Dave Mustaine VMNTX United Abomination review by Dean

Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNTX United Abomination

Purchased from: gearhounds

This is a surprisingly amazing guitar, the sound was amazing, through my Spider III amp, with my POD 2.0 it sounds awesome, and don't get the thing wrong, it may have a thrash metal album cover look (as it is what it is) but I can play a variety of music Blues, jazz, metal, heavy metal, thrash, speed, death metal. It can do it all, you can't expect it to be perfect though its stock pickups aren't SUPER AMAZING but for 300$ there pretty damn good, better then any other 300-500 Dean or ESP you'll find. Compared to my Dean Razorback, and ESP Ec-50 that I've owned and all the other ones I tried at Tom Lee, and GC this one knocked them outta the park.

I play Thrash, heavy, speed, and death metal mainly, but I do play some classic rock and blues and this guitar fits all of them surprisingly. I've been playing for almost 2 years now, and I currently have a Jackson RR24, POD 2.0, Spider III amp, Xiphos XPT700XH, This guitar, a Dean Razorback, Wah pedals, Distort pedals, Loop pedal, and some other stuff. This guitar was an amazing purchase but seeing as it was a 300$ guitar that I've now pushed aside for my higher end guitar I wouldn't replace it, if it was still one of the only two axes I had I might of replaced it at one point but not anymore, I didn't hate it at all I really liked it, the frets were the perfect size, it was 24 fret, good access, low action, good tone, good for all my genres, and it was just awesome, if your looking into a V I suggest you get a VMNTX it doesnt't have to be the United abomination one, you can just get the other one but this is an awesome V. My old wishes is it was Through neck, better quality wood, and had better pickups but that's pretty much the VMNT series of Dave Mustaines customs haha so you know they already make that.

I've never played live, and the strap buttons suck. But I havint had any paint from the graphic come off yet its pretty damn good, and its not that heavy chunky Dean head so its well balanced. Its a solid axe.

Out of the box the guitar was perfectly setup, .9 gauge strings in standard, of course i switched them although they were brand new and in no need to be changed, I swapped them for power slinky's there were no setup problems at all it was just amazing. The pickups could of been stronger but hey, its a 300$ guitar, they were top notch for the price i payed, you can't expect top dog Duncans or EMGs for that price, the one thing that I really have to note is that the fret access which is important for alot of people was OUTSTANDING, along side its incredibly low Action, for a bolt on neck.

United Aboninations Graphic Mahogany Top/Body 25.5" Scale Dave Mustaine Spec Bolt-on Maple "D-Shaped" Neck Rosewood fretboard Pearl Dot Inlays Dual Dean DMT Design Humbuckers Pickups Black hardware Mini Grover 6 in line tuners Mustaine neck profile I did not get any special things along side this (IE: Case, or tools or anything)

