Dave Mustaine VMNT Rust In Peace review by Dean

Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNT Rust In Peace

Purchased from: Beat Street

This guitar screams metal just looking at it, and it sure as hell delivers a great metal tone. These Live Wires are fantastic sounding pickups. I have only ever played EMG actives before, but these Live Wires are really good alround pick ups. My amp is a Randall RH150G3Plus and a Randall 4x12 cab, but this thing still delivers massive chuck through my Marshall MG250DFX practice amp. The clean tone is very full and sounds great in the neck pickup position, as do leads (very warm).

I am a long time metal fan/player and my other guitars include Razorback, Truckster, Ibanez RG. I still think I like the EMG active pickups a little better but these Live Wires vertainly bring a smile to my face and don't disappoint. This is obviously a guitar for METAL heads. I love my metal and picked this guitar because: A: I am a Dave Mustaine/Megadeth fan from wayback. B: I love the sound of my freinds and had to have one for myself However, the clean tone is really nice and the neck pick up even sounds good playing a little blues as well. But in my opinion, you don't buy one of these to play blues - you buy it to scream metal and this guitar executes this flawlessly. If you have been thinking of getting one of these - JUST DO IT...you wont regret it at all.

I have only had my guitar a couple of weeks, but can tell you it does take some punishment in rehersal. The strap locks are great and this guitar is the first one I have owned with strap locks. If this guitar was stolen, I would definately replace it, no questions asked. It is light enough to not weigh you down and get uncomfortable on your shoulders after standing up with it for 2-3 hours at a time.

The guitar arrived to me here in Australia set up pretty well and in tune, I only had to drop the action a touch for my personal taste. The binding is neat, the nut and bridge pass with flying colours and the paint is well done. I guess the only complaint about my particular guitar was the Dean logo on the headstock looks a little yellow-ish. Awesome paint though on the body as can be expected from Dean. It is well built and is not top-heavy at all.

I have had my eye on one of these for a little over a year now since playing a friends silver VMNT. I finally found one at a great price and made the purchase - and have not looked back, this guitar is frickin awesome. This guitar is a Korean Made 2009 model. -> Mahogany Body -> 25-1/2" Scale -> Mustaine Spec. Mahogany 'D-Shaped' Bound neck -> Ebony fingerboard -> Pearl Sharks Tooth Inlay -> Grover Tuners -> Black Hardware -> Tune-O-Matic Bridge -> Mustaine Duncan Live Wire Pickups It also came with a Dean form-fit hardcase and Dunlop strap locks.

Sparky-MMA
    EpiExplorer wrote: Looks like a NY train carriage covered in graffiti :c
    looks like a Flying V with the Rust In Peace album artwork to me....
    audiopainpdd
    its just the finish on it. u could probably get the same guitar 200 dollars cheaper without the rust in peace design on it
    RndyW0
    SilverRock113 wrote: Is the difference between the grey VMNT and the Angel of Deth and Rust In Peace just the artwork?
    Yeah man, they're all as badass as the next just look different
    ProgJazzMath
    elleild wrote: I would pay for not having that guitar.
    AraGuitar
    I'm not a fan of the signature guitar idea either, but that seems like an amazing price to pay for one of these. Is it in USD?
    Van Hellion
    This guitar is ****in awesome, its loud and very clean at the same, I do powerfull harmonics with my Marshall AVT 150 H, and a boss gt 10, its very very comfortable to play. Making a comparision with my new Jackson KV2, the only thing that made a real difference is the floyd rose, only that
    RR3tran
    M3AK wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: elleild wrote: I would pay for not having that guitar. Dude, c'mon. That sick artwork isn't well worth the 900 dollar price tag? You're kidding me! Dude, you think its worth that much more just for this guitar with album art on it? Your an idiot! It's about the way it plays and sounds not the way it looks.
    It's likely to appreciate in value over the years. And if you check the specs, you'd see that they're really no better or worse than guitars in that price range. You should really start seeing guitars as more than instruments. They're also works of art, technological innovations, and even historical pieces.
    M3AK
    rtsMARK
    Thanks guys, I have since registered since doing this review. I can understand these guitars aren't everyones cup of tea but i absolutely love it, and i can't put it down. The price is $849 USD but the oz dollar is basically 1 for 1 at the moment anyway. 'thegreasefire' hit the nail on the head - i bought it because i am a Mustaine fan and thought it would look great in my collection - i have no intention of playing my signature guitars live and just really enjoy playing them. Cheers guys.
    RandyRhoadsRick
    I own one and to me it's a freaking beast, got it signed by david ellefson to I really wouldn't even have to think about playing it live, because the answer is yes, ofcourse. it screams for attention and that i what you would get while playing live with this guitar. it has an amazing amount of power and its fast as hell. the rust in peace graphic, love it or hate it. to me it's the best and most beautifull guitar i can ever own, and i own it so its worth every euro or dollar you pay for it
    NiallXoldham
    Hehe, this review made me go down to the local shop when I read it last time, sadly back then, they were not going to be here until August 2011. I went down last week for some strings and low and behold, there it was sitting there staring at me. They'd got it as a trial, some idiot had dropped a screwdriver on it and scuffed the back(douchebag but legend) leading to me purchasing the whole lot for $2000 NZD which its standard price here for the lot is $3000-3500NZD I'm happy as ****. Will throw my own review in 6 months lol
    loinmute
    EpiExplorer wrote: Looks like a NY train carriage covered in graffiti :c
    I lol'z
    tag11219
    i think its good, but its best the gibson les paul supreme but it cost $4.000 and this only $849, so i think this guitar is good
    SilverRock113
    Nicsu
    Lets not get started on the metallica vs. megadeth thing. Waste of time and lack of brain. I have this AWESOME v in gray - and it kick some seriously butt! Very good price for what it delivers. If you cant get the pick of destiny - then get the guitar of deth-stiny! YEAH!
    2Megadeth7
    i have a dave mustaine signature guitar and let me tell you one of the best guitars ive ever had and the best metal sonuding guitar too.
    Menza_
    The VMNT is such a sick V, I personally am not a fan of guitars with graphics so I'd pick one of the natural ones or solid coloured ones before the Rust, Angel, or Gears guitar. But still a pretty bang on review!
    ReasonableRam2
    I really want this VMNT or the Angel of Deth VMNT but I would still settle for the Gears of War VMNT.
    bustapr
    Ne0Assass1n wrote: Is it any different from the Angel of Deth, aside the artwork?
    Yeah the artwork is the only difference, on one the artwork kind of sucks and the other is the most badass looking guitar on the planet. I wouldnt get one because I absolutely hate the cleans on those livewires. I already have a crap ass V guitar, the worst $500 Ive ever spent, uncomfortable shits...
    dean8993
    my angel of deth was imported from the US but i got mine from the music farm and it is exactly the same its beautiful and SCREAMS at you. have fun with it