Custom Run 3 ML Black Chrome review by Dean

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 5.6 (36 votes)
Dean: Custom Run 3 ML Black Chrome
0

Price paid: $ 1099

Purchased from: The Music Farm

Sound — 10
I play metal. Pantera, Parkway Drive, Killswitch, etc. I also love some lighter stuff form Metallica, Alice In Chains, Deftones, etc. The sound of this thing is insane to say the least. I have had many EMG equipped guitars that all sounded very similar, but the quality of mahogany being used on this guitar must be great. It really sings like no other. The clarity of each note just jumps out, instead of blending together like a lot of guitars I've played. Even under crazy amounts of distortion, de-tuned, it is crystal clear metal mayhem. The pinch harmonics seem to play themselves, and carry for days it seems. And those Dime squeals? Yes, pop that string, tap the harmonic, and drop that arm only to pull it up to screams that sound like demons crying. Insane...

Overall Impression — 10
I play metal and it is perfect. 10 years of playing, 4 years of serious playing. I own more gear than I care to list, but this guitar is a beast. I could only prey to replace this guitar if it were stolen. After I got out of jail of coarse. I can not find a fault in this guitar. I shopped for almost a year before buying this guitar, and I'm glad I did.

Reliability & Durability — 10
I have only had it about a week now, but I can say, it feels like one of the most solid guitars I have played. Time will tell. All of the hardware feels superb, not cheaply made. The finish seems very thick to me, so I think it will be fine for live use...

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
I'm not sure if The Music Farm did a set up on this guitar before they shipped it to me, but it arrived perfect. Super low action, no fret buzz, perfectly level floyd, no truss rod adjustment needed. I can not find a flaw in the finish. I have looked, and looked, not even around the binding, perfect. The paint job is beautiful, high gloss black. The ebony fretboard was top notch, well conditioned, and feels like butter.

Features — 10
Dean Custom Run #3, Black Chrome. Manufactured in 2011 I believe, not sure about the country, it is not labeled in any spot. I have #13 of 100. - Limited Run Only 100 Produced Worldwide - Mahogany Body - 24 3/4" Scale - Set Mahogany V Neck - Ebony Fingerboard - Pearl Dot Inlays - Single Ply White Body/Neck & Headstock Binding - Grover Tuners - Chrome Hardware - Chrome Dean Wing Headstock Logo - Floyd Rose Original Floyd Rose Bridge - EMG 81 & 85 Pickups - EMG Afterburner 20dB Variable Gain Boost - Classic Black Finish with a DCR logo on back of headstock Numbered 1 to 100 - Dean Deluxe Hardshell Case Included