GS LEAD 5
    FAIL. Though I have heard the VMNTX is a pretty good guitar for USD300...
    Amuro Jay
    VMNT1 >>>>> VMNTX. Still a cool concept, though. The Rust In Peace one is better, though, since it's a VMNT1.
    MetalheadforJC
    Whats with all of these kids posting reviews on guitars that get on the front page? Especially when they mostly use spider amps :/
    celticstorm84
    MyUserName777
    Spider amps do suck. I picked up a Fender Super Champ and it beats the living shit out of my Spider III.
    Silord1
    I have a spider 2 and used it for years with no problem... Then I got a 'real' guitar (PRS Tremonti not SE) and it sucked the life out of the awesome guitar! sounded just like my cheap ass LP copy! Changed the amp for blackstar stack - holy cow the difference was amazing
    Spartan101400
    It's not that bad of a guitar, it could be better, I recently upgraded mine by putting a SD JB/59 pickup set. Whole let better.
    Heideck
    Ok, line6 spider are pratice amps that cost less than 200 bucks, it's sure that the sound is not as good as a 1k-2k amps, they are good for pratice only. If he really paid 300$ for this guitar, is a good deal, if you see this guitar under 450$, ou should think of it.
    Years
    koalabacon wrote: TheDill wrote: Tyler Durden : 10 on sound? you are very new to music and the guitar world...Im glad you like it, but NO 300 dollar guitar gets a 10...bottom line, especially playing through a Spider. you obvisouly dont no ur amps because a spider kicks ass with no pedals..blows away alot of other amps..high end amps still needs pedals to get the sound u want..dont need to use pedal with my spider. Youre wrong in so many ways. Spider amps by line six suck because theyre DIGITAL. it doesnt matter what guitar you plug into a spider, they ALL sound the same. Not to mention the sound from digital amps isnt even that good. you have much to learn.
    Ignorance here is unbelievable i own 3 guitars and all 3 sound different in their own ways through my Spider. The Spider is a great amp, for the price and what you get, its amazing. I own a JSX head and its great for jam purposes, but for practice, Line6 wins.
    TheDill
    Galvatron
    What gets me about most of the guitar reviews on this website is how low the price is that people claim to have paid. Are guitars just that much more expensive in Canada? $300 is an amazing deal from my point of view.
    Asterix_13
    While this is an amazing guitar for the money, it doesn't get a 10 in sound. Your other equipment isn't helping much either.
    EpiExplorer
    Lawl, I dont need to say my piece, but I shall anyway! Spider 3 + 200 guitar + a very overenthustiastic buyer = Review fael. Really, its not that you might suck as a player or whatever, its just us being unable to trust your words because of the badness of Spiders.
    ZA58
    300 nice and is that on the guitar supost to be a angle of doom not to sound clesha
    SmittyMan90
    I like how mustaine always tries to follow the latest trend, here by endorsing Dean guitars
    SOADriff
    TheDill wrote:you obvisouly dont no ur amps because a spider kicks ass with no pedals..blows away alot of other amps..high end amps still needs pedals to get the sound u want..dont need to use pedal with my spider.
    Wow. i hate you so much.
    EVH001
    I'm suprised you got this guitar for 300. Even though the currency exchange is different at Musos Corner in Australia this guitar is over $1000 here! 300 sounds like a bargain. And although I'm a Megadeth and DM fan, it seems hard to believe this guitar is a 10 in the sound department knowing it has regular Dean pickups, instead of DM Signature Seymour Duncans.
    36mikeyb36
    "This is a surprisingly amazing guitar, the sound was amazing, through my Spider III amp, with my POD 2.0 it sounds awesome." Tl:dr
    goldenwolf7
    dont go ragging on the amp guys, this isnt the youtube comment board. I have one and i love it, i think it sounds great through tube amps, vox solid states, anything really..... ive tried it on many things (even the spider series) my spider III is okay, but my modeling processor makes the tone along side the guitars great look and feel its not bad, its no 10 or 9 id say a 6-7 because its intermediate but not bad ;
    Ibanezbass4life
    M3AK wrote: You've got two fingers right up Dean and Dave Mustaine's arse hole here man. Seriously I've played this guitar and it sucks. Also, I own a spider. Nothing sounds good through a spider EVER.
    Ignorant douchebag, you're just another Spider-hating *****. Why don't you take those words and shove it up your ass? Maybe spiders aren't the best, but to say that this guitar sucks? are you f*cking kidding me? you know NOTHING about guitars you ignorant f*ck. I happen to own one and it's GREAT! take it from someone who actually OWNS the guitar you stupid *****!
    BornTooLate
    celticstorm84 : Maybe I'm confused but I thought the review was about the guitar...not an amp. Anyways, looks like a decent guitar for the money.
    Couldn't have said it any better. I might add... does a guitar really have to cost an arm and a leg to sound amazing? I know that some artists today that're starting off didn't have that good of a set-up(price nor quality), but the sound they got out of it was immense. A guitar doesn't have to cost a million dollars for it to sound good. An amp doesn't need to be a "purists" tube amp to sound good either. If the person likes the sound of that guitar with their amp then that's fine. Nowhere in this review did the person state that his opinions were the highest in the land. If you don't like it that's fine, but when you go on about how things "suck" or "are better" or any nonsense like that it makes me laugh. In MY OPINION the people that are saying this guitar and this person's amp sucks... well, I think they suck.
    parkouraliberte
    Wow there are so many people biting at this guitar AND the Line 6 Spider....NOTHING sounds good through that amp? Right, you clearly have no clue how to use it. This guitar is fantastic for it's price, besides it isn't what you've got...it's the way that you use it. Keep that in mind.
    M3AK
    JSTER720
    this model sucks compared to daves others. but for those of u douches, spider amps kick ass, the sound i get from my 150 watt is much better then from a piece of shit marshall MG half stack
    Tyler Durden