CBV 1122 review by Dean

Dean: CBV 1122

I play thrash metal/metal and have it set up to Drop D so playing bands like early Trivium, Lamb Of God, Avenged Sevenfold mainly and the tone from this guitar is a perfect sound. When doing palm muting, even gallop palm muting, the sound doesn't get muddy, it stay's pretty clear. Pinch harmonics are a breeze on it, very responsive aswell. Scalic runs are accurate and clear. Neck pickup is quite possibly the best neck pickup I've heard, distorted or clean with a very nice round, warm tone. Using this guitar with a Roland 60 watt cube and a DigiTech multi effects pedal. Overall, this guitar has a pretty versatile sound with surprisingly good dynamic range.

As mentioned above I play thrash metal/metal mainly on this guitar and it is a good match. Slightly uncomfortable to play as most V's are standing up you have to find the right position but it sits well on your body due to well placed strap buttons. I've been playing for 3 years now and I also own an Ibanez Xiphos which doesn't really come close to this. Would be hard to replace it as it has been discontinued due to corey and matt cancelling their endorsment with Dean guitars. The thing I love about the guitar is the Body shape, which is a real nice modification to the traditional V shape. What I don't like about this guitar is the input jack. Its located at the bottom of the right horn, which is abit of a problem. Favourite feature would have to be the neck of it. V shape neck's are surprisingly comfortable to play with large accessability all over the neck. I compared this to an ESP Eclipse, can't remember the exact model, and a Dean Razorback V 255. I chose this guitar because I am a big fan of Trivium, but also because of the body shape and feel of it. The Body shape is sure to attract attention and the feel is unlike anything I've played. Once it was setup, the action was incredibly smooth, able to transition frets pretty damn easily with no problems. Only thing I wish it had was maybe another colour option, perhaps white with black pinstripes or black with red pinstripes. Overall this has to be a very good investment and would recommend any rare collectors out there to try and get one before they're all gone. Trust me, you won't regret buying it.

I'm not sure if this will withstand Live playing, I'll be testing that in Janruary. Hardware is good quality, ofr and grover tuners, so I'm guessing it will last. Strap buttons are nice and solid although I'll replace them with straplocks once i get the money. I play in 3 tunings, so I'd keep this one for the Drop D stuff. Finish seems fine and long-lasting.

Straight out of the box I was the first to play it in the store. The action was high from about the 12th fret up and the trem was sunk into the body abit but apart from that it was pretty good. I took it home and adjusted the action properly. Pickups were fine. No loose controls/hardware. Slight cosmetic blemish on the righ side of the guitar, the pinstripes are miss-aligned.

First of all the review above me is pretty damn wrong :/ they don't know the specs and clearly havn't played it very much... First off Mine is a korean one. 24 frets. 24.75" scale. V shaped neck, as all the razorback's and most deans are. Trivium T at the 11, 12, 13th fret. Mahogany body. Rosewood fingerboard. Set neck. Nice red paintjob with a double black pinstripe round the edges. Custom body design (we've all seen the pics). Dean Corey Beaulieu "The Ascension" Bridge pickup, active and a Dean "Nostalgia" Neck pickup. Trivium logo in between the pickups. Has an Original Floyd Rose. 1 Volume knob and a 3-way selector. Grover locking tuners. This guitar is surprisingly light aswell, being about half the weight of my xiphos and a good deal lighter than a razorback or razorback V. Came with a free Dean Hardshell Case and some allan keys. Overall was pretty happy with the features.

CrusaderTrivium
    Argh kids, stop shaming me! I'm almost ashamed to be a Trivium fan after reading this crap. No, the tone is not that good, I'd rather have a set of aftermarket Seymour Duncans, and yes I have heard it. Also stop the all 10s.
    Camaro4726
    its not a $500 guitar this was $1200 when they came out, its basically a clearance item now but i really can't see any reason to drop the price, it's got better features than most of the razorbacks