33 comments sorted by best / new / date

    JESSE6965
    Wow!! This place is very cold hearted. English is actually my third language, I'm very sorry to have insulted you.
    jeffmetalhead
    All 10 huh? I don't think so. I think there is more to be said about this guitar when you've actually played this guitar for more than a week.
    cooper1965
    exhalingwilcox wrote: I could only "prey" to replace this guitar if it were stolen. After I got out of jail of "coarse". so, over ten years of playing would most likely make you an adult. yet you make two of the worst grammatical mistakes i've ever seen. maybe you should've put more time into schooling than music.
    You might want to check your own work before criticizing someone else. Like capitalizing the first letter of a sentence, just to mention one. Smooth dude.
    no lolage
    cooper1965 wrote: P.S. I love it when someone who doesn't even own something, comes in and bashes it like they have had it for years, kinda reminds me of BC Rich bashing.
    He didn't actually bash the guitar, just the review and he does produce a valid reason. Producing a review after just one week is slightly absurd, it's more reasonable after a few months of really getting to know every last aspect of the instrument. What's more, reviews that award straight 10's aren't that informative. EVERY instrument has weaknesses or slight flaws, nothing is ever perfect and it helps potential buyers more if they are given an honest point of view that addresses these shortcomings. The 'sound' section irks me somewhat for starters just because I know that EMG's don't produce perfect cleans - how then can a perfect '10' be awarded? A 10 on sound suggests the guitar is perfect - it can create the perfect tone for every genre. This is pretty much impossible for any instrument, much less one with EMGs that's already chosen to specialise, making it more suitable for some sounds but less so for others (check out the natural EQ of EMG 81s and 85s for evidence of this specialisation). And a 10 for reliability after just a week is also a little ridiculous, I feel. Sorry, I'm just trying to point out some issues I had with this review in a constructive way.
    cooper1965
    Your right, I spoke out of turn with no way to delete a comment. Honestly though, who would buy this guitar for its ability to produce a clean tone? I spend roughly 8 hours a day with my guitar, I think alot of people probably spend more than that. I believe I could make an assesment on a guitar after a week of play, but I would have personaly waited longer to write a review, but thats not to say it can't be done.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    to be fair UG's rating system suggests 10 is great, not perfect. although i do agree with you no lolage
    T7E
    exhalingwilcox wrote: I could only "prey" to replace this guitar if it were stolen. After I got out of jail of "coarse". so, over ten years of playing would most likely make you an adult. yet you make two of the worst grammatical mistakes i've ever seen. maybe you should've put more time into schooling than music.
    screw you man.
    JESSE6965
    Hey guys, I am the one who wrote the review. I am sorry, I didn't notice I had said one week until it was too late. There is no way to edit it now. I ment to say one month, and I'm sure there will be flames for that. I was classically trained from a young age, and it is not uncommon for me to spend a minimum of 10 hours, average of 12 hours every day playing. I know I have logged atleast 300 hours of play on this guitar before I wrote the review. I should have been more specific. I do not believe any guitar is perfect by any means. The rating system specified 10 as great, not perfect , and quite frankly I thought it was appropriate to say it was great. Perhaps a bit pre mature in the reliability department, but you can not skip that section, and I have had no issues, so what should I have done? To the other guy about the neck shape, my neck is also a v - c , the c starts around the 12 fret but is very gradual all the way up. If anyone has any questions at all about this guitar , please feel free to send me a message, I will be glad to help in anyway. I will stick around awhile since I went through the trouble to create an account>
    sim_1113
    He probably gave it a 10 since he said that the emgs sounded better on that guitar than most he's played on. He also stated that he played METAL, and obviously EMGs are one of the most popular(and best) high gain distorted pickups.
    JESSE6965
    pokerhappy wrote: Now if only those bands were metal.
    I think Dave Mustaine says it best in an interview on his webpage. "And I think what happened is that so many people began to hide under the moniker of metal that it became so fragmented that there were dozens and dozens of types of metal: heavy metal, speed metal, pop metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, white metal, hey diddle diddle metal, whatever the f--k. And to me, its silliness. If youre really good, then stand up against your entire genre. Dont start sub-sectioning just so that you can be alone in your mediocrity."
    StonedColdCrazy
    -itar though? (edit needed badly) 'Hey guys, heres a dean ml with emgs and I play bluegrass. This guitar sucks for bluegrass. 0/10.' The anti metal snobs make me laugh. Its all music. Get over it. I did lol when you mentioned the squeels though. I can pull them off on any trem guitar I own easily...
