Deceiver X review by Dean

Dean: Deceiver X

Price paid: £ 199.99

Purchased from: Muzo (Harrogate)

I mainly play hard rock and thrash metal and as expected this guitar handles this perfectly, with the neck pickup offering great rhythm tone under heavy gain, remaining pretty clear and not getting too muddy. The Bridge pickup obviously has a lot more treble, and offers pretty good tone when soloing highter up the fretboard, and offers that bit more bite when playing some chops. While the Dean has pretty good clean tones, it is certainly no blues machine and so if that's what you're looking for, The Deceiver X probably isn't for you. While this guitar can really scream with gain, the very thin, light body isn't great at holding onto sustain, which is it's main weakness, especiall when played clean.

I've been playing for about three years now and really only bough this guitar to take out. For 200 I'm very happy with what I got, and for playing metal and rock at this price there really isn't much to complain about. I'm probably going to replace the pickups for something a little meatier, but really that's just personnal preference as the ones in it are above average. If this guitar were stolen, yes, I probably would buy another as this is a great little "dies what it says on the tin" guitar.

I've had this guitar for a month or so now, and everything is still working great. The overall build quality is quite high. This is a pretty simple, no nonsense guitar and as such is built pretty sturdily. The finish is pretty resillient and was survived a few knocks. Overall I feel that I could play a gig and not worry about a backup.

While the build quality is high, I think an ape set the Dean up in the factory, as there was considerable fret buzz and it was pretty out of tune. After a good setup, however, The Deceiver played brilliantly and the fret buzz is all but gone.

My Dean Deceiver X is a 2011 model, Les Paul style guitar. It has a mahogany body, maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. The neck has a c-shaped profile, 24-and-a-half inch scale and 24 medium frets. The Deceiver has grover tuners, two DMT (Dean) designed humbuckers, a non-tremello Bridge and one volume and one tone knob with a three-way pickup selector. I have the classic black finish with black nickel hardware.

Cam'sGuitarSolo
    I think for a guitar that price I'm sure i would have a backup guitar, even if the guitar is so well build. The price just indicates that it is a lower-end guitar. It's just what you look for in a guitar, one guitar player Swears by this guitar while others don't. Still, good Review
    EpiExplorer
    I'm not gonna generalize, but do be careful with Deans. They are like origami crafts made of tissue paper if you're unlucky.
    strandeddemon
    I like what they did with the head stock its better then the razor back of dime... cause razor backs head stock is hugeeee
    mlittle14
    I was just interested because you're from the same town as me, assuming this is Harrogate, UK? A friend has a Dean, but I find it to treble-y for my tastes, this looks good for an alright price though.
    amphore
    I have a deceiver who come with the emg 85/81 set and it sound a tyon of bricks but a lot more expensive (~900-1000$ CAD) Ive got the White one and it look A W E S O M E
    bahman1234
    pleace check the Dean Receiver FG i Want To By It... help Me..What About This..???
    bruffy7
    i dont get what peoples problem is, you go onto any review and people are hating on the reviewer for not being a connoissseur of high end guitars, we come here to review guitars, not to review the reviews.