Dave Mustaine VMNTX review by Dean

Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNTX

I play this guitar for metal, and that's what it does best. While it doesn't give you the authentic Megadeth tone, it does give you a great tone for all types of metal. I used this with a Spider III (Yeah, Yeah, I'm getting a valveking soon), and it still made me feel like a metal master. It has a bright sound to it, and does what it set out to do: Give you a metal tone for under $500.

This guitar gives a nice metal tone for the price, and although the pickups aren't so hot, they get the job done. The guitar looks great, plays great, sounds good, and best of all: It has "Metal" all over it! If you are looking for a metal guitar in the $300 price range, I would definitely recommend it!

Haven't run into any problems with it, but for small gigs, I would use this guitar without worry. Larger, more wild shows will tear this guitar apart however (not literally, but it will be stressful). Dean did a good job making this guitar, and it is better made than most guitars in the price range.

Guitar was in great shape. Pickups were in great shape and were nice and sturdy, action was perfect, Bridge was nice. The neck was well fit into the socket, and the finish was so-so. It was kinda sparkly (on the silver model) and looked pretty dull and plastic-y. Pickups selector Switch was a bit F-d up though, but besides that, the guys at Dean sure know how to make a good cheap guitar.

This guitar rocks for the price! Has a nice fast bolt-on neck much like a Fender Stratocaster. You can really shred on this thing. Guitar has 24 frets, and the 'V' shaped body really let you get great upper fret access and playability. Rosewood fretboad with Standard Dot inlays. String through body with tunomatic bridge. 2 volume/ 1 tone controls, with a 3 way Switch. Stock Dean Humbuckers. Basically, it's what you get for a $300 guitar. With a killer look and lightning fast neck.