    JESSE6965
    Yeah, I din't really say Parkway Drive was heaver, I only said "I like some lighter stuff from Metallica ect." You know, there is just too much hate in the "metal" community. All the arguments about "Oh you dumb-a##, that's not Tinker-Bell metal, its Peter-Pan metal you moron", its ridiculousness. Why can't I just enjoy good a33 metal, without having to label it in some way other than metal? All of us who love heavy music need to stick together. There are already signs of heavy music falling apart, and our youth are more impressed by Justin Bieber, than classics from Iron Maiden, or Black Sabbath, or Slayer. It seems like every teen I see anymore has some subs, and a 3-6 Mafia album in the cd player. My greatest fear is that my kid mat come home from school and say "Dad I want the new Lady Gaga cd".
    cooper1965
    P.S. I love it when someone who doesn't even own something, comes in and bashes it like they have had it for years, kinda reminds me of BC Rich bashing.
    cooper1965
    So you own two sub par imports and you are now an expert? Hahaha, a Razorback 255 is a far cry from the custom run ml. But whatever, you internet warriors are far superior than I. I always thought actually owning a guitar would allow me to know a little bit more about it than you.
    cooper1965
    Great review, I was actually going to write a review for this guitar myself, but could not break away long enough to do so. I bought this guitar when it first came out, number 23. The guitar was introduced July of 2011, I got mine in September. It has been everything you have said and more. This guitar only gets better once you really get into the groove of how it plays, and what it can really do, witch is limitless. They are labeled as "v" necks, but mine is a "v" that tapers to a "c" on the higher frets. Is yours the same?
    GenerationKILL
    i'm tired of all the guitar reviews starting with "I play metal." Give it a rest people, playing metal doesn't make your opinion about a specific guitar any more valid than a standard reviewer. UG should consider a rename to 50 Million Ultimate Metal Snobs and Opinionated Scene Kids Guitar.
    exhalingwilcox
    I could only "prey" to replace this guitar if it were stolen. After I got out of jail of "coarse".
    so, over ten years of playing would most likely make you an adult. yet you make two of the worst grammatical mistakes i've ever seen. maybe you should've put more time into schooling than music.
    jeffmetalhead
    cooper1965 wrote: So you own two sub par imports and you are now an expert? Hahaha, a Razorback 255 is a far cry from the custom run ml. But whatever, you internet warriors are far superior than I. I always thought actually owning a guitar would allow me to know a little bit more about it than you.
    The Razorback maybe a farcry from the custom ML in some respects like quality and place of manufacture, but the basics like pickups, floyd, fret access, the shape sort of, neck profile, knob and imput jack positions, probaly the weight are the same. So i can make a judgement on how it would play, sound, and feel due to owning a simular (not exact) guitar for about 4 years. And you have missed my point AGAIN entirely because i WASN'T bashing the guitar, but i WAS bashing the review because it was so short and uninformative i cannot make a decent judgement on this guitar. And so what if a guitar is an import? Imported guitars doesn't automatically mean they're crap. And your comparison to BC Rich bashing is lame cheap shot. As i do own a BC Rich and i think it's great (read my review for more info). The people who bash B.C Rich are just brand haters which i am not. Now you said this review was great which is a pretty low bar standard, so i can only assume you've never read a decent one and you have never written a review to date going by your profile, which also states you only own a 'Peavy 6505+' and nothing else...so where's your ML and anything else? So here's your task...Write a review like you said you wanted to on your ML as you say you apparently own and know more about it than i do, without any evidence, which is objective and imformative like a review should be without bias. And when you do tell me so i can read it. Please.
    cooper1965
    Honestly, guys like you and others are precisely the reason I won't ever make a contribution as far as a review goes. Everyone thinks they know more about it than you. Everyone is gonna point out some dumb crap like " Omg review sucks, he doesn't mention if it plays country well" ect. ect. Honestly I love my NJdelux V, but I'm afraid to say it here on this lame ass board because of all the holier than thou pricks around here. Do you honestly think anyone can write a review that would please all? On a metal guitar? I highly doubt that. From your own words "The Razorback maybe a farcry from the custom ML in some respects like quality and place of manufacture, ect, but the basics are the same,So i can make a judgement on how it would play" is absolutely redicioulous. There must be a thousand floyded-emg guitars out there, do you believe they all basically play the same? Really? Quality of wood, attention to detail, fret leveling, overall dynamics and build are worth far more than simple components, like pickups, what floyd is on it, pots ect. For you to even assume the necks are the same cracks me up like no other. Ive had my share of razorbacks, import and even a USA rust. I have also had my share of custom shop washburn Dime 3's. I can tell you this ML has a neck profile that resembles the southern cross, not a dean ml, or a usa razorback, or a import dfh. Not that a neck is everything, but its the point that you can't just assume because the components are the same, you know the guitar. Anyway sorry for the long rant, you are entitled to an opinion, god know I have mine. End rant.
