Deceiver FMF review by Dean

Dean: Deceiver FMF

Purchased from: MB Music

The sound coming from it is good and I have a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 amp which puts out some good tones on its own. I play anything from Aerosmith to Slayer but I bought this guitar mostly for Rock/ Heavy metal and I have 2 other guitars (BC Rich Warlock with Seymour Duncan Invader pickups and a Fender HM Strat with OBL pickups) so I don't really need much from this guitar versatility wise.

If it was stolen I would replace it in an instant and would recommend anyone to get one if they are looking for that style of body shape but not wanting a real Les Paul. What I really like about this guitar is the colour and the neck join which you cannot see, mind you my eyes are not the same anymore but its still a thing of beauty :o)} PS This guitar came fitted with D'Addario strings which was a bonus.

Gigging I think this would be a good guitar but I would always take a spare no matter what guitar I was playing live anyway. The hardware seems pretty robust and as long as I keep it clean I'd hope the guitar keeps its good looks for a long time. I recently bought a good soft cloth made by Dunlop, Dunlop formula 65 cleaner and some GSH Fast Fret which should keep the guitar/strings clean. Mine is kept in its case when not in use but even then its getting covered in dust/beard hair/dandruff etc and on such a nicely finished guitar you can see smear marks where I've touched it so cleanliness is essential.

The setup on this guitar is not as good as I'd have liked for a guitar at this price as there is some fret buzz around the 3rd fret and the action is quite high in my opinion. The guitar is still very playable and easy to bend strings etc. The tremelo is excellent and even after a Session of pretending I was Eddy Van Halen it was still perfectly in tune. The one thing I have found wrong is that the jack socket comes loose so a couple of times I've had to re tighten it but I think some threadlock will sort this out once and for all.

I bought this a wee while ago as I wanted a Dean guitar but since I play everything from Rush to Slayer I didn't want one of the more extravagant shaped beasts. Made in Korea 2010/11 this Deceiver FMF is a Les Paul shaped guitar with a flame maple top and mahogany body and set neck and is transparent Scary Cherry in colour and you can see the nice flame maple through it easy. There are some nice abalone body binding around the edges on the top and a sort of dark grey on the edge which suits the guitar. The mahogany neck has 24 frets with a round C profile and the inlays are of Deans Deceiver style on an ebony fretboard. I have to say the nickel coloured frets are pretty top quality compared to some of the other guitars I have and the neck in general is pretty nice to play. The headstock is nicely shaped and the only unsightly part is there's a bulge where the neck joins the headstock but having seen Trivium drop a Dean guitar live and the head fall off I can see its now there for strength purposes. It has black Grover tuners and a Floyd Rose Original tremelo and locking nut. The pickups are EMG 81 and 85 humbuckers which are active and there is only one volume and one tone control. A 3 way switch in the usual Les Paul place completes the electronics. The guitar finish is amazing and I find myself not wearing tops with zips in case I scratch it (well it is my baby and even my girlfriend is getting a bit jealous !) When I bought this I spent another 70 pounds buying a Dean Solitero case which fits the guitar perfect.

rv_phoenix
    It only looks like a Les Paul, it doesn't sound like one, but it's a great guitar nevertheless. The 9 is well deserved. The review is accurate and full of useful details, showing how well our fellow understands his instruments. This is how a review at the UG should be.
    hippoismentall
    Well if you can elaborate on the differences please do as I sure as hell cant find anything wrong with this guitar apart from not being set up properly and the jack coming loose. The finish is immaculate. I really wonder if it is worth paying the extra 1500 quid just for Made in America.
    Reizei
    i was considering this guitar almsot 2 months ago when i was looking for a new one glad to know which ever i picked would be a good decision, was never a fan of Dean guitars but good review and bit interested for next time
    Heideck
    Dean that aren't made in China are very nice. There is a FREAKING HUGE difference between china Dean's and the one from Korea or USA. Great review btw.
    rv_phoenix
    Well, at 809 quid it doesn't come cheap. We aren't talking about a 60 GBP crap, mass-made on a saipan in China and then marketed under some moniker (gear4music, for instance), but about a very serious axe you can gig on and make records. It doesn't worth paying extra money, unless they bring something in return. This axe is just fantastic, regardless the place it was made in.