Dave Mustaine VMNTX review by Dean

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reliability & Durability: 9
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 8
  • Features: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8.4 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.3 (86 votes)
Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNTX
1

Price paid: € 359

Purchased from: Beernaert (Kortrijk, Belgium)

Sound — 9
I play metal and rock, and I have to say, the guitar is very good for playing those genres. The sound it produces is stunning! My previous guitar was a random cheap Stratocaster by Richwood, and I hated the sound it made. At first, I thought it was my amp (a cheap 10W Volcano). But as soon as I plugged my VMNTX into it, I knew it was the guitar. As I've said, I have a 10W Volcano (you can only swithc High/Low tones and put it on Overdrive), and a Dinaosaur DME-1 effectbar, with 3 pedals in it: Digital Delay (Short/Long, Feedback, Time, Level), Chorus (Depth, Speed, Level) and Overdrive (Distance, Drive, Tone and Level). Well, it also has a 4th pedal to bypass all effects. The guitar's noice is very clean, so I can recommand it to anyone Who doesn't want to spend too much money on a decent guitar.

Overall Impression — 8
I play metal, Dave Mustaine plays metal, so ofcourse it fits. At this time, I play for 2 years and 10 months or something. Before I bought it, I was informed, I knew nearly everything about the guitar (online, because the guitar dealer never sold a Dean in his life before). If I would lose my guitar, I don't think I would buy this particular model, I think I would buy the more expensive VMNT, because the VMNTX got me convinced about it's quality and the VMTN has just that little extra. I love it's shape, it looks totally badass, and the you can easily reach the 24th fret because if the cut. Also, the guitar has very nice details, some parts are cut away, such as a part of the outer wingpart and the point where the legs meet is also cut away (inwards). I don't know how to explain this, sorry. I compared it (online... ) with other deans, but since I'm a big fan of Megadeth and Dave Mustaine, this one had that advantage. It's my first Dean, but it's certainly not the last one I'll be buying! There's only one downside, and it's the fact that it doesn't have a tremelo, my previous guitar had one, and I enjoyed playing that. But then again, one of my next Dean's will have it. Love and bruises to y'all!

Reliability & Durability — 9
The guitar is very trustworthy to play Live. It has never let me down so far, and that's for nearly a year. The strap buttons are trustworthy as well. Trust me on this one. I would go to a gig with just this guitar, yeah. And as stated above, the marks my table left are invisble at a distance (say 1 meter), the finish will last for ages, as long as you treat it with respect.

Action, Fit & Finish — 8
The guitar has a couple of small mistakes, being a screw that's not exactly 90 inserted, and the pickups being a bit loose. But it doesn't affect it's playability. Something I have to note about the finish, I play near my desk, which is a marble-top table. And sometimes the long "legs" of the guitar hit the corner of it, which leaves a mark.

Features — 8
The guitar was made... I think it was in 2008, because at the time, it was a recent model. It has 24 frets, a maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The body and head are black finish. A sharp V-shape (you can stab people with it.) It has dual Dean design black open humbuckers. There are 3 knobs on it and a 3-way tone selector. The pickups can easily be changed by wider pickups, they've left some open space for it. (Sorry if I don't know all the english terms, I wasn't raised english.) The tuners are Mini Grover 6 in line tuners. All the hardware is black, which makes it look very cool.