    jeffmetalhead
    Well if you think my judgement is 'redicioulous' then grab hold of your balls, have a cup of concrete, man up, and write a review on atleast ONE of your guitars. But it seems you're too much of a coward because someone might make a bad comment on a guitar you love which is pathetic. It seems you would be able to write a good review because you say you've own a number of guitars which to compare different specs to which is a good thing...but you don't...why, because you're afraid. Here an analogy...I know how to fix the energy crisis but i'm too afraid someone might call me a hippy. Pathetic right? I'd like to be proven wrong but i won't hold my breath.
    jeffmetalhead
    Perhaps that's because the guitars i like are not the most popular, hmmm? And it's still more votes than you because you're to scared to write a review to get any votes. And i bet you didn't have only one thought after reading my reviews. It probaly went something like this after alot of straining... 'Hmm, they are good reviews...even the commenters say so, and if i do write one i have a high bar to reach, but i can't let him know that. What to do...Oh i know, i'll say a back-handed complement and give him a sarcastic, halfarse thumbs up because he uses the same strings...yeah that'll show him while completely ignoring my own cowardice, which he pointed out and which i admited too'. If i missed a thought let me know.
    the.jesus.on.si
    I'm always confused when I compare a dean with a bc rich. To me,a Bc Rich always sounds killer while a dean have thrashy tone. If i play arpeggios, a bc rich always serves my tone well and it feels like the guitar is playing itself. But when it comes to dean, it feels like it needs extra-effort to play it. So my favorite guitar brand is ESP. They make all-rounder guitars.
    dragonkidkoga
    GenerationKILL wrote: i'm tired of all the guitar reviews starting with "I play metal." Give it a rest people, playing metal doesn't make your opinion about a specific guitar any more valid than a standard reviewer. UG should consider a rename to 50 Million Ultimate Metal Snobs and Opinionated Scene Kids Guitar.
    they state I play metal because if they didn't it would be like: I play. It's great 10/10 or I play country and this sucks 0/10. Stating I play metal just states that it does well in the genre this guy plays.
    cooper1965
    I did you a favor, and had a look at all four of your reviews. Honestly the only thing I walked away thinking was.... Wow the ML review is sooo pathetic, yet is has more views' votes' than all four of yours combined? Hmm. Grats on atleast a decent string choice. Dr 9-50's are my preference, but thats all the credit I can give you at this time.
    jeffmetalhead
    cooper1965 wrote: P.S. I love it when someone who doesn't even own something, comes in and bashes it like they have had it for years, kinda reminds me of BC Rich bashing.
    Well i do own a Razorback 255 and a B.C.Rich Jr V Icon so i think i have some idea of what i'm talking about.
    no lolage wrote: He didn't actually bash the guitar, just the review and he does produce a valid reason. Producing a review after just one week is slightly absurd, it's more reasonable after a few months of really getting to know every last aspect of the instrument. What's more, reviews that award straight 10's aren't that informative. EVERY instrument has weaknesses or slight flaws, nothing is ever perfect and it helps potential buyers more if they are given an honest point of view that addresses these shortcomings. The 'sound' section irks me somewhat for starters just because I know that EMG's don't produce perfect cleans - how then can a perfect '10' be awarded? A 10 on sound suggests the guitar is perfect - it can create the perfect tone for every genre. This is pretty much impossible for any instrument, much less one with EMGs that's already chosen to specialise, making it more suitable for some sounds but less so for others (check out the natural EQ of EMG 81s and 85s for evidence of this specialisation). And a 10 for reliability after just a week is also a little ridiculous, I feel. Sorry, I'm just trying to point out some issues I had with this review in a constructive way.
    That was exactly my point cheers for expanding my point. If anyone is interested in what a good review format should be like just check out my reviews.
    ParkwayCampbell
    What the hell? Have you listened to Parkway? Dafuq.
    ToxicTrace100 wrote: Metallica are heavier than ****ing Parkway drive.
    kristmark1
    Are you sure if it's an Original Floyd, MADE IN GERMANY, not the Korean one? You can check the bottom of the base plate for the "made in Germany stamp".