Dave Mustaine VMNT review by Dean

Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNT

Purchased from: eBay shop

Obviously it's gonna Excel in metal music, particularly thrash metal. I play mainly hard rock (Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith etc) and metal (Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Maiden etc). Whilst this is a versatile guitar, and can play GN'R and Aerosmith pretty well - it's definitely geared towards thrash, but when I bought it I only wanted it for metal - so for that I'm happy. It sounds OK through a clean channel but it's no Fender, but again, that's to be expected. I gave it an 8 because whilst it plays metal very, very well, it isn't as good for other types of music.

As stated earlier I mainly play hard rock and metal, and for the latter this fits perfectly, I've been playing just over three years and my main rig consists of a Marshall AVT, a '78 Custom Badass Distortion Pedal and a Dunlop Crybaby. My main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and whilst it will still remain my main guitar that's only because a Les Paul is alot more suited to my bands music (hard rock), if it were lost or stolen I wouldn't hesitate in buying it again as it's easily one of the best heavy metal guitars I've played - I've also owned a KH-602 and this blows it out of the water. Also, the exclusion of a Floyd Rose was good for me, as I can't stand them!

The guitar will undoubtedly withstand live playing, it'd built like a tank - I'd never gig without a backup but that's because I'm paranoid, the straplocks are Dunlop Flush Mounts, and they're pretty solid although they took some getting used to as I'd never used them before, as my other guitars don't have them. The finish seems like it will last, and won't wear easily. Only time will tell, but those are my initial thoughts.

Guitar was set up perfectly when I got it, action was quite low. The neck is really thin so access to the upper frets is great, also the V shape helps with that. The only flaw I saw with this was there was a tiny ding on the headstock, but it's not even noticeable when you're not specifically looking for it.

The features are: - Mahogany Top/Body - 25-1/2" Scale - Mustaine Spec. Mahogany 'D-Shaped' Bound neck - Ebony fingerboard - Pearl Sharks Tooth Inlay - Grover Tuners - Black Hardware - Tune-O-Matic Bridge - Mustaine Duncan Live Wire Pickups The guitar is a silver finish, but you can also get a black finish. There are also VMNT's with graphics on them but they all sound the same from what I played, this came with a Dean hardcase.

bustapr
    DJ2109 wrote: JaimeLeonel wrote: Does it has a whammy bar? Please answer Dave thinks that anyone who uses a whammy is a talentless joker, I actually heard him say something along those lines in an interview, so thats why he doesn't have them on his guitars.
    Actually, if you look at the Dean roster, dave mustaine has 2 sig guitars with floyds in them, and he used them in jacksons(rude awakening). If he really did say that hes a real fool, since floyds take quite some talent to get used to and are useful for certain things. this guitar is really cool, i want the gears of war model so bad
    blacksunshine13
    Bezza27 wrote: How to have no vocal talent and still have a successful band: Decide on black or death Add pretentious words that mean nothing end up with Neo Classical Progressive satanic blackened symphonic black death metal Sell records get teenage boys to adore your heaviness fail at actual metal.
    you sir are epic win
    LeonidasVath
    as soon as i see 'i run it through a line 6...' i can't help but think.. uuhhhh.. why? anyone else share this thought
    cdsnzeevnaja
    Hells.Mascot wrote: i play downbeat space polka and this guitar disappointed me
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha You sir, win today.
    Vectis624
    Thrash.aholic wrote: Children of Bodom is Blackened Neoclassical Thrashy DeathPower Metal....Lols, I'm so cool guise.
    I approve.
    Bezza27
    Camron62\m/
    love Megadeth, love Dave Mustaine, and just to make everything clear: COB is Melodic Death Metal. they eventually became more Power Metal with some thrash elements. so i guess you can call them Melodic Power Thrash. or Melodic Death Power. Extreme metal. there. still love COB, amazingly bad-ass.
    cooper1965
    With all the mentions of metal sub-generes in this thread, I thought for sure this guitar would be great. Just a warning for anyone thinking of buying this guitar -- it did not play ultra fruit loops metal, or extreme black liquorice metal very well... Just sayin...
    gabriel.lavoie.
    well I'm about to smash this guitar into a metal post very soon. any taker before I destroy this POS to pieces ????
    Megadeth2011
    He said a lot of times, people rely too much on the wahmmy bar, and they forget how to solo well. So to prevent that from happening to him, he stays away from whammy bars. He's got a point. As for COB... who cares what genre they are? They're metal. They are their own genre, like Opeth. They have their own sound that nobody else sounds like. They're good. That's what they are. For the guitars... I own 2. A black VMNT1, and an Angel of Deth VMNT1. They're perfect. They stay in tune, and do anything I need them too.