29 comments sorted by best / new / date

    britishbanger
    busted_hater wrote: Gopher1409 wrote: Go into your local guitar store and ask one of the guitar salesmen to help you. I GUARANTEE you, none of them will recommend a Dean. They suck, just plain suck. I would buy an Epiphone before I even thought of getting a Dean. Especially the Vendetta, I kid you not, it feels like the body is made of partical board... Don't buy a Dean, much less a cheap one. absolute drivel! i work in a guitar store and they are one of out best sellers , there quality survives through out the range! BUY DEAN!
    That's cos they are cheap shiny. No experienced guitarist would waste their time.
    niel9802
    RyanMetalMatthe wrote: niel9802 wrote: so, erm, does this guitar actually stay in tune? for example, lets say i play hangar 18 in its entirety, what will the tuning be like afterwards? will it be f'ed, or will it still be ok? please answer! I've played mine too hell and back for over a year and never had any tuning problems. It's just the pickups that suck.
    thanks man
    britishbanger
    The finish is tacky and it isnt a patch on the dv8-r or LTD axxion. I would also advise seymour duncans and not the horrible livewire actives. I was lucky enough to get my axxion in 2005 before those horrible things were put in it. The first review was correct about one thing: You can use it to stab people. That's the only use for this
    Taters153
    I have owned this guitar for about a month now. I have to say it is amazing, it stayed in to for the first two weeks even with hard bending and long soloing. The pickups aren't the best but they can easily be replaced. it sounds great and feels like a much more expensive guitar. This is the first Dean that iv owned and i am now a big fan. The only reason i would not recommend it is that it does not support a tremolo bar and if you have enough money for the VMNT1
    UraniYum
    I have two Dean V's, this VMNTX and a MS STD. Both cheap, both make me very very happy. Like the fella said about the rent, i've only ever had godawful guitars due to no money. I have cheap gear, and i don't care, it makes a brilliant sound, and all the rich boys with Gibsons and Marshall stacks are ****ing rubbish anyway. Not saying all of youse hating on the VMNTX are, but i bet one of you is. I would do bad, bad things for a VMNT1, but to be honest, i'll never be able to afford one. If this is the limit for your price range, i'd would reccomend it over most anything. Mine was a also a factory reject, so i got it even cheaper, and i STILL don't care. Puts a huge smile on my face every single time i think of it. And a big thrash metal snarl on my face every time i play it.
    guitarfreak222
    Cranker wrote: Gopher1409 wrote: Go into your local guitar store and ask one of the guitar salesmen to help you. I GUARANTEE you, none of them will recommend a Dean. They suck, just plain suck. I would buy an Epiphone before I even thought of getting a Dean. Especially the Vendetta, I kid you not, it feels like the body is made of partical board... Don't buy a Dean, much less a cheap one. You are wrong on every account, This is a great guitar. almost every guitar salesmen recommended this guitar, and for the 300$ price on it, its worth every cent. and every time, ive taken my guitar into a shop, they all comment on how nice it is, and that its such a great deal.
    Deans suck. I agree with the guy who said that before. They sound horrible! They're bad quality and even the cheap ones are overpriced. I played a few and they seriously sounded really bad. When I was searching for a good quality metal guitar, I immediately tried dean because of the good feedback and they just look so sexy - BAM! I was wrong. - They are horrific! I ended up getting and ESP EX and that was much better.
    MrPizza1992
    ok ive had this guitar for two years and it is absolutely horrible. its good when you first get it but on mine after 3 months the input jack was incredibly loose. ive tightened it multiple times but it keeps coming loose.after 6 months one of the pickups stopped working due to wiring problems. 13 months the neck pickup sunk in. scratches easily and has an overall bad sound i wouldnt recommend it
    MotörHeadFan22
    Personally I fell in love with this guitar when i first saw it on the rack lol, but it plays so smooth in my opinion i love it, just picked it up the other day and its beautiful. Sure the bodies a little big, but its nothing that really brings it down, well at least not for me, but all in all for me a solid 8.5/10 i love it
    zes735
