Dime Black Bolt Review

6.8
 4,988
reviews (5) pictures (1) 47 comments vote for this gear:
Dime Black Bolt Reviewed by: Mujibabajaba, on august 05, 2010

Features: I honestly have no idea when mine was made, but it was surely within the past year when I bought it a year and a half ago. It houses 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard. It has a bolt-on Maple neck, connected to a solid Mahogany body. The finish is amazing, its solid black but it has cool lightning bolt graphics, hense the name. Obviously, its in the shape of the classic ML. Fixed bridge with a string-thru body, which makes for great sustain. The electronics are are active. There are three Dime Traction knobs, two volume and one tone and it has a three0way selector. The bridge pickup is a dual blade humbucker and a classic humbucker at the neck position. The humbuckers are the original ones that were on the guitar when I bought it. I was thinking about changing them, but the sound just grew on me. The tuners are black, non-locking Grovers. When I bought this axe, I realized I didn't have a gig bag big enough to fit this goliath so I bought one to fit it. It wasn't included, nothing was. I bought it right off the rack. // 9

Sound: This beast not only suits my style of music, it embodies it. I play mostly metal, a lot of groove and thrash. Thats my serious playing, but if I just feel like fooling around and not doing much of anything important, I'll play anything. I can even play the blues on this guitar and it sounds amazing. The versatility and the range on this guitar is astounding. I run this monster through a Marshall MG30FX. The sounds vary, depending on which pickup you're on obviously. But they're all rich and vibrant no matter what settings I opt on it. This guitar makes all sorts of sounds, you can do basically anything on it except for dive bombs and any other whammy trick simply for the fact that mine doesn't have a trem system. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very well in the factory. Classic ML shape and style, but what sets this beast apart is the custom lightning graphics on the body. The humbucker pickups, as I said before, are amazing and well adjusted. As for any flaws, there were none. Everything is absolutely perfect, to me anyway. Except I did need to have strap locks put one because I put on a strap with no locks and one end came undone and the guitar was about to hit the ground but I caught it. I had the locks put in later that day but other than that its all in excellent condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will absolutely withstand live playing. I've played a few gigs with this beast and the reliability is uncanny. To be honest, I've never played a gig without a backup and I never will because I like the peace of mind that if something happens I have a spare. But I trust this guitar enough that I don't even think about the backup. I go on stage with this guitar, and I leave with the guitar. But in the event of I have no other guitars so I have to do a gig or two without a backup, I'll absolutely play. The hardware will deffinately last, and so will the finish. The great Dimebag couldn't find a reason to not trust his Deans, why should anyone else? // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of thrash and groove metal. Other styles of metal and other genres as well, but mostly those two. This guitar is an excellent match, and like I said before it embodies the essence of what I enjoy playing. This is not a guitar for smaller guys, as it is a rather heavy peice of work but it is just a great guitar. I've been playing for a few years now, and I've owned a Strat and a Jackson Randy Rhoads model. I sold the Strat for 350, and that money I used to buy this Dean. It's worth a lot more than 300 bucks in my opinion. I'm not one to ask a whole bunch of questions. I was taking a look at what they had on the big wall, and this caught my eye. I took it down and started playing it. I noticed it was a Dean so I knew it was going to be a great jam. And like that, it felt natural in my hands. Just to set the record straight, I'd lever lose this guitar. Who can lose something like this? When in public with it, I never let it out of my sight or within arms reach. It getting stolen? Forget about it. But, in a hypothetical situation in which I was ignorant enough to let it get lost or stoen, I would deffinately go buy a new one. I love everything about this guitar, and hate nothing. There was nothing to compare with this, it was almost like love at first jam. There would be nothing I would change about this gutiar, its just totally awesome and I wish it was more popular than it is. // 10