Gopher1409
    sambargun
    postmortem2006
    a god
    Delanoir
    sambargun wrote: BTW cheap Deans are quite good and sound brilliant unlike cheap Ibanez's and cheap ESP's. I'm guessing the higher priced version has the SD active pickups(hotrods?) and this has the Dean pickups. Still it looks like a bargain.....
    The high priced version is amazingly different. It has a mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, as well as the SD active "Dave Mustaine Livewire" pickups.
    thrash-it-up
    BlisteringDDj wrote: Never buy cheap Deans!
    CapnKickass
    I saw a few of these sig guitars in the local store, maybe I might try one just for fun. Though this model doesn't seem to have much interesting about it.
    badguitarist13
    the first dean i bought was (and is) still worthy of playing but it seems like it was put together in around 10 minutes. Dean tries hard to put out awesome instruments at all prices but if u want something GREAT pay more. however, when i play it, it still kicks.
    Sudaka
    iant419 wrote: Sudaka wrote: hey, people here gets somewhat angry, isn't it? well, I'm a poor agentinian fellow (Southamerican, *****!) and I have a Yamaha EG-112 that is not... well its ok, but I would like to get a more Metal type guitar... obviously I can't afford a VMNT1, so this review was helpfull, but after reading the comentaries... well, I don't know if I should be saving for this Guitar... anyway, does anyone know or heard about another metal type guitar in this price range that is better? (I would like a metal type model like this flying V, or stuff like that) thanks for anyone who would like to help me! dude i bought the guitar half a year ago. the thing stays in tune after a week of playing no joke!!! ive used my freinds thousand dollar jackson and my 300$ dean is sooooo much better!!!!! he even offered to trade. (he was pissed of that mine was only $300) i said no way. dean makes their guitars great cheap or not. i couldnt tell the difference between the $2000 version and mine when i took it to the rock shop. springfeild, IL buy this guitar it rocks. ive used em all and this one is the best for the price!
    thanks buddy
    niel9802
    so, erm, does this guitar actually stay in tune? for example, lets say i play hangar 18 in its entirety, what will the tuning be like afterwards? will it be f'ed, or will it still be ok? please answer!
    minchew
    its basically a cheaper version of the VMNT1...i wonder if you can get it to sound like the VMNT1 if you put Dave Mustaine signature pick-ups in it? POSTED: 06/04/2008 - 06:20 pm / quote | It would sound nothing alike. The only way they are similar are the body shape. The VMNT1 has a mahogany body vs. basswood, ebony fretboard vs. rosewood, set neck vs bolt-on, and active Dave Mustaine Livewires vs. cheap dean pickups. There is a Huge difference (by the way, not bashing this guitar.)
    Cranker
    Gopher1409 wrote: Go into your local guitar store and ask one of the guitar salesmen to help you. I GUARANTEE you, none of them will recommend a Dean. They suck, just plain suck. I would buy an Epiphone before I even thought of getting a Dean. Especially the Vendetta, I kid you not, it feels like the body is made of partical board... Don't buy a Dean, much less a cheap one.
    You are wrong on every account, This is a great guitar. almost every guitar salesmen recommended this guitar, and for the 300$ price on it, its worth every cent. and every time, ive taken my guitar into a shop, they all comment on how nice it is, and that its such a great deal.
    ralleymonkey
    Hey im interested in buyin one of these i spent almost $1000 on my dean Ml and i need something for drop tuneing so this about fits the description of exactly what i want and need. im not looking for the best i have an awsome guitar. i love the look and for everyone who put positive comments thank you guys u Rock to the rest Cheerz
    GarionB
    I would love the Dean shapes if it werent for the stupid looking headstocks on most of them. Shame.
    Fender Usa
    Wow you sure do fail
    happy strummer
    postmortem2006 wrote: Get the VMNT1 instead. Its might cost twice as much but its ten thousand times better than this piece of crap.
    its a good bit more than twice as much. and i love mine. my friends and i all agree it feels almost like a more expensive jackson king in neck thickness and overall feel. and its a good bit cheaper. i really am not picky with guitars though, although it feels NOTHING like a strat like that guy who reviewed it said. deans are wonderful guitars, and no im not bashing jackson or ibanez.
    iant419
    |\puto_rodas/|
    Ur local store sucks.
    BlisteringDDj
    |\puto_rodas/| wrote: BlisteringDDj wrote: And by the way, my local store has stopped selling them because of all the returns and complaints. Ur local store sucks.
    Well, they had their reasons...
    Sudaka
    MegadethMan16
    BlisteringDDj wrote: thrash-it-up wrote: BlisteringDDj wrote: Never buy cheap Deans! ^what a piece of crap (not the guitar, BlisteringDDJ)^ deans are awesome, no matter weather they are bottom of the scale or top, i have a 250 dime-o-flage and its freakin awesome, so BlisteringDDJ dusnt know shit! After my experience all of the cheap once are not worth the money. I bought a cheap Dean Vendetta 1 two years ago, and after one week I delivered it back. It went out of tune after minutes of soloing, and it needed intonation afterthe second day! In the long run, it would definitely not be worth it, because of all the adjustments and care it needed. I have also tried out some other Deans they have at my local store, and the necks and pickups are horrific! That's my opinion though. Maybe I should've explained why I don't like them in my first post... I bet there are some cheap Deans that are decent, but until I try one I will not recommend a cheap Dean!
    Ya are you drunk!! your the only person in the world that would say that!!! DEANS RULE CHEAP OR NOT!! Dont listen to him
    MegadethMan16
    Beebaboo
    Nothing wrong with basswood. It's not like it was made with agathis or tree bark.
    MooshMooshMarc
    some people have to pay rent. ie. don't have a grand to blow on a guitar
    Spartan101400
    I think I'll just save up for his "Angel of Deth" sig model. It looks more badass than the VMNT1 or even the Gears of War guitar for that matter.
    dorian91
    First, don't swear; it sounds crude. Second, I have played a cheap Dean Strat-o-copy and it went out of tune in about two minutes of playing without any bends. The fret buzz was loud and present whenever the strings were strummed harder than lightly AND the pickups were tinny-sounding. Also, the jack and pots were loose. So some cheap Deans are horrible.