    For everyone who's wondering whether to buy this guitar or not, I suggest only buying it if it's your first guitar. This is an entry level guitar and I do not recommend it. Before people yell at me: 1) I love Dean, and in fact, my favorite/primary guitar comes from them. I play it everyday and am completely satisfied with it; I have no problem with the company what so ever. 2) I own the guitar so I have first hand experience with this. This was also the first guitar I wanted to get but when you don't have any money, $300 is a little too expensive. Upon opening the case, I noticed that the input jack's nut was incredibly loose, so I tightened it with a pair of plyers. I plugged in my cable (which was pretty tough to get in for a reason i'll get to in a moment), and it sounded alright. The first thing I noticed was that there was a lot of static, as if something inside wasn't connected. I was worried, but a few minutes later it went away. While playing, I did a few vibratos and bends. Bending makes the guitar go out of tune everytime; vibratos make it go out of tune very slightly. It sounds alright with distortion, but it's the standard Dean Humbucker; if you didn't know, they're crap. When I was done testing it, I was alright with it, but not too pleased. It sounds exactly like a Dean EVO XM, which the guitar I was trying to replace by buying this one. I tried to take out the input jack but it wouldn't budge. In fact, I use a Snap-Jack cable and I actually pulled it apart...Not supposed to happen. I had to use the plyers again to get the cable out, and I loosened the nut a little so that it wouldn't be so tough to get out. Now the nut is stripped. In short: If you're going to buy your first guitar and you want to play metal, use this. It has 2 volume knobs so you can get that cool killswitch effect, and it's a V. The only reason it's $300 is because it has Mustaine's name on it, otherwise I think it should be worth around $200. If you're an experienced guitar player and you're looking for a new guitar, don't get this. If it IS your first guitar and you're going to be using it for a long time, switch out the pickups (I recommend Zebra Pickups if you want to stick with Dean pickups) and maybe swap out of nut on the input jack. P.S. - For the guy asking about the length of the guitar: It's big. It doesn't fit in either of the padded cases I have. I measured it to be roughly about 38 inches from top to bottom, but that could be wrong because I measured it while it was in my stand.
    metallica_a7x-9
    hey is it for real that the body of this guitar is huge. Onkly body. Could you tell me the length from one of the V side to where the neck is joined I would really apreciated thanks
    fsertojekantrib
    iant419 wrote: Sudaka wrote: hey, people here gets somewhat angry, isn't it? well, I'm a poor agentinian fellow (Southamerican, *****!) and I have a Yamaha EG-112 that is not... well its ok, but I would like to get a more Metal type guitar... obviously I can't afford a VMNT1, so this review was helpfull, but after reading the comentaries... well, I don't know if I should be saving for this Guitar... anyway, does anyone know or heard about another metal type guitar in this price range that is better? (I would like a metal type model like this flying V, or stuff like that) thanks for anyone who would like to help me! dude i bought the guitar half a year ago. the thing stays in tune after a week of playing no joke!!! ive used my freinds thousand dollar jackson and my 300$ dean is sooooo much better!!!!! he even offered to trade. (he was pissed of that mine was only $300) i said no way. dean makes their guitars great cheap or not. i couldnt tell the difference between the $2000 version and mine when i took it to the rock shop. springfeild, IL buy this guitar it rocks. ive used em all and this one is the best for the price!
    OMG, you could have taken him up on that trade and then sell the jackson and get like 2 of those deans!, therefore you failed to epic proportions!
    JY_rules
    I'm curious as to whether the people on here who say cheap Deans suck have ever played this guitar in particular? Just because one or two of them sucked doesn't necessarily mean that they all do. I have very very little money but am wanting a new guitar and I'm wondering if there's anything that's just so bad about this guitar in particular that I shouldn't get it. If so (or maybe if not), are there any extremely better guitars in style similar to this that are in the same price range?
    irving297
    unforunately my local music stores have NONE of the VMNT series to try out so perhaps some good opinions from people? i was gonna get the VMNTX then buy some dave mustaine livewire pickups and get them fitted and then you can get vmnt vinyl inlays of ebay people think this a good idea? cheers
    ItWillDo
    thrash-it-up wrote: BlisteringDDj wrote: Never buy cheap Deans! ^what a piece of crap (not the guitar, BlisteringDDJ)^ deans are awesome, no matter weather they are bottom of the scale or top, i have a 250 dime-o-flage and its freakin awesome, so BlisteringDDJ dusnt know shit!
