Baby V review by Dean

Dean: Baby V

Purchased from: Back Alley Music, Chester

I play mainly hard rock and metal, aswell as some punk on the sides. This guitar delivers for all. However when showing it to a friend I discovered that if you use the bridge pickup on about tone 4 it gives you a nice bluesy sound. I am running it through a bog Standard 15 watt practice amp so I can't really put too many different sounds but it does sound amazing.

This guitar fits my style perfectly. I have been playing for about 4-5 years now and I only on my previously mentioned Aria Strat copy. This guitar is a much higher quality. I knew I was getting a good guitar when I decided on a Dean but for the price I got it was unbelivable. These guitars are cheap and brilliant quality. I would reccommend them to beginners and intermediate players and they would make a great backup at a gig for any level guitarist.

I'm sure this guitar will withstand live playing and the hardware is well built and, if needs be, I can replace the pickups. The strap buttons are well put on and I also tightened them up. I wouldn't use it live without a backup but that isn't because of the guitar itself and more a worry about my clumsiness. However I will always play live with my good old reliable Aria Strat copy somewhere easy to get. THe finish is good and will last and its only matte black so it shouldn't fade too much. All in all it is a nice, solid, well built dependable guitar.

The guitar came a bit roughed up(loose tuners, slightly loose neck) but it wasn't anything my dads toolbox couldn't fix. HOWEVER, my one problem was the jack. It was so loose. I played for a few minutes and it came out. Now I know a guitar from a shop will have had a lot of use with minimum upkeep but still. Anyway after a long search for a black nut on an untidy bedroom floor this problem was fixed. Other than that it was well built.

I was given this guitar as a birthday gift a few months ago. I have yet to gig with this but when I am practicing it works fine. It has 22 frets, neck-thru construction, non-locking Standard tunomatic tuners but what really impresses me is the quality of the 2 Dean Humbuckers. Mine has a solid black finish but they come in black(like mine), copper and metallic purple. It has a v shaped body but it is reduced size. However it has a full scale neck, this can make it look very disproportionate but it doesn't bother me. It has a string-thru bridge and a single tone and volume dial. A three way selector for the pickups is also included. It has a bridge and neck pickup, so nothing too fancy. No accessories were included.

MT in Austin
    IYanoplathizoI
    What? You are essentialy saying that it is impossible to be happy with a guitar unl;ess its stupidly '$$$$', as you put it. What a load of shite.
    krvolok
    sewoo55
    HoddiDarko
    Bezza27
    HoddiDarko wrote: Neck thru? Really? But what Sewoo55 said is something that way to few people here understand.
    Sorry. I am the reviewer I meant bolt on. I just typoed epicly
    krvolok
    MT in Austin wrote: krvolok wrote: Look let's be real this guitar is kinda nice for a back up,it's a 3/4 scale unless I'm wrong so it's also a beginner's guitar.So again let's be real and say it's an even six. 3/4 sized body. Full 24-3/4 scale neck. Not a kid's guitar just a smaller body. I imagine many guitarists appreciate the reduced weight. I've played one that was properly set-up and it was excellent considering the price. I would have swapped the pickups for something with more bite, if it were mine. The guitar does have much of what I look for in a gigging guitar: Simple Controls out of the way Eye catching design
    Jsteele1408
    krvolok wrote: The smaller scale would be helpful for beginners because the weight,it's just easier to maneuver with a 3/4 guitar.Try giving them something like my rr1 and they would give up playing in a week.
    Haha or you could give them my 27" Agile and watch their fingers literally break off.
    seemeel
    blacktoothRev
    I actually have a baby-v and it a pretty good guitar. i would'nt go as far as saying that it is a gigging guitar, but it does make for a good practice guitar,Especially if your in a cramped area. Also as MT in Austin said i would change the pickups. I also moved the strap peg from the tip to the opposite of the jack so the guitar wouldnt move as much.
    jolly_26
    seemeel wrote: sewoo55 wrote: the ratings on this guitar are PROPORTIONATE to the price of the guitar..... if a 6000 dollar guitar sounds like a 2000 dollar guitar, i would give that guitar a bad rating. same situation here. it only costs 159 pounds but the reviewer thought it sounds way better than your standard 159 pound guitar NO. This is wrong. If you want a 9/10 guitar, you need to pay $$$$. Take a Ferrari versus a Honda. Hondas are nice, comfortable, safe, etc, and they are quite reasonably priced. Ferraris cost $$$$$ and don't even have all the same features as a Honda, yet they're a far superior car. This is what these reviews should be like. A Squier is like a 4/10 guitar. A Gibson Les Paul is a 9/10 guitar. If you can get a Squier that plays and sounds like a Gibson LP, then you're extremely lucky, and you should rate that Squier appropriately. But if it sounds like a Squier, and you just like it, then the review should reflect that. Long story short - the vast majority of reviews on this site are silly, biased, poorly-written fanboy wank-jobs.
    Not even close to true. The reviews clearly outline the price, and the review is against the price. A 9/10 means its a pretty good guitar for 159. A Gibson LP could score a 4/10 for a bad setup even if it was set up BETTER than this; you would expect perfection for the money. If this gat scored a 4/10 or something, it would be a shite guitar compared to other guitars IN THIS RANGE. Get it?