Dime Black Bolt Reviewed by: JaysenStCharles, on february 16, 2016

Purchased from: Amazon Canada Guitar Center

Features: 2007 Dean Dime Signature Black & Blue Hell Bolt Guitar, a crafted build from Indonesia. Tune-o-Matic String Thru Body Bridge. Mahogany body bolted with Canadian Maple "C" Neck, Grover Tuners, Dean DMT Dimebucker Blade bridge pickup, Dean DMT Humbucker neck pickup. A guitar cable and some Allen key wrenches were included in the box. No case. One volume knob dial for the bridge pick up and one volume knob dial for the neck pick up. Both dials are Dime designed. Also, one dual master tone knob dial that is standard Dean designed with one 3-way switch. I found the 14 to 1 Grover tuners really can withstand hard playing and hold tune after several songs performed live, even when the guitar is being rocked around the stage. I like being confident that my instrument is gonna stay in tune no matter if beer, sweat or spit, usually mine, happen to make contact with fans or other bandmembers that this guitar can hold the line. // 8

Sound: Playing a hard rock/thrash metal style, this guitar really stands at the front of the pack, the pack of guitars in my collection that is! This guitar was sealed in its original factory box. So that's Indonesia to Florida, USA then to Vancouver, CAN and finally to my door in Thunder Bay, CAN, on the shores of Lake Superior and just a few miles from the Canada/USA Border crossing located in North Minnesota/Northwestern Ontario. Dean packed the box full of bubble wrap and foam soft sheeting, making sure that the guitar was secure inside the 2 layers of boxes it was delivered in. For all those 1000's of miles the instrument didn't have a scratch on it. It sounds great through my Line 6 Spider III 210 120w amp. It's the Dean DMT Dimebucker Blade pickup that makes all the difference, even though it's not in the same league as the Seymour Duncan Dime Blade pickup it still adds a big benefit to the guitars overall sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was good, no buzzing on the frets and the action was low the way I like it. I was able to buy this 2007 model production year guitar brand new in 2015 as some friends had put old stock in hiding within the warehouse. This model series is nicknamed: Dean Dime Signature "Black & Blue Hell Bolt" Guitar for its blue/white colored lightning bolts graphic that most resemble, in tribute, the bolts graphic of the "Dean From Hell" guitar. This guitar had a quality build crafted in Indonesia. In the two thousand teens (2013, 2014, 2015 etc.) construction of this Dean model series was moved to China and as a result the quality of build went downhill in my opinion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does well live. I never play a show with just one guitar as I like to use a Epiphone Les Paul 100 Honeyburst guitar for drop D tunings and a Ibanez Star Destroyer MK II XP300w Edge III Floyd Licensed Tremolo for styles needing wham-bar work. I can say this Dean Dime Black Bolt can handle whatever is dished out in all live situations. The hardware is gonna get the job done and last the lifetime of the guitar. Overall this is a solid build for a $300 to $400 dollar guitar. No guitar in this price range should be rated 10 as well, none of the guitars features should be rated 10. You do get a guitar that will give solid service and last many years. // 9

Overall Impression: I was lucky to get this 2007 model series brand new in 2014 by having friends in the right place at a Amazon warehouse. I would never by a Black Bolt from 2010 model series on as Dean has reduced the guitars quality since 2010. 1st moving production from Indonesia to China, dropping the mahogany body for basswood and dropping the DMT Dimebucker Blade pickup in favor of a Dean humbucker in 2015. All these changes has made the newest editions of the Black Bolt shadows of their former model series. But if you can find a 2010 model year and older then buy it as these guitars had good solid quality for the money spent. I feel the 2007 production year model with its blue and white colored hue lightning bolts on the midnight black finish is a standout in build quality, play ability, sound generation and one of the best stock finishes ever put onto a guitar surface. // 8

