Black Gold ML review by Dean

Dean: Black Gold ML

Purchased from: Japan

I recently changed the pickups to a Seymour Duncan 59(n) and a DiMarzio X2N(b) and I use it through a Line 6 spider 3 150 watts amp. I occasionally use a Boss Metal Zone pedal for jamming when there is a mixer present and with the new modifications it sounds exactly like chuck schuldiner. And when you Switch to the neck pickup you instantly have a beautiful Gus G solo, shred, and sweep sound. With a fixed bridge it doesn't make as many sounds as I want it to but after the mods it is by far one of the best guitars I've ever played.

Made 2006 in Korea. It has 22 frets and a thin nice neck. Flame maple top and mahogany body/neck. It has a nice transparent black kinda finish. It's a ML body, not a dime sign though but he uses the ML's. It's Tun-O-Matic bridge and passive electronics, 3-way selector amd 3 volume knobs. The pickup's are Dean stock gold pickup and the tuners are Grover. No incleded accessories. I've been playing for around 5 years now and I already own a Jackson custom dinky, an ESP EX400bd, a B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum Pro, Razorback Explosion, and an Ibanez RG2507 Prestige. This guitar kicks the crap out of all of them with the mods I made to it. Yes I would buy it and work on it all over again if it got stolen I would castrate the person who stole it with a wooden cooking spoon. I chose it because it looked absolutely spectacular with the matching headstock and the shape. I love everything about it except the crappy stock pickups. This guitar is a dream to customize. I've replaced the pickups to Seymour Duncan 59(n) DiMarzio X$2N(b), Sprezel tuners, Gotoh bridge, DiMarzio electronics and knobs and added a coil tap on it.

Yes this guitar willwhitstand live playing for all of eternity, I have banged it here and there and to my surprise I never found a single dent, scratch, or bump in it. The hardware I'm not too sure of but I can tell you that it takes around only $100 at the most to replace the electronics to DiMarzio like I did (pickup selector, volume pots, and knobs). And if you do that then it's perfect. Yes I would use this guitar to pick fights without any backup, and even if I did need a backup guitar I would buy the same thing. No the finish hasn't changed a bit even according to the amount of abuse I give it.

When I got it from the factory it was ready to pickup and play perfect settings on it but I adjusted the action very slightly to suit my prefference but over all it was very well set up. The guitar had no flaws what so ever but the gold volume and tone knobs loose their color after a while due to sweaty palms. Excellent wood quality, no flaws whatsoever.

Made 2007 in Korea. It has 22 frets and a thin nice neck. Flame maple top and mahogany body/neck. It has a nice transparent black kinda finish. It's a Z body. It's Tune-O-Matic bridge and passive electronics, 3-way selector amd 3 volume knobs. The pickup's are Dean stock gold pickup and the tuners are Grover. No incleded accessories.

munkyRobb
    Features: Made 2007 in Korea. Impression: Made 2006 in Korea. which year was it?! lol excellent guitar
    Deece
    I intend to get my hands on a Z Black gold. Sounds like an awesome guitar.
    govertgoed
    i bought this today. traded it for a jackson wich i bought earlier in that store but my jackson had a factory problem misplaced bridges en it was really bad. So i got bad and after alot of tries on guitars i found this one and its perfect and i play metal and the pickups sound good
    GuitarAustin95
    joelguitar15 wrote: is this a good metal guitar eg metallica and megadeth etc?
    Yea probaly is Dean makes metal guitars. Plus Dime played the ML's.
    Megadeth2011
    joelguitar15 wrote: is this a good metal guitar eg metallica and megadeth etc?
    I have Dave's VMNT1, and it's really good for Megadeth.
    paul0461
    deans are amazing i have a razorback explotion and a VMNT1 both awsome
    Hoodoo Child
    On Neptune wrote: Kid Fisto wrote: ohhhhh i think i'm in love.... Same here! i would go out straight away n buy one because i love the look and i love how thin the guitar is as well, but i really really want it with a locking trem n nut. oh well, maybe they will bring one out with one, i can only hope
    the Dean ML Phantom/Noir XT has a locking trem...