isn't a lot to me. And I think it is great value as well. Between 150-200, it is certainly worth considering at the least. And I really like Basswood. It has a good tone to it, and in my opinion, it is a really well chosen wood for this guitar. I have an Ibanez GRG250DX, that is basswood. And the sustain on both my Ibanez and the Dean Baby ML was really good. And I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a project guitar as well. I just wish this Dean came with a trem option
    Ashleh
    LOOOVE MY DEAN BABY! I'm a short and small framed girl. This guitar is perfect for me; it's the perfect size, it's not too heavy, and it sounds AMAZING! I bought mine used and the guy who had it before me loved it too. He took great care of it and even souped the sound up a little more! It even fits my personality... little, but mean!
    Metalhead-19
    yh i have it..ur right its awsom n totally worth each penny..but i got it 300 dollars..with a bag and a strap..although the strap sucked so i bought a new 1..... .....i use a cort flex wave with a paddle..dun remember whts the name of the paddle.....
    pibestone79
    I have a baby ML long time ago, the only modification that I made was to put the two DiMarzio Evolution (neck, bridge) and it sounds much better than before, it makes a difference in the sound! ! !
    plissken99
    I found the Dime version of this guitar in a local pawn shop with lightning pattern for only $99, in perfect condition, by far the best deal I've ever gotten on a guitar! At that price I was planning to change the pickups(probably Bill Lawrence Dimebuckers), however they have a really great sound, very satisfyingly deep chun-chun-chun. Of the 7 guitars I own, this is one if the only 2 I'm gonna leave stock.