Dime Black Bolt Reviewed by: resjunkie, on november 30, 2009

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: steves music

Features: This guitar is great for a good practice or too show off to your friends, although my Fender Stratocaster is still bettter. The name of this guitar is called The BlackBolt. Its a Dimebag Darrel guitar and has gone under tha radar for a bit. The paint job is really nice, the green bolts accent the black pant nicely. The input slot gets a bit loose as many do, so tighten the bolt frequently. The pick ups are pretty good although it can produce a high pitch buzzing and pick up your voice. The tuning knobs are the real star of the show. Its meant to be tuned and de-tuned and tuned up again, it just doesn't go out of tune immediately. It has 22 frets not 24, but its reasonable. The guitars neck is probably one of the best ive ever felt. Its thin and not all glossed up like some guitars. This means sliding is very easy. I love this guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar only does great when your playing heavy metal. In my opinion this guitar with the DigiTech Metal master and some on amp effects just screams black metal. If your into Cradle Of Filth or Immortal, buy this guitar. This guitar always has full sound, and its nice and smooth, although there can be some odd buzzing every now and then. This guitar is great for sliding, tapping and tremolo picking. In my opinion a heavy but not muddy distortion plus some in amp chorus and reverb makes the perfect effects. And the sustain on this guitar is insane I held one of the highest notes for over 90 seconds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is a master piece in this section. The action is super fast and doesn't hinder my hands from having there crazy tapping fits. Basically it can handle any speed of playing. The shape of the body is really nice. It is not hard at all to hold and is very large. The problem with the largeness is the cost of the case. But the reason why i bought was because it was so easy to play and hold. The finish is one of the coolest in all of the Dean guitars. It truly is, with its white sunburst green lightning bolts all over the guitar, and the black background, this guitar is eye candy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The problem with this guitar is the fact that its strap knobs are retarded. I had to adjust my strap like crazy, because the knobs were to big. And after a bit the bolt on the output slot comes lose, this is easy to fix if you just hand tighten it after each session of playing.

This guitar is just a great practice guitar its pretty fragile because of its hollow body. I'm also too scared to let it out of the house it looks to nice! I would definitely say the finish will last, it seems pretty permanent. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm a third almost fourth year player and I also own a superior Fender Stratocaster. I like this guitar better because it gives a darker sound and its just more fun to play. I love this guitar because of the comfort-ability level and the way it looks, but my Fender is far better and just could kick its young butt any day. I wish this guitar had 2 more frets and thats about it. For the money its a great guitar, I have no serious problems with it. // 10

Dime Black Bolt Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2010

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: This guitar is a really nice guitar, it has 2 Dean pickups, one blade in the bridge and a standard in the neck. This guitar came with a cable which works very well with keeping feedback down, but it did not come with a case as I expected but it was ok. It has a nice black finish with green lightning bolts(it looks green, its not a white lightning bolt as shown in the picture, it looks MUCH better in person) They do make a version of this guitar with a Floyd Rose, but mine does not have one. It has a mahogany body with a Rosewood fingerboard and maple neck. My fingers slide up and down the fingerboard too! Its amazing! // 9

Sound: This is a great guitar for Heavy metal. I play music like System Of A Down, Cradle Of Filth, Suffocation, Metallica, and this is an AMAZING practice guitar! I am using it with a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt amplifier and I must admit it has impressing sound. Very well for playing heavy metal like Pantera and above. The pickups are great and there is no feedback on the guitar unless you have a crap cable or your in a room full of wireless electronics(which I am as a matter of fact), however one of the pickups(bridge I believe) doesn't give off enough power as the other pickup. I'm thinking about replacing the Pickups with EMG 81-85 or something like that. I also do very admire the sustain on this guitar, it lasts for a while if you pull off a long pinch harmonic. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was simple, plug, tune and play! Right out of the box it was ready to rock and head bang too. This guitar has no flaws as my eye can see, Dean has NEVER disappointed me with any broken products. Its also great for down tuning(I usually play in drop C). Its also a pretty lightweight guitar compared to most. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been accidentally banged around going through doors and stuff, and on high volume and high tone, the guitar hasn't been even scratched! The strap buttons don't even move, and if you need to adjust them, grab a Philips screwdriver and your ready to rock. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is EXCELLENT with metal, it works well with my Line 6 amp, and is great for practice and recording. I do however wish it had better pickups but its ok cause they are easily replaceable! This guitar if it ever broke or got stolen I would buy again with No Doubt this guitar. I love how my fingers just slide around the fretboard with no problem, little fret buzz and amazing fingerboard. If you are looking for a good practice guitar with a cool look and for metal, get this guitar! // 9