    No, actually he's right. I own a Dean ML XT Noir, and a Razorback Explosion. I've tested a lot of Deans because our local shop sells tons of em, and I'm not too fond of cheap Deans either. The ML XT is a middle class Dean, and still I'm able to feel exactly where the problems in/on the guitar are situated. The Razorback on the other hand is amazing.
    SOADriff
    BlisteringDDj wrote: Never buy cheap Deans!
    agreed. top end deans kicks some major ass but low end deans just never cut it or have continuous problems.
    MasterExploder0
    I'm thinking of buying one so I can play in alternate tunings (too lazy to bother with my FR) I'll probably swap the pickups with some DiMarzios. Would that make it playable or is there a brand that makes better lower end shite?
    againsteternity
    Well it at least looks awesome and I don't think anyone especially Dave Mustaine play a guitar that sucks
    PopPunkPotHead
    Pointy guitars are scary to play. Every time I play my dean ML, I am so scared I'm going to bang it on something. It's definitely worth making the space to play!
    RyanMetalMatthe
    niel9802 wrote: so, erm, does this guitar actually stay in tune? for example, lets say i play hangar 18 in its entirety, what will the tuning be like afterwards? will it be f'ed, or will it still be ok? please answer!
    I've played mine too hell and back for over a year and never had any tuning problems. It's just the pickups that suck.
    busted_hater
    Gopher1409 wrote: Go into your local guitar store and ask one of the guitar salesmen to help you. I GUARANTEE you, none of them will recommend a Dean. They suck, just plain suck. I would buy an Epiphone before I even thought of getting a Dean. Especially the Vendetta, I kid you not, it feels like the body is made of partical board... Don't buy a Dean, much less a cheap one.
    absolute drivel! i work in a guitar store and they are one of out best sellers, there quality survives through out the range! BUY DEAN!
    RyanMetalMatthe
    First of all... "Legs of the guitar"? They're called "wings". I bought this about a year ago and it's pretty decent for $300. The only think that sucks are the Dean Humbuckers. Those are probably the worst pickups I've ever played and it sounds like a Wal*Mart piece of trash compared to the EMGs in my EX-400 and Explorer. If I can't get the Rust In Peace VMNT, I'll just have LiveWires put it so I can get some use out of it. It's too bad Dave went to Dean... his ESP models were so beyond bad ass. I had the DV8 with LiveWires and it mother****ing RULED.
    Waffles_64
    from my experience cheap Dean's sound awful and feel really tacky, thats my own opinion so dont start crying
    highwayone73
    I work for a Dean dealer and they've always been pretty good about handling customer complaints. Ive gotten to play just about every Mustaine model and honestly the your're better off saving the going with the middle tier, neck-through models. I just don't like Deans bolt-ons but thats purely a personal preference. BTW the Gears and the Angel of Death are two of the baddest looking V's on the market and Dave's Sig pups (Livewires) are awesome.
    stompbox
    BlisteringDDj wrote: Never buy cheap Deans!
    you said it my friend dont buy a cheap dean,dont do what i did i had one hell of a time getting mine to play .i took mine to a repair man and he called dean and gave them hell .i will NEVER buy a dean guitar again.
    guitarfreak222
    dorian91 wrote: thrash-it-up wrote: BlisteringDDj wrote: Never buy cheap Deans! ^what a piece of crap (not the guitar, BlisteringDDJ)^ deans are awesome, no matter weather they are bottom of the scale or top, i have a 250 dime-o-flage and its freakin awesome, so BlisteringDDJ dusnt know shit! First, don't swear; it sounds crude. Second, I have played a cheap Dean Strat-o-copy and it went out of tune in about two minutes of playing without any bends. The fret buzz was loud and present whenever the strings were strummed harder than lightly AND the pickups were tinny-sounding. Also, the jack and pots were loose. So some cheap Deans are horrible.
    Lol, who cares if he swears man? It's his choice and this is ultimate guitar aye? Chiilll.
    BIGHC
    I just picked on of these up. It's not bad. I did run into a problem though...I notice the bridge pickup was too high so I went to lower it and the screw started to come out. Upon inspection the hole routed in the body for the pickup was too small so they bent the ear of the pickup down so it would fit....Some fine quality from China there...well I tried to bend the ear back and it broke off (nice) I used my dremel and made the hole bigger so a pickup would fit and installed Dave's old set up of the jazz and jb duncans. It's not bad but the ESP DV200 (wish I never got rid of it) I had before was a lot better. but for the $200 I paid for it I'm happy with it....