Custom 450 review by Dean

Dean: Custom 450

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: Used on Kijiji

This guitar is an awesome metal machine. The EMG HZ4 stock pickups are really pretty good passive pickups, and I have not changed them out. I run this thru a Peavey Vypyr 30, any and all models and effects, and it has a really nice balanced tone with lots of sustain, due to the mahogany body and neck and the fact the bridge is now blocked. The tone was rather flat and crisp before the blocking. No noise, electronics are quality, as I would expect of a medium high price range guitar. Tone variety combined with the Floyd Rose gives the guitar a fair bit of flexability, but considering it has the EMG's, it is really more suited for the heavy side.

30 year player, and I play a lot of stuff, but most is pretty heavy and this guitar is called on for tunes that have a lot of soloing. 24 frets and a F.R. make it essential, as I generally play hardtails. This is my only tremolo guitar, so it has to be good, and I have no wish to replace it anytime soon. It feels awesome in my hand is just damn fun to play, given size, weight and balance. Given the general rarity of this model, I would slowly kill anyone who trys to part me and this guitar. I would have to spend at least $1000 on an Ibanez to replace it!

The guitar is sturdy, the Floyd Rose as stable as any licensed version that has been blocked and maintained. Finish stands up fine, all hardware is quality as stated. Dependable and fun to play with the Floyd Rose, dive bombs and harmonics sound super and bridge holds tune. Has done a lot of time without being put down on stage, but gigging without a backup is unprofessional, period.

Action is low and clean with the fretwork done. Fit is awesome, nice lean neck and lots of room to shred. Bought used as stated. All stock parts however, and they were quality. Nice to have the EMG's come stock. Finish, paint and details were all just fine.

I believe this model was produced in '04 and '05 in Korea. Features: Color: Metallic Charcoal Arched Figured Maple Top Mahogany Body 25-1/2 Scale Length Grover Tuners Black Hardware 2 EMG HZ4 Pickups Lic. Floyd Rose Locking Tremelo Mahogany Neck Neck Thru Construction Bound Rosewood Fingerboard Abalone Dot Inlay 24 Frets 1 Volume, 1 Tone I got this guitar used, with only a couple tiny chips on the body. Hard shell case included. Floyd Rose needed minor work (and blocking), truss rod needed a tightening, 19th fret buzzed, I dressed and polished it up. For $200 used with case, and just minor work, I got an awesome deal!