Dime Black Bolt Reviewed by: Casull454, on april 16, 2012

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: local music shop

Features: Not sure when mine was made, I'd guess it was within a two year-span, in China. It has 22 frets, 24.75" scale length bolt-on maple neck, with rosewood fingerboard, and Grover tuners. Body is ML style, made of mahogany. It has a green bolt graphic printed on it, covered with a glossy finish. My particular guitar came with Tune-o-matic bridge (string-thru body), but a Floyd Rose Special option also exists for it. Next, we get three knobs, two that control bridge and neck pickups and one tone knob. Also worth mentioning that knobs are actually DBD traction knobs, a special kind that enables you to easily grip them even with wet hands. Not too much to look at, but they are effective. There's also a 3-way pickup selector switch. The guitar comes with two Dean humbuckers, albeit in different configurations, bridge one is a dual blade-styled humbucker, and neck has a classical, open-topped one. There's a noticeable difference between them, as the neck one is significantly muddier then the bridge one. // 7

Sound: I play mostly trash metal, and similar higher-gain genres that pretty much require humbuckers in your gear. This guitar does a great job in all of them. I've also played everything from Joan Jett to Guns N' Roses on it, and it handled it like a champ. So far, I only got Vox Pathfinder 15R, and M-Audio's JamLab, so mot much room for experimentation with sound there. Tone knob is VERY effective however, and it does see use, taking the edge off for more of the rhythm stuff I play while ramping it up for leads, it is the most used effect on my whole rig. It's kinda embarrassing, but my rig is far from ideal for what I play. The guitar has decent output level, no background noise I could notice, including on high-gain. Sound quality is another matter, however. I mentioned before that the pickups are performing differently. The dual blade one on the bridge is being used 99% of time simply for the fact that it's brighter and clearer than the neck one, also sounding heavier on lower strings, which makes me wonder why did they even bother putting different neck pickups in guitars since one is clearly out-performing the other. I think this guitar will greatly benefit from installing better pickups. Not much variety as far as the sounds go, it makes nice bluesy tones when clear mode is on, mahogany body and string-thru body make for a great sustain, and the sound resonates very nicely on higher frets. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came nicely set up, the strings needed changing of course, but other than that, I didn't touch a single thing except tune the bridge up a bit. There's a bit of fret buzz, but it's not noticeable through the amp, which is surprising, because the action is set up very low. Guitar came in a very good condition, no rusted/oxidized hardware, no flaws of malfunctions of any kind. I conducted a very thorough inspection of the guitar when I tested it, making sure there aren't any such flaws, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will likely withstand live playing, but that depends heavily on the musician and how careful he is with his stuff. Guitar's shape has three extruding "fins" that will make the job of navigating around other equipment difficult and require much more attention from him, plus the guitar itself is a whole head longer then my Stratocaster. Hardware seems like it will last for some time, especially if the owner treats it well. Finish doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon. Strap buttons are rock-solid, I have an old Dunlop belt that I've used on my Strat, and it holds it very securely. Personally, I'm a bedroom player first and foremost, but if I was to ever gig with it, I doubt I'd go without a backup, then again, even if I had Gibson LP I wouldn't do it. I used to be a DJ and even while having to carry only headphones and CDs, lots of strange $(*1# happened during my career. // 8

Overall Impression: I play wide variety of music, rhythm trash metal being the most prominent for now. This axe took pretty nicely whatever I could throw at it with the exception of some chord-based rock songs, this guitar's neck really isn't made for that. What really impresses me about this guitar is bang for the buck it offers. It comes pretty cheap, and offers perfect beginner-to-intermediate performance, and with a little fine tuning and setup, it could become a very nice live performer that turns heads with it's looks. Also a fact worth of mentioning, despite the looks of it, it is a very comfortable guitar with a nicely balanced neck. It offers a very nice ergonomic solution for playing in classical stature with the guitar on the left leg, having the lower "fin" go under your right knee. This method is widely used by V-shaped guitar players. If lost or stolen, I'd probably invest and get a better one, which I'll eventually do anyway, but so far I've never had any major disappointments with this guitar, and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. // 7

Comments